• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do you wait before you keep a disc?

Yehosha

Eagle Member
Any discs I find, I always try to return to their owner. If there's a name and number I call it, if not, I ask around or post it up on our club's FB page.

My question is, how long do you all wait after you have called the number on the disc before you sell it, trade it, give it away, or keep it for yourself?

This has been done to death. Make every effort you can to return the disc. If you can't find the owner or they do not respond, then it is yours.

Just leave it where you found it, or if your club keeps a lost and found drop it there. Let someone else deal with the conundrum. Problem solved.

Golden Rule.
As soon as you can sleep at night with a clear conscience (about your efforts), it's yours to do with as you please.
These (ensuing) discussions always revolve around the fact that this point comes much more quickly for some than others.

Just leave it where you found it, or if your club keeps a lost and found drop it there. Let someone else deal with the conundrum. Problem solved.
More like problem delegated............. Currently there is 50 discs in the L&F bin that I hold for a few local courses.

None of them are "bag-worthy" for me personally so i was just gonna throw them in a recycle bin somewhere random.

:popcorn:

I wait until my call is returned or I play a hole with a long water carry (kidding). About a week.

If theres a number on the disc I call it. If there's no number I stick it in my bag with a MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MINE!!!!!!

If there are others on the course I do usually ask if they lost a disc and if so what kind was it. Theres a ton of water on my bread and butter daily course. I went out 5 feet deep once to retrieve my disc and it was like Christmas. I ended up with over a dozen. Great day that was :)

This has been done to death. Make every effort you can to return the disc. If you can't find the owner or they do not respond, then it is yours.

Didn't really read the OP before responding, did you? It seems the OP was asking how long you should wait to hear back from someone you have already tried to contact before deciding to keep the disc as your own. I have run across a similar dilemma, as I have a few discs that I have called and talked to the owner and we agreed to meet up "some time," but I think at this point it is on them to make that happen, and I never heard from most of them again.

I think if you call and leave a message and don't hear back within two weeks you can claim the disc as your own. In my situation where I am waiting for the owner to contact me about a time to meet up I am giving them ~6 months.

Didn't really read the OP before responding, did you? It seems the OP was asking how long you should wait to hear back from someone you have already tried to contact before deciding to keep the disc as your own.

This actually was the correct answer. Make every effort, but it's up to the "loser" to respond in a timely manner. If it's important to them, they'll jump on it. I would.

I would say a week, if you made a call and left a message or sent a text. Even that is a long time, given how instant communication is these days. The guy who waited six months went above and beyond. If there is no name or number, and no one on the course nearby, it is up for grabs. Technically it is yours as soon as you find it, but it is definitely good etiquette to make an attempt to return it.

True story: I lost my favorite disc in the water last weekend. I wasn't happy. On the second round there was a neon orange disc laying out in the middle of no where. I asked two nearby groups, no one claimed it. It didn't have a name or number. And it was the exact model and weight I had just thrown into the creek. I bagged it, and threw it on the next hole, where it hyzered in between two trees, landed and curled right around the basket.

I always call (I seem to be the local "repository" at my local course). Worst case scenario--got a disc, called the dude, we communicated over a 2 week period, established a "meet" at a given time, I waited 35+ minutes past that meet time, finally texted the a**hole "where is he", he apologized that he forgot. That disc is going in my bag, sold at Play It Again, or given to a newbie. I am tending to go with keep with what you find (if you tried to contact).

This actually was the correct answer. Make every effort, but it's up to the "loser" to respond in a timely manner. If it's important to them, they'll jump on it. I would.

Typically when a questions involves the phrase "how long" the answer should involve a number. The duration of the "timely manner" you mention was what the OP was asking, and neither you or Prerube actually gave a number, or even implied one. The OP made it pretty clear he already contacts people and will keep the disc eventually if he doesn't hear from them, he just wanted to know how long to wait.

I call right away. If no response by the time I'm finished playing and the number is local, I hide it under a trash can near a tee and leave a message stating where it is. If its not a local number, I throw it in my trunk and wait a few days. If no response or pick up by then...

I don't even put my name or number on my plastic. In my mind, if I give up on searching for a disc, it is not really my disc anymore. That being said, I do my damndest to get a disc back to someone if it has ink.

Typically when a questions involves the phrase "how long" the answer should involve a number. The duration of the "timely manner" you mention was what the OP was asking, and neither you or Prerube actually gave a number, or even implied one. The OP made it pretty clear he already contacts people and will keep the disc eventually if he doesn't hear from them, he just wanted to know how long to wait.

There is no "number". The number would vary in number by the number of people offering their opinion with a number. Just make the effort to try to get it back to them, and if they flake out, they don't want it back bad enough to make the finder lose sleep over it. If you want a number, I guess it would be somewhere between a week or two to 6 months.

My question is, how long do you all wait after you have called the number on the disc before you sell it, trade it, give it away, or keep it for yourself?

Personally? Up to a year, maybe longer.

Well, I don't sell or trade discs, and I've really got plenty already, and not that much time to throw them all, so my lust for new discs is diminished these days---especially new discs that are already old and used and inked.

Many years ago, I would have answered "about a week". Back when I just had the discs in my bag, and played every day.

I had found a disc once while playing with one of my friends. There was a name on the disc; however, my friend said that he didn't know the guy. There wasn't a number on the disc for me to call. I decided to keep it. Later that night, I was hanging out with my friend and his wife. His wife told me that she knew the guy that lost his disc. I was obviously disappointed, because it was my first disc I had found. I asked her, if the guy wanted his disc back or not. She tried texting the guy back, but I don't know if he ever responded. I ended up having to leave the next day (I live two hours away from them). I still have the disc.

I will admit, I was being super greedy. I could have easily left the disc with my friends. However, if you don't put a phone number on your disc, OR you don't respond back to a text message in a timely manner, in regards to your lost disc, I am just going to assume you don't want it. Nevertheless, I do try to contact the owner(s) of lost discs, if I see a phone number on it. If it was me, I would like that person to try and get a hold of me.

2 years 3 months 22 days 7 hours 1 minute and 4 seconds.....after that??? Who knows

I make a few phone calls, send a few text and then throw it into a pile. In the truck I have 20 or so that I have carried all summer. Some find their way home and others just sit around. Put in a reasonable effort, ask around and if nothing happens keep it.

What's funny are the stories behind some discs. Last one I called about was lost by the original owner 7 years ago, he thanked me for the call and told me to enjoy it. He was in Texas and had moved from Raleigh long ago.

Latest posts