• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How would you play this hole?

This is hole 6 at my home course in American Fork, UT. What line and type of shot would you use on this hole? Just thought it would be fun to get some different perspectives/ideas.

Hole6Teepad.jpg

This is the view from the teepad.

Hole6Halfway.jpg

Halfway up.

Hole6.jpg

There she is!

IMG00365-20110123-1205.jpg

A little better view.

I still have yet to make it all the way up from the tee. Couple doinks off the wall though. :)

Depending on the distance/ceiling I would throw my really flippy Comet or my really flippy Assassin on a hyzerflip line. There was a similar hole (more elevation, more trees in the way) that I played in Missouri and I had to throw my Assassin to get all the way up there even though it was only about 230ft.

Well, the simple answer is buzzz, straight, flat, at about 3 feet above wall height.

Execution is another thing :) I would probably end up hitting the wall, approaching and then putting for 3.

Substituting something with way more glide while fading as little or less uphill reduces the power requirement immensely thus possibly increasing your accuracy and repeatability. Buzzz would be good, possible tweener discs between mids and fairway drivers could work too. Kite, Storm and Squall come to mind as possibilities. Kite and Storm from experience Squall from hearsay.

First thought is a straight flying putter... probably a Wizard. If that didn't make it far enough I'd probably try an Opto River.

But I'd guess a Wizard would make it within putting range off the tee sans any trees.

I just got a Wizard a week or two ago. 175g soft. I LOVE it. Haven't played my home course with it yet though. I'll have to try that. The Wiz is quickly becoming my favorite disc.

I know I thought it was hokie to play a course with only my putter, but I've done it a few times with my friends and it really taught me a thing or two about the flight profile of my putters and just how surprisingly far they can fly. 200-250 straight laser beam shots (what I used to use an understable mid for) are great with a Wizard. I actually line drived a 120-ish foot putt that was supposed to be an approach with my Wizard yesterday morning with my Wizard for an eagle.

My only concern is getting it over that wall... you might need more glide, so my second recommendation was the River.

But yeah, give your Wizard a try.

Easy answer: flip a Mako, beat up Buzzz, or similar up from hyzer to flat and straight through that gap to the basket. So long as you hit the gap and get through, any errors on your throw will still leave you with a chance at deuce.

The way you've photographed the hole, there looks to be only one line. Straight at the 6 with little/no fade at the end. My first thought is also Buzzz. Maybe a putter since the basket looks to be a good 60' beyond the wall. Depends on how up hill it is. There is plenty of height to work with.

It's more uphill than it looks. I thought I had read on here somewhere that FH shots are better for uphill. Don't really understand the mechanics of that but was curious to see if anyone would throw that way. There are guys who play there a lot who can throw overhand off the tee and get this sweet fade to park it under the basket. It looks really cool but seems like it would be a tough shot. Definitely out of the question for me.

masterbeato said:
i would play a flat hyzer, nose up at the end with a wasp.

Nose up at the end? Can you explain that a little bit? When I actually get my disc up there it feels like I'm throwing nose down and drilling the wall @ the 6 or lower. When I concentrate on getting over the wall I end up throwing nose up off the tee and don't even come close. Would it make sense that I'm throwing the wrong type of disc for this shot? (Usually my DX Spider, next try will be a soft Wizard) If I throw my Spider at all nose up it just slows down SO fast and I don't have the power to get anywhere near it.

i will throw it nose down until it reaches the wall and then have it slow down nose up as it fades over the wall, but you have to throw it high enough so it doesnt fade into the wall but you gotta throw it nose down until it reaches a certain point around the wall. or a comet 50 degrees hyzer and have it fade the whole way while standing up slowly around the corner so it doesnt cut too much left.

i manipulate nose angle a lot when i throw. advanced form of shot shaping. its how you shape the flight that matters more than the disc selection.

Latest posts