• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to work on Three Step

Kattrax

I most always play with just a 1 step throw of the Tee or a stand still shot depending on the Hole. I want to start working on the three step. What is the best way to do that and is it better to start doing it with putters, Mids or fairway drivers.

Follow up: have we determined that the X step is better than the slide or hop? I hop.

Gone and do the 2 step then cowboy boogie grab your sweetheart and spin out with em do the hoedown and git into it, take it to the left now and dip with it, gone throw down, take a sip with it, now lean back, put your hips in it.

Gone and do the 2 step then cowboy boogie grab your sweetheart and spin out with em do the hoedown and git into it, take it to the left now and dip with it, gone throw down, take a sip with it, now lean back, put your hips in it.

I could never do the one leg spin and either have control of the disc or control of my body, it is one or the other.

I could never do the one leg spin and either have control of the disc or control of my body, it is one or the other.
Only a Sith talks in absolutes. I think we need the Casey 1988 Form Analysis Thread.

Do they really need three keyboards in a band?

On topic: I would start with learning the basic foot position of the x-step and focus on the feet and move up the body. Try to take videos of yourself to see if you're doing it "right". I thought I was doing it "right" for too long before figuring out how I wasn't after I took a video of myself.

Footwork is still something that I have to focus on. I have good days when it feels natural and everything just clicks and then I have days where I just can't seem to find my timing to put it all together.

Like anything else, repetition is key. Do it, do it again, and keep doing it until until it just becomes natural. Focus on form and timing and go slow and don't worry about distance. Once it feels natural you'll be able to speed things up.

Good luck.

Let us know if you have any epiphanies along the way.

Follow up: have we determined that the X step is better than the slide or hop? I hop.

Can we seriously address this point? Is there any reason to "reform" my hop step into an x step? Or is it all the same provided you wind up bracing and weight shifting correctly?

Can we seriously address this point? Is there any reason to "reform" my hop step into an x step? Or is it all the same provided you wind up bracing and weight shifting correctly?

While I still have enough to learn about good form, I can't exactly picture what a "hop step" is. Since basically every great player uses the basic x-step as their footwork for driving, I am going to say it's the best overall.

The hop is just an amped up x-step and superior for efficient power generation. If you struggle with a walking x-step, there is likely something amiss.

The hop is just an amped up x-step and superior for efficient power generation. If you struggle with a walking x-step, there is likely something amiss.

No for me if I am going faster at top speed for me to generate a tad more power, I need to add the micro hop to not trip. I see some pro players doing this mini almost forward hop if using max speed to generate a bit more power. What I can't do is the Nathon Doss popularized single leg part to the X step throw. I have tried and failed or felt like I would injure myself for doing that single leg throw. I also do not do the arm follow though as I need to have arm pointed in the direction the disc needs to go or I have a off timing issue as I do not generate enough power to rip discs from my hand and it hurts shoulder to do the ripping style.

What I am calling a hop step is on one foot so no x-step at all. A quick glance at youtube and the closest drive to my own is Mike Moser, although mine looks way more athletic and is apparently way less effective lol.

BTW, I have never heard of Moser before, and he has been rated 1000+ for 21 consecutive years. :eek:

Moser is one of the shorter throwing pros, but his putting is top notch.

Ulibarri changed to x-step/hop, IIRC he said he felt it was necessary for him to get more distance.

Ulibarri changed to x-step/hop, IIRC he said he felt it was necessary for him to get more distance]

Thank you for these vids, I thought that Uli did the run up I do but when I went to YouTube it was all x steps, and I thought I had gone crazy :)

Ok so break it down for me, is there something innately superior to the x step that would make me want to switch?

Latest posts