• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] how many backups do you really need?

Well, I have 1 backup for every main disc I use. I try to buy in pairs when at all possible to insure a legit new backup for lost disc or one breaking in too much.

I have 3-4 backups of each weight Roc I throw(180,171) (i carry 2 of each weight), cause they break-in and i need to have backup for each phase.

I have 3-4 backup KC Aviars as well(i carry 2). For the same reason, level of break-in.

I have 9 backup DX aviars. I use them for putting practice as well as my in-round putter too.

I have 6 Blizz Bosses. 2 are 157, 4 are 150. I only carry a single 157 normally though.

Those are the only discs I have more than a single back up for.

just need 1-2 backups of each, i ain't greedy.

however, I'll stockpile as many as I can of certain less expensive OOP drivers (red 1.1 SOF's, 2006 grippy Star Valkyries, and pearly JK Valkyries).

don't have ANY backups for pricey collector mids like Kenny Glow Roc, FR Spider, PL Gremlin, Champ Gator. If I lost mine I would just post a wanted ad and pay the piper at that time.

I figure 5-6 backups for my key drivers should be enough to last awhile. Depends on where you play! I play at West Lake Park a lot so I go through a lot of discs, I have lost as many as 4 in one round out there (epic water hazards, swirling winds, swimming prohibited).

Build up the stock while you have access to am tourney payouts! When you get too good to play am, you will have to pay cash for all your discs!

Wow some of you are hoarders lol!

I keep 2-3 of a disc that I throw daily.

Only big stockpile I have is putters. I try to get tasty challengers whenever I come across them. I have 8 old barstamps, a couple emac's, a couple team stamps, and a few current production ones that are tasty...however most of them are in my practice basket at home so they get used daily.

I've got a few discs that are used for high risk shots; Dx Teebirds, Elite-X buzzz, and G9i wizard mainly. A lot of my local courses have some nasty swamp water (smells like poo) so it's nice not to have to risk a $20 disc on those shots (used dx birds are $2.50 locally, win).

I've got about 5-6 of each of my high risk discs and 1-2 backups of each of the rest of my bag. Oh, and like 15 backup Magics.

I'm a hoarder. Least backups of a mold: 5 flat pearly Z Wasps. Most backups of a mold, not counting my 100+ Wizards: at least 24 S-PDs - a dozen or more identical first runs).

I don't often loose discs so I only have 1-2 backups of most discs in my bag. The only exception is Champion Bosses. The early run stock stamped Bosses fly like the first runs and I love them, so I stocked up like 4 years ago, still got about 10 of them left.

1-2 backups of each mold in the bag and another 2-3 backups at home unless it's something rare or OOP. If it's rare or OOP, I try to horde the crap out of it. I have like 10 black DX Aviars just because they're more difficult to get my hands on. I have 6-7 old, flat Z Wasps (with the old Discraft stamp) because they're increasingly more difficult to find.

I've got alot of backups for molds I throw. Im just curious, at what point do realize you have enough of one mold?
Different thread, but I'll post this link again: A little rant about boutique (rare discs)

As for practicality, I'd carry two reasonably equal copies of your important molds i.e. the ones that you'd throw the most often, regardless of situation. That way you're not totally screwed on a round if you lose one.

And I generally don't carry backups b/c my home course is very, very open.

This is also a plug to carry discs in easily-findable colors: yellow, orange, pink are all good.

This made me go through my stacks of plastic to see how many of each mold in my bag I have sitting around waiting to be thrown or that have been beat to the point where I no longer like them. Here's the numbers and you tell me if I have too many, I can't tell.

Max Distance:
ESP Venom: 14 (1 in bag, 13 backup)
Opto Villain: 4 (1 in bag, 3 exact same color and weight as backup)
ESP Force: 16 (1 in bag, 10 backup, 5 no longer being thrown)
Z Surge: 3 (1 in bag, 2 backup)

Fairway:
Gold Line Trident: 3 (1 in bag, 1 backup, 1 no longer being thrown)
Opto Striker: 17 (2 in bag, 12 backup, 3 no longer being thrown)

Midrange:
Z Hornet: 5 (1 in bag, 4 exact same weight and color as backup)
Z MRV: 4 (1 in bag, 3 backup)
FLX Buzzz: 22 (1 in bag, 14 backup, 7 no longer being thrown)
ESP Comet: 9 (1 in bag, 8 backup)

Putter:
Zero Line Spike: 10 (2 in bag, 8 putter practice backup's)
Gripline Spike: 2 (1 in bag, 1 no longer being thrown)
Yeti Pro: 5 (1 in bag, 4 exact same weight and color as backups)

I may have a few too many...

I carry 3 surges atm 2esp 1z... Would be 5 but I don't have the money to justify buying another new esp or a 150 class surge. I don't carry other drivers other than avenger ss(rollers tommys), flick(both overheads) and force (headwind and super meathook compared to what I'm used to)

I'd like to have a big ol stack of surges to just practice with... In good time.

I'd like to get a basket and a stack of S and RFF wizards. I may switch from wizards to something else. I'll have to test some out. I like the challengers, but my brother hoards all the ones we find in used bins lol.

For some reason I tend to lose discs less if I have a lot of backups...seems like it would be the other way around. I like to keep a lot of D driver backups for a couple reasons...First there is a lot of water on distance holes around here. If you play at my home course it's not if you will lose your D driver, it's when. One bad day, a lapse of concentration, or rogue wind gust and you are in the drink. Secondly, neutral D drivers tend to show a lot of disc to disc variation. So what if you throw something that's in production if you can't just get another that will fly like the one you lost...Finally, D drivers are thrown harder than other discs with less control...So a little difference in stability is harder to compensate for, and the consequences of misjudgement more severe. When I find a driver I really like I want between 4-7 backups. I have 7 cobalt blue 175g VIP Swords, and I'm still on the first one as my main driver...I just had to switch out my new/stable Sword because it was starting to break in a little and I want a fresh Sword in that slot. If I ever lose my original or it gets to flippy that other one will be back in the bag.

I tend to hoard more Lat/Westside stuff because CDGS orders large shipments with low frequency (shipping sucks) from them, so if I find something I like it may get sold out and not be replaced for many months. Then when we do order from them again we will be getting totally different runs of the discs (which may or may not fly the same).

Besides that I like to have backups for everything for practice. I don't get to the course like I used to be able to, so now when I go I often load up my stroller full of extras and throw a few hundred shots...Or I go to the field.

The only disc in my bag I currently need a couple more backups for is my Opto Villains.

I have 2 Champion thrower Whippets, and 36 backups! I then have 10 thrower Z Nukes and 88 backups! So, thats probably a little too many backups...

...and, I have around 6 glow dx aviars putters, with like 10 backups. Marshall Street and their Glow Plastic sales, loves me 2 or 20 glow aviars for $8.50 each and free shipping over $50 too!

I have at least 2-3 backups of my go-to discs in my bag at all times. It is the worst when you lose one of your main discs mid-round and don't have another one to throw.

Drivers and mids: 1-3.

Putting Putters: You need 4 or more in the same weight so you can practice efficiently. (If you care to improve)

I have 2 Champion thrower Whippets, and 36 backups! I then have 10 thrower Z Nukes and 88 backups! So, thats probably a little too many backups...
And it comes out! I have wanted to ask you how many throwers of your champ x-whippets you had.

And that's an obscene amount of Z nukes.

Photos or it didn't happen...(and we've seen the whippets).

88 Z nukes i think we have a winner.

i have been selling off my wizards. had 100 easy but now probably down to 80ish or less.

The thing is i only hoard the non production discs so i have over 10 of each of those in matching color/stamps.

destroyers i don't know 40 or 50ish tops
Firebirds 25-30
wizards 80 or less now
pre 2006 champ rocs 13
Comets 30ish
Buzzzes 25ish
roadrunners 25ish

green magics evo plastic 4 now these are my current spin putters for outside 20 feet. i feel naked with no way to get backups.

According to my spreadsheet:

Chains Aviars: 18
KC/JK/Yeti Aviars: 20
05 SB Rocs: 13
Ontario Rocs: 67
Other Rocs: 83
CE Leopards: 9
STAR Leopards: 11
CE Eagles: 8
CE Sharks: 2
DX Rams: 5
Eco Darts: 8
11x Eagles: 14
10x Eagles: 7
Ch Starfires: 13
Ch SL: 6

Most of these molds aren't even regularly in the bag just for certain types of courses. Need more CE Sharks.
: ) :

Latest posts