• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to spend $20?

So, I've got a $20 gift card for discgolfstation, and I'm kind of wondering what to do with it? I dunno if I should just get something really expensive (the sort of thing I'd never actually "buy"), or try to get 2 discs out of it? Plus, with one exception, I've only ever owned Innova, and that website doesn't sell them! (If they did, my decision would be way easier)

I've been playing almost year, but I, in general, suck pretty bad. I have more control when throwing sidearm than backhand, but either way, I don't have great distance. Also, as you can tell, I don't own many discs, mainly because I'm a beginner. I bought that beginner innova set to begin with, and the rest are discs I bought at Play it again sports, though I did buy most of them brand new.

I currently own:
Discraft Pro D Buzzz 177g
Innova DX Archangel 150g
Innova DX Aviar 150g
Innova DX Beast 171g
Innova DX Birdie 172g
Innova DX Dragon 150g
Innova DX Leopard 150g
Innova DX Shark 150g
Innova DX Wraith

Any suggestions?

thought I should mention, my Archangel is my "go to" disc for most drives, but my Beast is used when I want a bit more distance. I almost never use the dragon, and only own it because of a course I play at with a large water hazard. I've never been able to feel like I can control the wraith.

You have mostly understable stuff. I would buy a stable dist driver... teebird, starfire, firebird, monster, etc. Teebird would probably be my choice since you're still fairly new and it's a good, accurate disc (i still use it more than any other driver in my bags).

Drivers get beat up and DX doesn't last long, so maybe go with a nice champ or star teebird? You might be able to afford a champ or x-out champ teebird and also a DX disc of your choice (Roc 175-180 would be good) if prices are near what I usually pay; i dunno that specific site's prices since i never buy there.

Last edited:
You've got enough drivers, that 150 Aviar has got to go. Buy a new putter or two (in the upper 160s at least, if not heavier). Try some Gateway putters (Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Warlock) if they got them.

I checked out the web site... get a Vibram Ridge putter. You need a putter... IMO, there isn't a better one. ---- or you could go for a couple of S series Gateway putters, like the Wizard or Voodoo.

If you must get a driver, get the Discraft Elite Z Glo Stalker.

I second the motion try a putter or two Gateway, Vibram or what ever

CHEERS - Koffee

I suggest getting a Gateway WizardSSS and getting rid of that 150Aviar.

Also: Seeing that you are here in the QC, you mentioned a certain course with a large water hazard here in Charlotte. Which course/hole would you be referring to? Hornets Nest #2 (Web layout?) Bailey hole #7? If so you shouldnt be throwing your disc anywhere near the H2O on these holes.

You've got enough drivers, that 150 Aviar has got to go. Buy a new putter or two (in the upper 160s at least, if not heavier). Try some Gateway putters (Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Warlock) if they got them.

Agree kind of here. Don't give up on the Aviar as it is a great disc, but the 150g is kind of light to be of great use. Get a real putter instead of the Birdie, like a Voodoo, and use that to putt and throw teeshots up to 250 feet or so.

If it does not expire, just keep it until you need something. Then you will know what you want. Or you could look at the link in my sig and trade the card to me for some the plastic I have for trade.

don't spend it until you have to.

but if you want to spend it now and you know that your DX Archangel will soon be beat up, get a Champ Archangel.

or

if you play around water a lot, the golden retriever is a good idea. i mention this because you asked about something you may never get unless you have a gift card. this is one of those items!

or

Z buzzz... this is the disc you will use until you retire from disc golf. might as well get it now :)

i wouldn't pay money for a putter. just trade the discs you don't use for a DX Aviar and you're set for a long time.

don't spend it until you have to.

but if you want to spend it now and you know that your DX Archangel will soon be beat up, get a Champ Archangel.

or

if you play around water a lot, the golden retriever is a good idea. i mention this because you asked about something you may never get unless you have a gift card. this is one of those items!

or

Z buzzz... this is the disc you will use until you retire from disc golf. might as well get it now :)

i wouldn't pay money for a putter. just trade the discs you don't use for a DX Aviar and you're set for a long time.

I think Champ Archangles are specialty made. He also said they dont have innova. I would say try some of those putters our or get a nice Buzzz. I like the esp or Cryztal buzzz myself, but pick whatever you want. The golden retriever may be another great idea too. Depending on if you plan on playing in night a glo disc may be nice.

In case some of you suggesting Innova discs missed it...

Plus, with one exception, I've only ever owned Innova, and that website doesn't sell them! (If they did, my decision would be way easier)

http://www.discgolfstation.com/ <-- No Innova available.

Don't give up on the Aviar as it is a great disc, but the 150g is kind of light to be of great use.

Considering there's also a 150 Leopard and 150 Shark in there, I'm assuming he bought one of those Innova starter sets.

My choice would be one of these...

http://www.discgolfstation.com/Discraft-Elite-Z-Buzzz-Mid-Range-Disc_p_14.html
http://www.discgolfstation.com/Discraft-ESP-Cyclone-Driver_p_40.html

The cyclone is also pretty money, but I am not quest sold on my ESP one as opposed to a pro d one.