• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine

LOLOLOLOL.

Love the people here justifying their money spent.

Not justifying my money spent just putting it out there that I got screwed so hopefully no one else makes the same mistake and loses money as well. Hopefully Hucker Mag has seen everyone complaining and will man up and give us some info on where they are. Like I said though I got my shirt which I'm obviously one of the lucky few so I guess my $15 wasn't a complete waste. Just very unfortunate that alot of DG startup companies have these same problems all the time. Too much hype and not enough help.

I still have my shirt. Not sure where I put my poster.

I sold my shirt on FB auction for $10 and I got Avery to sign my poster at The Memorial (where Huckers was at the fly mart with more free posters and schwag for sale) and sold it also for $10... so I've recouped my money.

Guy at the fly mart said we were 3 weeks away from the magazine for what that's worth... we'll see.

I sold my shirt on FB auction for $10 and I got Avery to sign my poster at The Memorial (where Huckers was at the fly mart with more free posters and schwag for sale) and sold it also for $10... so I've recouped my money.

Guy at the fly mart said we were 3 weeks away from the magazine for what that's worth... we'll see.

Lol yet they post on their FB page in reply to someone asking when they should expect their mag that they should be sending them out by the end of the week. They said that on Feb 20th. So what blows my mind is how they say that publicly and then the next week at the Memorial they are telling everyone your 3 weeks out from sending anything out. Then keep anyone else, (which is most of us) who didn't go to the Memorial, in the dark and repeatedly ignore emails and posts on your FB site. Not good business at all. Hope they realize that this will not blow over well with 90% of us.

Since I'm too lazy to go through all of these pages, who can briefly explain what happened here? I almost subscribed to this and it sounds like some kind of scam?

Since I'm too lazy to go through all of these pages, who can briefly explain what happened here? I almost subscribed to this and it sounds like some kind of scam?

They said from the beginning that they would send out the first issue at the end of February. Its now almost mid-March and no one has received a issue. It also seems a good majority of people who ordered a shirt or hoodie or whatever else have no received that either. Hucker mag posted alot of info and updates on their FB page up til the very last week of February. Ironic huh? Now they fail to respond to anyone that send them email or a response on their page.

I think they found out a little too late that print journalism - at least as a start-up today - is dead.

I see a lot of you guys saying this but please tell me what justify this statement? What proof or example do you have that print journalism is a dead industry? I'm pretty damn sure that Rolling Stone, ESPN mag, US Weekly, etc. etc. etc. have been doing well for years and will continue to do so. Just because we all have computer and the internet doesn't mean everyone wants to sit and read a .PDF file of a magazine through your email. I could be wrong but I really don't think print journalism is falling by the wayside like most of you seem to think. If this was true then why do they still print newspapers if everyone just reads the news on the internet now?

They didn't hack into your checking account and steal your money. You chose to send them money because they said you'd get something for it. That is the point he is making, not that they're fine to just take the money and run. He said they were wrong, he's just choosing different words. Why is this even an argument?

For that matter, why do people continue to send money to any old guy when he promises something disc golf related?

I am not sure if you can follow what he said, but he said that I was a "sucker" and when you make the victim out to be a "sucker" what does that say. You don't call the victim a sucker, that labels the victim. You get it? Sucker implies that he had it coming and that implies it is "ok" since he had it coming...cause he is a sucker.

The arguement is you don't call the victim a sucker. A victim is someone that was wronged, no attention should go to me for trying to help out what appeared to be a legitimate business and endeavor.

Saying it diferently by attacking the victim by calling them "suckers"...really.

Overall, more negative attention should be brought to the perpetrator not the victims...that is my point. How do you undermine the victims?...you all of them "suckers". Undermine the victim.

*purely speculation* I know nothing of the reality.

A couple guys have a grand idea of creating a disc golf magazine. Together they realize they have the means - access to and knowledge of: Software, printing sources, shipping, etc. They dive in head first with grand intentions of providing the best product ever. Upon receiving funding and actually tackling the project at hand, they quickly realize that they are not quite prepared to handle their vision - hiccups and problem solving all along the way. They're a bit embarrassed by their mistake, as they frantically scramble to get the product out, trying to appease everyone (investors and onlookers).

This thread explodes, quickly word gets around to these dudes. They say "Oh ****, I didn't realize such a level of distress had come from this, we're doing the best we can with the resources we have." They're getting excited, things are finally reaching a point that they will have a product soon. Their printer says that it will go to print in about 8 days, they post on facebook "It will be done in a week." Then of course they have a problem with such and such function inhibiting the compatibility...

Story goes on, they probably chime in on this thread and facebook and admit their mistake. Some investors are furious "Give me my money back!!" most investors understand that these things take time. The dudes feel the pressure. They rush the process and their first print is only a portion of their vision of what it could be, or will be.

Five years from now I'll have an issue of Hucker on my coffee table with a headline reading "Nike tour finals - Who will have the best chance at the Million dollar top prize? July 18, 2019 7:00 PM ESPN.

I see a lot of you guys saying this but please tell me what justify this statement? What proof or example do you have that print journalism is a dead industry? I'm pretty damn sure that Rolling Stone, ESPN mag, US Weekly, etc. etc. etc. have been doing well for years and will continue to do so. Just because we all have computer and the internet doesn't mean everyone wants to sit and read a .PDF file of a magazine through your email. I could be wrong but I really don't think print journalism is falling by the wayside like most of you seem to think. If this was true then why do they still print newspapers if everyone just reads the news on the internet now?
I work in the media industry (newspapers, broadcast and internet mostly).

Print is still paying the bills for most companies but is slowly being eclipsed by digital. Mostly because all of the old advertising folks are finally dying out and being replaced with young people that understand digital and how to sell it.

In another generation, I think 'printed media' will become very much a niche much like vinyl records. And thats not a bad thing. Hopefully people will treat it like the 'high class' medium it can truly be.

Print is a VERY expensive industry that doesn't always make sense on the bottom line. But its also a beautiful art form that I don't think can ever truly 'die.'

Last edited:
But its also a beautiful artform that I'd hate to see truly 'die.'

^this. I personally like print media over digital form just because I like to either have it later on as a reference or just a keep sake for whatever reason. I see where your coming from though and like I said I am not "in the know" about that industry so therefore I have no clue about print vs. digital. Thanks for shedding some light on that though :)

I think they found out a little too late that print journalism - at least as a start-up today - is dead.

Note the bolded parts. Rolling Stone has been around forever. ESPN had the name recognition from the network. Neither of those are start-ups.

Disc golf has trouble being recognized as a legit sport in the mainstream, so I think the notion of a print magazine related to it was short-sighted at best. Yes, it would appeal to the segment of DGers that want a printed mag, but what percent of the population is that? And who is going to fund it once more production is needed? Certainly not advertisers.

Personally, I think these guys could have already had a quality issue or two out by now if they went digital subscription. Then the firestorm that is this thread probably wouldn't even exist.

I called out the "perpetrators" four months ago. I didn't give them any money as a result. Now I'm amusing myself on a crappy snowy afternoon by tweaking the suckers who did. Thanks for playing along. :)

I really don't suppor the perptrators :clap: I called it out awhile ago. thanks for playing along, I have no simpathy cause I was right and who didn't follow me are "sukers".

I was right...stroke my ego, it feeeels reeeaaal goooood :thmbup: You are now offically suckers. We really don't need to give attention to an Avery Jenkins icon he has no respect in this industry (facecious if you havn't caught on). I am riding pretty high on being "right". Yea slick...me right you wrong = )

You need to get over yourself. This is about what came from what seriously appeared to be a legitimate endeavor. If you don't understand that, you definitely have more ego that what you are worth. On top of that, taking thousands of dollars from your fellow disc golfers and you stand on the side and quietly clap because "you saw it a mile ago" and "I warned you so" and didn't partake and you are all "suckers" now. I warned the flock...now the flock can suck it. I quitely support the "flock" but not really since I warned them about the "wolf".

Not everyone will have shared your view on how legitimate it appeared to be. In fact some people did recieve their stuff. Hmmm...maybe I will get my order someday and you will be the fool. You don't know the future and that is a fact.

*purely speculation* I know nothing of the reality.

A couple guys have a grand idea of creating a disc golf magazine. Together they realize they have the means - access to and knowledge of: Software, printing sources, shipping, etc. They dive in head first with grand intentions of providing the best product ever. Upon receiving funding and actually tackling the project at hand, they quickly realize that they are not quite prepared to handle their vision - hiccups and problem solving all along the way. They're a bit embarrassed by their mistake, as they frantically scramble to get the product out, trying to appease everyone (investors and onlookers).

This thread explodes, quickly word gets around to these dudes. They say "Oh ****, I didn't realize such a level of distress had come from this, we're doing the best we can with the resources we have." They're getting excited, things are finally reaching a point that they will have a product soon. Their printer says that it will go to print in about 8 days, they post on facebook "It will be done in a week." Then of course they have a problem with such and such function inhibiting the compatibility...

Story goes on, they probably chime in on this thread and facebook and admit their mistake. Some investors are furious "Give me my money back!!" most investors understand that these things take time. The dudes feel the pressure. They rush the process and their first print is only a portion of their vision of what it could be, or will be.

Five years from now I'll have an issue of Hucker on my coffee table with a headline reading "Nike tour finals - Who will have the best chance at the Million dollar top prize? July 18, 2019 7:00 PM ESPN.

I really hope so also, I really hope I do get my order.

I personally like print media over digital form just because I like to either have it later on as a reference or just a keep sake for whatever reason.
My dad says the same thing. Plus the ability to fold, write on the page, etc.

There is definitely a hazy dividing line that sits somewhere around 'born in 1970' when it comes to print vs. digital as a preferred medium.