• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] How much money did you spend to DG this year?

My dad asked me the other day if it was expensive to play disc golf.

I told him no, of course not. The courses are in parks and are free and you only need 2 or 3 discs to play.

Then why do you have so many discs, he asked.

I replied, "I'm still looking for the right 2 or 3 discs." :D

I told him no, of course not. The courses are in parks and are free and you only need 2 or 3 discs to play.

^^^I am going to use that one.^^^

^^^I am going to use that one.^^^

Yep, that's a gem.

I probably spent at least $750 but maybe closer to $1000 not counting gas and toll roads, bottled water and eating out after the round. It should be lower in 2014 as I won't buy a basket and I don't think I'll be buying as many discs as 2013 (don't hold me to that last one).

Last edited:

So funny, yet so true. You never know about a certain disc until you throw it. I call it "research."

Roughly:
150 on tournies
150 on discs
120 on a bag
100 on tags/league
????? On travel and food

2012 5,000
2013 5,000

2014 should see a decrease...I hope.

I bought roughly 300 disc this year, old stuff mostly, I sold a little over 800 disc. Traded for about 200. I am most proud of my winning 33 dollars from glow doubles. 1st place once, 2nd once and 3rd once. When I subtract entry fee's I cleared 4 buck's. If I factor in the beer, I am in the hole about 50 or so. Gas, food, lost or broken plastic, another hundred or so. Presents for my wife since I was gone, couple hundred. Glow is costing me a fortune.

I only bought one disc in 2013 and it was DX, so under $10 for equipment. Not going to count travel expenses because if it wasn't disc golf, it'd be something else. My only real disc golf expense was tournament fees. Around $250 or so.

Regardless of how much you spent/over-spent on DG, it is great to see so many people getting outside and getting exercise, having fun, building skills, etc.

So much better than staying inside all the time glued to the video games, TV, computer..........

I think I've managed to resist buying stuff pretty well as I've "lost" only about 150€ to disc golf stuff. Not counting gas or anything else. Disc golf is definitely very cheap IF you want. Just heard a motocrosser listing all stuff they/at least He had to pay for - neck supporter 300€, helmet 300€, both leg protectors 800€.. + upper body protection, pants, gloves, knee supporter.. bike 8000€ + repairing/new parts and gas. Oh and if you compete you have to get your bike to the competition by somehow, car + trailer for example. Dunno if there's also some kind of competition fees. brr.

More than I spent on softball and less than on my cell phone!

About $200 on discs, and another $300 on tourneys and leagues. I won't factor in gas and snacks, travel and food would have been just about the same for whatever pursuit I spent my time on.

This was easily my cheapest year for disc golf since I started playing. I think 1 tournament entry, and a couple of discs (judges) was all I actually purchased. I sold more plastic from my reserves than I paid for plastic + entries this year, I'd be willing to bet. Also won a moderate haul in the single tournament I played. I played league maybe 3-4 times this entire year, well off the pace of playing at least once a week in summer league from previous years.

Have not thought much about it and glad I have not.
Just added some things up and it came to around $700+.

First year playing, I spent way too much.
Starter set, nutsac, way too many discs that I cannot throw, way too many putters, Voodoo Mojo and a Mach III (used).

This year? Hmmm.... 16 dollars plus... 16.99... So. $32.99

You guys who posted today and yesterday sure can spend alot fast :p

This year? Hmmm.... 16 dollars plus... 16.99... So. $32.99

You guys who posted today and yesterday sure can spend alot fast :p

Nice. I'm currently at $0.00. I'll throw some gas in the tank on Saturday, though. And a trip to a PIAS, where I'll undoubtedly drop another $20 (or more). Maybe I'll start a spreadsheet to see just how much I do spend this year.