• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does everyone score their game, is 3 standard for par?

I still don't understand why dg players can't do simple math. I played ball golf for years and we never used a scorecard. We said +1 or-1 and kept a running score in relation to par.
Umm, that's exactly what most disc golfers do considering probably 98% of disc golf holes really are Par 3's. When you've been doing that long enough, it probably is just easier to stick to the system when you come across that other 2%.

Once we start compiling performance stats like fairway percentage, birdies, recovery for par and greens in regulation, an accurate par will be needed on each hole for the stats to be determined and make sense.

Chuck you should make all of your points in groups of 3 so they can understand it.

Once we start compiling performance stats like fairway percentage, birdies, recovery for par and greens in regulation, an accurate par will be needed on each hole for the stats to be determined and make sense.

How many courses do you know (just as a percentage) with well defined greens and fairways? How bad does your first shot have to be to make your 3 a "recovery for par"? Those things are concepts from ballgolf courses where you can see the dividing line by the different grass cuts.

And we still dont need them. You can do a nice performance analysis without par. You can write down comments on each and every one of your shots if you want and dont need par.

How many courses do you know (just as a percentage) with well defined greens and fairways? How bad does your first shot have to be to make your 3 a "recovery for par"? Those things are concepts from ballgolf courses where you can see the dividing line by the different grass cuts.

And we still dont need them. You can do a nice performance analysis without par. You can write down comments on each and every one of your shots if you want and dont need par.

It's fine if you're not a number person, but arguing that there's no point for other people to be interested in collecting and organizing data from disc golf tournaments is a bit shortsighted IMO. Golf fans love to be able to see things like how certain holes are playing relative to par or which part of a certain hole is costing people strokes (driving, chipping or putting). I don't see why that doesn't transfer really well to disc golf.

Golf fans love to be able to see things like how certain holes are playing [relative to par] or which part of a certain hole is costing people strokes (driving, chipping or putting).

I am an accountant and keep close stats of my game. Who says I am not a numbers person? Don't assume things just cause you dont understand my point.

All the things I quoted you on (exception the mention of par that I put brackets around) can be followed without using par. Easily.

Lets say you put a 200 foot upshot to within 15 feet and miss the putt. Why would you need to know a par for that hole to determine whether your upshot or your putt was the bad shot?

It also depends on the person. Lets say you can approach like a god but can't putt to save your life. Maybe a 200 foot approach that was within 15 is bad for you, and missing a 15 footer is no big deal.

Same goes for all other stats you are talking about. Par is just added on top of them and has no real use.

Again, in ball golf, with their handicap system and a proper way of determining par, it may be different. We dont have those systems in disc golf. And frankly, I dont like handicap systems anyway, they can keep that for ball golf IMO.

Last edited:
:doh: :doh:
:doh: :doh:

What If we told you par was just a state of mind?

What If we told you par was just a state of mind?

i'd say gimme some of that stuff you smoke.

:hfive::hfive:
:hfive::hfive:

seriously though : i'd say that it's pretty normal for people with no real arguments to evade actually answering my points.

Played a tournament this weekend with most of the holes 600ft+ with one being 1500ft. All of them were par 3's. Toughest course I have ever played. Took 6 hrs to finish the round and we started at 7500ft elevation and finished at 4000ft. I only got a couple pars. When I did it felt really good.

If I am playing against another person I will use the over/under method and count everything as a par 3 just for simplicity sake. Obviously, no matter what we call them as long as we all use the same standard it makes for quick and easy score comparison. When I play by myself, I count strokes because the over/under is useless. I also survey the course and decide if any of the pars are 2, 3, 4, etc. If a hole is easily 2-able, I like to note that in the total par for the course as it helps you know what you need to work on for a particular course. Often times I will go back to that hole when I am on the course and throw it a bunch of times or even play it or survey it backwards just to get a good picture of where the ideal spot to approach from would be. This has proven to be very useful and can quickly give you a "local" advantage over other players on any course you have easy access to.

Latest posts