• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many mid-range molds?

I used to throw the whole Buzzz family for midranges (two buzzzes, an SS, an OS, all 177) but have since dropped the SS and OS from the bag. I was never in love with the discs, but felt pretty comfortable throwing them because I'll always love my Buzzz.

I've since switched to throwing a 170 champ mako3 and 177 comet for my understable mids, and a 177 prime burst verdict for my slightly OS mid (might need to figure out another for an even more OS mid slot). To me, the SS always just felt like a slightly flippier buzzz, not really a different disc. Whereas the mako3 is a very reliable point and shoot kind of disc where if I throw it well it stays on that line to the ground. The comet is more of a hyzerflip to flat or turnover with a lot of glide, depending on how hard I throw it. Like, a LOT of glide.

I guess what I'm saying is I think you should try out other mids to see what you think :)

I used to throw the whole Buzzz family for midranges (two buzzzes, an SS, an OS, all 177) but have since dropped the SS and OS from the bag. I was never in love with the discs, but felt pretty comfortable throwing them because I'll always love my Buzzz.

I've since switched to throwing a 170 champ mako3 and 177 comet for my understable mids, and a 177 prime burst verdict for my slightly OS mid (might need to figure out another for an even more OS mid slot). To me, the SS always just felt like a slightly flippier buzzz, not really a different disc. Whereas the mako3 is a very reliable point and shoot kind of disc where if I throw it well it stays on that line to the ground. The comet is more of a hyzerflip to flat or turnover with a lot of glide, depending on how hard I throw it. Like, a LOT of glide.

I guess what I'm saying is I think you should try out other mids to see what you think :)

Where I'm at right now. 175 Buzzz (one Z, one ESP) 175 Wasp, 175ish comet. Don't like the comet really, it's the grip, very similar rim to the Wasp just not comfortable for me. I'm waiting on a Buzzz SS bc I love the buzz grip and am hoping it'll fill the understable slot and have the similar feel. I kind of want how you described "not really a different disc". Well see how it goes.

Where I'm at right now. 175 Buzzz (one Z, one ESP) 175 Wasp, 175ish comet. Don't like the comet really, it's the grip, very similar rim to the Wasp just not comfortable for me. I'm waiting on a Buzzz SS bc I love the buzz grip and am hoping it'll fill the understable slot and have the similar feel. I kind of want how you described "not really a different disc". Well see how it goes.

very funny you say that as I'm honestly not a fan of how the comet feels either. I picked one up in a player's pack, threw it a few times, and just didn't like the feel enough to bag it. but there's this one course I play a lot with some old abandoned quarry rock piles that line some fairways so I started bringing the comet there for a disc I wouldn't mind losing. even though I still don't like the feel I've had so many good throws with it that, for now, I'm going to keep trying it out. I hate winter golf though :(

hope you like the SS! if you ever want to check out a mako, I would suggest mako3 as opposed to regular mako - much better feel when it's flat

very funny you say that as I'm honestly not a fan of how the comet feels either. I picked one up in a player's pack, threw it a few times, and just didn't like the feel enough to bag it. but there's this one course I play a lot with some old abandoned quarry rock piles that line some fairways so I started bringing the comet there for a disc I wouldn't mind losing. even though I still don't like the feel I've had so many good throws with it that, for now, I'm going to keep trying it out. I hate winter golf though :(

hope you like the SS! if you ever want to check out a mako, I would suggest mako3 as opposed to regular mako - much better feel when it's flat

I feels ya on the winter golf homie. And I do use the comet for a trainer, still don't like the feel though.

Mids are weird for me

Pretty sure I could drop them and be okay. I also feel comfortable bagging different mids when that's not the case for fairway or drivers.

Mostly using cobras and/or discs that feel the same (comet, sentinel). Champ cobra and dx are my most dependable.

I really only need a straight mid and understable. US mids are my go to in the woods. I'll throw a dx cobra on a 375 wooded hole rather than a high speed driver.

My mid lineup is a Z Buzzz (a little bit worn and with some dome, so it's a more neutral one) and a Big Z Buzzz that is pretty beefy (beefy enough that I dropped my Drone recently, though I still miss the Drone in certain situations). Then I always have either a domey Z Comet or X Comet for those Comet lines. I also have an Opto Pure and Ti Zone in the bag, and they, of course, come out of the bag for lots of midrange type shots.

The midrange section of my bag is the one that has been pruned down over the years. I used to carry 1-2 Buzzz plus Hornet, Meteor, Drone, and Comet. I still like all the other discs, but the Comet and Buzzz are the ones that have had staying power for me.

...Some of you guys say "just buy used discs." This puts the cart before the horse - say you luck into a stack of DX Ranchos from 10/10 all the way through 5/10... yeah you have the full spectrum but you're missing the experience with each disc. There's no way to buy a stack of familiarity with a mold, that comes from beating these discs on the course yourself. Buying used discs is a fair solution to the issue of losing a perfectly beat roc, but that's it.

The experience of each disc? If you like a cradle-to-grave, spiritual connection with your plastic, I can see how this makes sense.

Otherwise, it really isn't hard to find familiarity, or build a stack of like/cycled backups, when you know what you're looking for.

It takes away the choice of which disc, and just leaves you with the question of what line do I want.

But it doesn't really take away the choice of which disc, as you have three to choose from.

And sure, you'll choose which line, then use the disc for it. I do the same thing, just with different molds rather than the same mold being cycled.

^out of context and you missed the point. I was suggesting to just select a favorite stable mid and play with it alone for a while, using my personal choice as an example. Could be a truth, QMS, sling, whatever you want. The point is thinking about executing the shot, and not which disc will execute the shot for you will improve your mid game.

But go ahead and edit out parts of quotes for the sake of arguement if you want. Full post can be found a page back.

Learn your lines with 1 mid and see your scores drop. It takes away the choice of which disc, and just leaves you with the question of what line do I want.

^out of context and you missed the point. I was suggesting to just select a favorite stable mid and play with it alone for a while, using my personal choice as an example. Could be a truth, QMS, sling, whatever you want. The point is thinking about executing the shot, and not which disc will execute the shot for you will improve your mid game.

But go ahead and edit out parts of quotes for the sake of arguement if you want. Full post can be found a page back.

It made sense to me. I actually have been doing this with two buzzzes lately just to master the mold. It's helped my mental game too confident when I grab that Buzzz

So since posting this originally I've settled on kicking the Z buzzes out for now(at my current level of play I don't need the small bit of extra stability they give) and I have two esps I'll beat one and keep one fresh-ish still have the wasp and decided to go with the x Buzzz to beat in for understable shots. And while they're not really mid range molds in my hands I feel that the harp and pure deserve mention. Great approach discs and honestly the more this BT hard harp seasons the longer it gets.

Pain, Mace, Core, Claymore, and Fuse. For heavily wooded courses a must. I just love the glide of the Core, Claymore, and Fuse... however on open shots into 20+mph headwinds all my mids stay in the bag.

By flight stability, least to most
Moonshine Claymore
Fuzion Truth
2 prime Emac Truths (172 and 179. It's an experiment on wear and tear)
Moonshine Verdict

Also, I throw an electron firm Atom (straight elevator) and a Jokeri (Prodiscus champion plastic...the name of their plastic escapes me at the moment) for shorter overstable needs. Putters by name but I consider them as part of my mid lineup

So...7 discs, 6 unique molds

Since I'm a fan of fairway drivers and try to throw putter more often, I bag 2 Compass as the only real mid range.
On the other hand I would argue that my Sareks/Mercys are stable enough to fill the gap left by a understable mid and that my Decodye Harp is OS enough to pick out when its too windy for my Moonshine Compass.

Nice to not have half a bag of mid range discs that you throw once each round.

...when you know what you're looking for.

This is kind of what I'm getting at - if you know what you're looking for, congratulations! You have the experience with your chosen mold to know what you're looking for. My advice is for players just starting out with DG or who are looking into trying to go mold minimalist.

I agree with what you're saying tho - if you know what to look for, you're golden. If I'm being honest with myself, I know that I'm not doing myself any favors fussing over a cycle of discs.

1 champ Mako3 and 1 or 2 champ Roc3. That way I have one for straight to understable, one for straight to stable and one for overstable shots. Sometimes I bring along a beat to crap dx Roc which is a great disc that has saved me countless times but usually I like to carry as few discs as possible. I also find that my game suffers if I have too many different ones to choose from

I carry either 3 or 4 mids - Understable, a Stable straight (maybe a slightly more stable one ie carrying multiples of a stable mid) and an OS mid

Currently doing: M4, Alias, Wasp - but in the summer when I can really take advantage of everything I'll carry another Alias and a Buzzz OS or toss in a Buzzz in there

so Buzzz OS, Buzzz, Alias, M4 - or whatever, but 3-4 is all you'd ever need for mids.

Last edited:
There are usually 2 types of players:

1) players who only carry a couple of mids. They usually prefer the throw putters harder or power down fairways.

2) players who carry 4-5 mids. They have all the midrange shots covered.

I am on the side of player 2. I like throwing mids a lot. I carry two midrange molds as I also prefer mold minimalism and cycling. I love the MD3 so I carry four. I also carry one Gator for wind or get out of trouble shots.

Latest posts