• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

any perfect course would have to be pay to play to keep up with the perks, but then people would knock it down a half disc for needing to pay.

I've found that the courses with the most trash cans actually have the most trash - not in the cans. Ironic.

Whoa! (said in lame Keanu Reeves fashion)

Now that you mention it...

I've never even thought about that before. But now that I consider some of the courses I play, that statement holds true.

I would never play a perfect course. I'd be so afraid I was going to ruin it that I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself.

Rubber pads are my favorite. Low impact, good traction in all conditions. The worst is super grippy concrete (see fort morgan optimist course). I can barely walk from the tension on my knees trying to pivot on something that my shoe is glued to.
I wouldn't rate conifer a 5 (nothing in colorado is). But the tee pads are one of the very few things the course is lacking. And for overall feel, I almost prefer the natural pads when I am playing in the mountains. For serious competition, I would probably prefer rubber/concrete.

I think the beauty of the review process itself is to see what each of us finds unique about a course, and how we rate it accordingly, I think it is fundamentally supposed to be volatile and not standardized. ...and thats all I have to say about this

This is my first post on DGCR. I've been staying under the radar, but this thread has made me break radio silence, and I figured it was time I addressed all the hype flying around about Flyboy Aviation anyhow. First of all, I'd like to thank you guys for your interest in Flyboy. The course's ascent to the top of the ratings has surprised me as much as everyone else, especially considering it started with a single practice putting basket in my yard and grew from there.

I'm not a course designer, and never set out in the beginning to build a championship calibre disc golf course, it really just evolved into one. I haven't done it alone. I've been assisted by most everyone who's played here including some of the big names in the game, like Tom Monroe, the Jenkins', Climo and Feldberg, Nate Doss, Phil Arthur, Camron Todd, and especially Chuck Kennedy who sat down with me after the round and critiqued every single hole on the course.....invaluable information for me! Not to throw names around, but all these folks, along with so many every-day golfers here deserve credit. They've critiqued the course, at my request, to the "nth degree," and helped me "tweak" it into the final (I hope) 27-hole par101 layout it is now. By the way, the ONLY way this 4-year evolution could have taken place is with MOVABLE tee pads and MOVABLE baskets. Climo putted out on #24, and promptly picked up the basket and moved it 40 feet to the left, where it still sits......great improvement. Phil Arthur teed off on #4 and promptly dragged the tee pad 15' over.......whole new feel to the hole.....great improvement. I'm in the process of replacing all the original DB-5s with Mach 5s (nine so far), and the rubber tee pads (found 'em in the salvage yard).....well, I've grown to love them, and I get almost no tee pad complaints (except from Avery who's so massive the whole pad sometimes moves when he plants.) "Horrible" tee pad installation........judging from one picture? Ok, you're right, could be better, but until recently I still considered the tee pads temporary and tweakable. The plan is to ultimately upgrade them (and I can promise it won't be to concrete), and do a final permanent installation. Oh, and don't forget the crappy laminated tee signs (see picture in first post). When the course tweaking finally does stop, I'll spring for the nice metal permanent tee signs too. Last weekend I hosted the S.E. Collegiate Open at Flyboy with 18 college teams in the field and I'm pretty sure rubber tee pad installation was not an issue for these guys. When you play here, you'll realize how secondary the tee pads, tee signs, and even the baskets are to the full experience of the course itself.

Sorry, got long winded......continued in next post.

"The lack of ammenities" at Flyboy.....well, since you brought it up: You're right, there's no bench at the tee pad (#16) in the picture you selected to start this thread. There's not one at #18 either......or brooms. The other 25 holes on the course, however, do have beautiful handmade Willow branch benches (made for my wedding, repurposed to disc golf) and brooms, along with a few trash cans here and there. #16 tees off a grass aircraft taxiway, and #18 (the longest known hole in disc golf) tees off the grass runway.......airplanes win over disc golf benches out here.

Flyboy is ALL ABOUT the ammenities, actually. Pro-shop, cafe (ok, my Mom takes orders and will fix you lunch), clubhouse with Bed & Breakfast (go to airbnb.com, search Whitesburg, GA to see the rooms) with three bathrooms and fireplace available to the golfers, giant main room (the aircraft hangar) with 24' movie screen for player's briefings via powerpoint and laser pointer, comfy couches to relax in, ping pong, billards table, camping on site with two bathroom/shower facilities, small cabin with triple bunk, and 1961 model Airstream Bambi camper available to campers, 9-hole novice/speed/glow/superclass golf course, golf cart (for driving back out to #13 after the round to shag that 2nd Destroyer you threw and forgot about), disc grabbers around the lakes, popcorn popper........ok, I made my point. There are lots of excellent, beautifully designed disc golf courses around the country, with a parking lot and maybe a restroom for ammenities, if you're lucky . I was determined that would not be the case at Flyboy...........it's got ammenities.

All those 5-disc reviews: Flyboy Aviation Disc Golf is not perfect. Never will be. It WILL continue to improve, as long as I'm running it. DGCR reviewers come in all shapes and sizes, from the puristists, to the more emotional, subjective, objective, to the the completely uninformed, but I've received some valuable constructive critisism through the reviews, authored by novices and touring pros alike, which have greatly helped me improve the disc golf experience here. The review process isn't perfect, and we can discuss the ins and outs of it till the cows come home (and you have). Right or wrong, in the end, if the EXPERIENCE a golfer has at a particular course pegs his Fun Meter like no other course does, for WHATEVER reasons, he'll probably rate it a 5. Cool rock formations at Flip, goofy dogs at Flyboy, it's all about the fun and the experience in the end that will influence these ratings. Go ahead and create a different rating system if you want to find the course with the most perfect layout, tee pads, sineage, etc., but it is the fun experience that brings the golfers back again and again, and brings new golfers into the fold.

Finally, speculating in these forums about a course you've never experienced, is like looking at the world through a soda straw. I invite you folks to come visit Flyboy Aviation, "get the Tee shirt" (Flyboy hat, golf towel, visor, CFR disc would be nice too, I gotta buy deisel fuel). Then, jump on the forums and have at it.

Happy discing,

Kelly Leggette

Kelly
you just made my day. So much goes into designing and building a course that few realize. I wish I could come to Georgia and see this course myself but I can't. I would not worry about 1 persons criteria. Sounds like a great course in the southland. Tweaking and refining requires an open mind. Something many reviewers don't have.

Pro shop? Who cares?! Bonus if the course has it, but I don't care if it doesn't. Picnic tables? Playground for kids? On-site five-star restaurant with a celebrity chef and reasonable prices? None of that impacts my round of disc golf. Practice basket? Yes, if I'm giving a 5 the course had better have one. THAT impacts my round. Trash cans? I'm a big boy, and I know how to pack my trash out myself. I pity anyone who can't, but a lack of trash cans doesn't impede me from enjoying a round or two. Teepads that are in poor condition do, but I don't require concrete pads, so I can't rationalize deducting anything from my rating because a course has rubber or natural pads.

Same here. For me, it's all about the golf. As far as amenities go, one porta potty and we're good.

Technically, a course rated here at DGCR can have flaws and still be a five star. Since rating precision at DGCR is by half star, if you rate a course 4.75 or higher, you'd have to round up to five stars when you post the review. So take off up to 0.25 for not having enough rainbows and unicorns on the course, and it can still be a five star.

You guys get too hung up on 5 stars...oh its perfect you can't have it...fine then the scale is six stars and the 6th is silent.

Give me a break, it's just like military and corporate performance reviews...oh we cant give 5s or 1s so everyone is a 3...that's legit.

If this course is not 5 stars then no course is. I am not saying it is perfect, I am not even saying it is the best course in the world, but it is up there and it is the best by far that I have ever played.

And note this comes from an 830 rated player who caddied for a 744 rated player who LOVED the course and its 14000' of ridiculous challenge. We are not Climos or Averys and we shoot 30 over and you couldn't wipe the smile off our faces. The course is tough, the course is rough, the course DEMANDS precision and will beat you with a shillelagh until there is barely energy left in your body to whimper. Yet you will leave with a satisfaction you do not get after playing other courses.

Half the stuff Kelly mentioned wasn't even live when we were there and it was still a 5.

I would totally try to work out a trip if it was a days drive away.

BTW all the big rushes of reviews came after tournaments.

ADGO fall event
Hotlanta
SECO

There are brooms on just about every hole so the pads can be kept clean. But I rather go to a really BADASS course with challenging shots, awesome layouts, and beautiful scenery than to go to some so so course that has SUPER sweet cement pads with wood surrounding them!! I'm just saying some people probably base there review on the experience they had and the quality of the holes, not the appeal of the teepad. And yes there are trashcans, wouldn't make a good picture putting trashcans in all of them...

I've yet to finish my review of Flyboy Aviation but yeah, I think it's a 5.
I too was concerned about all the "1 (or few) played, 1 reviewed, 5 discs" ratings but like all courses I needed to play it for myself.
The 5 is justified.

Moooooooooo!

^ Dig what he said. (billnchristy)

Competition breeds performance but we are mere mortals...

Coming up with a standard to "judge" the course is not a bad idea. The last thing you want to hear about a course is crickets chirping. The fact is, a lot of people like it. Personally, I hope a lot of people hate the course I like, I can't stand crowds. I think one of the cool things about the course I mention is that in about a year of almost every Sunday a.m. play, I've never waited on a group and in that year, I've only seen about 4 or 5 other groups play. Our course is almost always ours, alone.

Dig that.

Gotta think of this too...if 30 people sign up so they can review flyboy and find the process fun maybe they will start reviewing other courses, using the other features etc...

I agree that its a bad course to dip your toe in the review waters for but if it is that good that it motivates people to DGCR then that can't all be bad right?

Especially if, as Kelly noted, the mere fun factor brings new golfers into the fold.

Imagine that course being your first played...

Especially if, as Kelly noted, the mere fun factor brings new golfers into the fold.

Imagine that course being your first played...

I dunno if that would be good or not...like going to the moon on your first flight or driving a ferrarri as your first car...