• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs, is too many?

Luigispice

Just wondering if there is actually a rule of how many discs you can use in a round?

And if there isn't, how many do you typically use?

I don't play that often, so I stick to 3 or four plus the putter.

I have 7 plus a putter in my bag. I tend to use 4 of those regularly with the other 3 used for specific purposes.

I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of discs you're allowed to carry per the official rules though.

There is not a rule about how many discs you can carry or use during a round. However, any discs thrown during a round must be in you possession at the beginning of the round. So you cannot stop at your car during a round and grab another disc. So if you only carry one driver and happen to lose it, you will have to use whatever you have with you.

There is not a rule about how many discs you can carry or use during a round. However, any discs thrown during a round must be in you possession at the beginning of the round. So you cannot stop at your car during a round and grab another disc. So if you only carry one driver and happen to lose it, you will have to use whatever you have with you.

I've broken that rule before :)

I carry 16 discs. 11 drivers, 3 mid-range and a putter. Why so many? 5 of the drivers are the Innova Ace. Different weights and beat up differently so they all have a different flight path. The other drivers 1 - TeeBird, 1- Wraith, 2 - Sidewinders (150gr & 172gr), 1- Valkyrie, 1 - Spectra, 1 - Riptide. They all have there purpose depending on the shot. Mid-range are 1 -Coyote, 1 - Meteor (from the 2006 Ace Race), and 1 - Kite. My putter is the Aviar Driver. I like it better then the standard Aviar.

I've broken that rule before :)

That's why it is good to carry a couple extra. Especially if you have never played the course or have not played it in a long time. Fairways through the woods change all the time with new saplings and trees falling over.

I've got 19 in the bag.

1 Wraith (Star)
1 Starfire (Star)
1 Sidewinder (Star)
3 Teebirds (Star TL, Star, Champ)
2 Leopards (Star, Champ)
1 Coyote
6 Rocs (Champ, Special Blend, KC, 3 DX)
4 Rhynos (Champ, Pro, 2 DX)

There is no rule against adding discs to your bag during a round. Rule 802.01 Discs Used in Play says nothing about this. The only stipulation is that they be uniquely marked, and not cracked or perforated.

That's interesting.. good to know I wasn't doing anything against the rules when I grabbed a new driver after losing one. Although I was only playing for fun so there wasn't any reason to strictly adhere to the rules.

I have 8 discs that I use in my bag and an old putter I don't use anymore.

1 DX Wraith
1 Champ Orc
1 Star TL (latest addition won in CTP contest)
1 Star TeeRex
1 DX Valk
1 DX Roc
1 DX Cobra (don't use much)
1 Pro Aviar

I've only been playing for about 6 months so I'm sure these are likely to change as I progress.

Right now my bag has:

2 Pro Starfires (one beat-up, one new)
1 Pro Wraith
1 DX Cobra
1 DX Shark
1 DX Viper (tree beater)
1 Pro TeeRex
1 Soft Wizard

I also ordered a Raging Inferno DT 166 the other day that I wanted to try out after reading some good things about them.

Drive:
1 Heavy Star TeeRex
1 Pro Wraith
2 Orcs (1 heavy, 1 midweight)
1 Pro Beast
2 Firebirds (1 heavy, 1 midweight)
1 Valkyrie
1 Eagle
2 Teebirds (1 heavy, 1 light)
1 Champion Whippet
2 Gazelle's (1 11x, 1 10x)
Approach:
1 Spider
1 Rhyno
1 Roc
1 Ace-Race Meteor
Putt:
2 1080 Radius Soft Putters

So I guess the answer to the topic question is... 21 :)

Side note: I just picked up the 1080's this last weekend, I had been putting Aviars. I got one in a player package, played with it a bit, and quickly bought two more. I think it's the first putter I can actually say that incrementally improved my putting.

There is no rule against adding discs to your bag during a round. Rule 802.01 Discs Used in Play says nothing about this. The only stipulation is that they be uniquely marked, and not cracked or perforated.

Yeah, I'd seen this come up in a thread before. You can stop at the local disc guy's truck, buy a whole new set, dump everything in your bag and continue on if you want to. But you must put a unique mark on the disc (ie: sharpie your name or rune on it) before you can throw it.

Hmm.. I may have to try one of those 1080 discs now :)

during a recent doubles round at our home course my partner carried 20 discs and I carried 8, we won with a 16 under par (missed 2 birdies) and I only threw 3, forehand, backhand and putter, my partner threw at least 10-12 discs with 4-5 beings rocs. If I were playing on an unfamiliar course I would carry a full big bag.

I carry 8. 4 drivers, 2 mid and 2 putters. I find I don't have time to learn a lot of discs. Knowing what your discs do is key.

Luigispce, I'm sorry 60% of the reponses turned into a "What's in my bag" from everyone. I haven't been playing for that long and rather than telling you what I've got just make sure you've got a disc for all situations you might find yourself in. You don't need a sidearm or overhand disc if you don't throw those shots or a roller disc if you don't have roller holes on your course.

I would recommend having a backup of your favorite driver and maybe midrange too especially if you play tournaments. I try to take a minimalist approach to my bag but when it's tourney time I bring just about every disc I own...just in case.

No sweat Justin. Personally, i don't like having a bag so that keeps me at a minimum. I don't play enough to notice the subtle differences between discs. I think 5 is the most i've carried, 4 is more usual.

And if that keeps it fun for you then you're a winner already...not that we're being competetive...;)

Latest posts