• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how many discs are in your bag?

...Like most (all?) players who've been at it awhile, I've fallen for the hype and own way too many discs. I throw RHBH... Shark/Roc/Cro are basically all the same IMO (go med range and then hook left). Firebird/Destroyer/TeeRex/Monster/Starfire are about the same (go long then hook left). Beast/Valk/Leopard are similar also (go high right then left).

I've basically come to the point where I'll buy same/similar backups for the discs I like a lot, but I've decided I need to just get more focused on technique than the "technology" aspect. Lost discs are no myth. When I first started, I would hunt forever for discs. Now, I will look for 5-10min and call it a day. Your time is worth something, and it's not worth a $10 disc to get your legs and face scratched up by branches or a $50 pair of shoes and socks smelling like swamp. JMO... now go search the forests on the courses I play lol.

I think the main reason any non-pros to carry 15+ is just because they want to show off their collection, want to try their newer discs but don't want to retire old reliable ones, or really can't decide.

Last edited:
I'm definitely a believer in the "less is more" philosophy. Some guys I play with walk around with tournament bags packed to the gills with 20+ discs. I don't really understand this reasoning. Honestly, how many discs do you actually throw in a round? I also like getting creative and making do with what I have. You also start to realize that you can play just as well if not better with fewer discs.

My simple 7 disc set up for when I play a course with little chance of losing a disc is this:

Wizard SSS - 175
KC Pro Roc - 167
R-Pro Roc - 180
CE Leopard - 172
Star Teebird - 173
CE Firebird - 175
Star Wraith - 168

When I play a course that may claim a few of my discs I'll carry 12. In addition to the 7 above I'll carry:

Wizard SS - 175
Pro Teebird-L -175
Champion Valk - 167
Champion Firebird - 174
DX Wraith - 167

Having too many discs makes you second guess your throws and concentrate on which disc is correct instead of the throw itself. It's also somehow satisfying when you beat those guys with 22 discs in 15 molds with just 7 discs.

twelve, and i could probably get away with taking 3 or so out and still play the same. its nice to have certain discs in the bag that you know you can make do what you want when needed, though. when i throw my thrashed avenger SS high, hard, and flat (LHBH) it soars, turns left, and glides down while flattening out, perfect for getting around blind corners to the left . only shot i use it for besides the occasional attempt at a roller

Lately, I've been carrying 17, 9 molds. When I carry my crunch box, it's more like 11 or 12 with 4 or 5 molds (Eagle, Buzzz, Wizard, some kind of understable mid, and some kind of beefy driver for utility purposes). The discs/molds I add are a Comet, a Demon, and different overstable driver.

I have 20 in my bag but I don't throw them all regularly. The number of each mold changes periodically as I loose and replace discs, but this is about normal:

5 Wizards. 1 putting, 1 for when I need a softer one, 1 approach and 2 (new and beat) for driving. I usually use 3 per round (putter, approach and one driving).

2 Rocs. 1 KC Pro and 1 DX. They're both fairly new so I'm beating them in. The DX is noticeably more overstable than the KC Pro.

3 DX Gazelles. Different stages of wear.

3 Teebirds. 2 DX, 1 Star. I have one nice and beat DX and I just lost (aka forgot to get after a throw) a sorta beat one so I get to replace it with a new one. The Star is apparently there for show because I never throw it. It seems like I'm always just trying to beat in another DX.

1 X Avenger. It's my distance driver for now but I have enough distance drivers that I probably will replace it with something else when it either gets too beat or I loose it (more likely). It's basically for longer Teebird shots or when there's a bit more wind than I like for a beat Teebird.

1 SOLF. Long hyzers/headwind distance. I'm usually happy after I throw it.

3 Spirits. 1 newish E, 1 "tuned" E that's high speed understable and I almost never throw and 1 beat S that's not all that different from my SOLF. I don't use the S very much now that I have the SOLF.

1 Star Destroyer. Token Star Wars reference disc. I'll use it for sidearm throws every once in a while, but only because it's there. I could drop it and it wouldn't affect my normal game at all.

1 ESP Nuke. I found it a couple weeks ago and keep forgetting to take it out or throw it to see what it does.

So, if you look at what I throw vs. what's in there just to take up space:

Throw - 4 Wizards, 2 Rocs, 3 Gazelles, 2 Teebirds, 1 Avenger, 1 SOLF, 1 Spirit.

Show - 1 Wizard (custom stamped for our wedding), 1 Teebird, 2 Spirits (though they kind of act as backups for the Avenger and SOLF...at least that's how I justify carrying them), 1 Destroyer, 1 Nuke.

3 boss
3 katana
2 excaliber
2 teerex
3 roc
2 rhyno(champ,pro)
1 comet
1 buzz
1 pig

As of right now, I have been taking 9 discs to the course.

SSS Voodoo
SS Voodoo
2x Z Buzzz
Z Stalker
Z XL (will probably be replaced by another Stalker)
ESP Surge
FLX Surge
Z Predator

Been using this bag for a couple weeks now and haven't felt like I was missing anything major. The more I use the Predator, the more I realize how versatile it really is.

16 total
12 drivers (serval multiples)
4 Mids
2 putters

I have 8 different drivers, but several are in different plastics. I could go down to 10 discs total, but I like to a disc for just about every shot and condition with room in my bag for extras. I like to carry a couple of towels and tons of water, and it's the water not the discs that bring me back down.

Last edited:
Since so many people have responded, I guess its time to confess what all is in my bag

Champ Groove
Star Katana
Star Sidewinder
2x Star Wraiths
Star Destroyer
Z Force
Pro Starfire
Champ Monarch
KC Pro 11x Teebird (found it in a lake inkless, its ok to be jealous)
Champion 11x Firebird (also found in a lake, owner didn't want to pay for shipping)
Star Leopard
Discraft "Super Drive XL Flathead Driver" no idea what it is or where it came from, but crazy under stable
DX Archangel
KC Pro Roc
FLX Buzzz
DX Stingray, bought it in 02, beat to crap, awesome for tommys
DX Valkyrie, beat to crap, awesome for flippy tommys
FLX Challenger

Have more discraft on the way, may replace some of my innova, we'll see.