• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hurt back, what to throw?

jenb

* Ace Member *
I hurt my back (again) a couple of days ago at Fly Ink, and the Doctor who does my spinal injections says I have to get back surgery now. Won't know for sure which procedure until after the MRI. Probably try a decompression first, and if that works, I'll be out of commission for a few days at most.

Meanwhile I have to perform at Texas Teams this weekend, and I can hardly walk, much less throw hard. I'm thinking I might just throw a Mako if the wind allows. Is there another disc that's even more easy button and more distance on a standstill control drive?

Genius me threw my DX Stingray in the locked pool area before the tournament and I had to settle for a DX Ontario Roc as a replacement. With a little tuning to make it beat, I was surprised at the easy distance. I don't think it is as straight as the Mako, but I was impressed with the distance. I'm hurting too much right now to go comparison throw them. Does an Ontario Roc typically yield more distance than a Mako?

That sucks! Get a Comet.

edit: Yes an Ontario will glide better and is closest to a Comet.

Last edited:
I've you've got a decent sidearm, go with that... Less torque on the back. An Ontario Roc would do nicely. The others I can imagine would be a Stingray or Skeeter.

DONT!! Sorry to say, but listen to your DR!! I didnt listen and ended up dis-locating my L2-L5, almost ended up perminently in a wheel chair. I now have a perminent limp, and other personal physical issues. Last winter I bent over and kinda slipped a disc, and didnt listen to DR orders. 1 month later I dis-located my back and pinched the nerves to my lower body, BADLY. I will never have some of the control and distance ever again. IF I pull wrong 1 more time, its the wheel chair for ever. DONT DO IT! Take the time off, do physical therapy, whatever it takes....

Hate to say it, but you shouldn't play. Do to trying to get back to work before my back healed (6 to 8 weeks!). I'm now retired. Heck the only real plus about my injury, is that I picked up disc golf! Reason for that, is because I could no longer play ball gof due to the injury.
I would also get several opinions about surgery. Most docs don't even consider it unless you have some serious issues (drop foot and the like). Even then, it's about a 50/50 chance all goes well :(

Well good luck and really do your homework on this, because....Do you know what they call the person who finished last in med school?....................DOCTOR!

This is one of those times where I would have to tell someone to lock my DG bag up or I would try and go play. Best advice is to listen to the Doc and don't play. Just tell your partner for the event the circumstances and even offer to help find a replacement partner.

i wouldnt play... i didnt commit to my team this year primarily because of my back issues. your situation obviously sounds more severe than mine so i would think long and hard about your choice.

side arm does help with not putting as much strain on the back and ive picked up more FH lately because of that.

Actually, my doctor didn't say not to play, and in fact he encourages me to get exercise.

I've been dealing with the bulging disc and pinched nerve issues for years, and it's just that the latest recurrence is only a month after the most recent spinal injections. I think the insurance companies are really dictating treatment options these days. They stopped paying for the chiropractor after a couple of years, so I had to go to a medical doctor who sent me to physical therapy for a while and then they stopped paying for that and so I got spinal injections for a while and now they are refusing to pay for stuff related to that. I think that has a lot to do with doctor's recommendations. It just comes down to what we've tried already and what insurance will pay for next.

Easiest distance is to use a Mamba.... stingray on roids! Stand still with an easy smooth release will give you nice distance! 168G-170G

I use a Fuse and Vision for easy stand still distance.

However, i would NOT PLAY in your current state. Unless you're 17 years old and then you can bounce back from injuries in days instead of weeks/months.

ok then sidearm shots will help alot with the pain. use flippy stuff that you can just let the disc work itself and not have you power it to do what u want.

blizzard plastic
stuff thats very neutral or flippy
sidearm

when my back hurts I only throw eagles for my drives and if it is really bad I stick to an 11x champ eagle L mold that is 150 grams- then it's just rocs and putters but they don't bother my back as much

Careful

From a ski bum who has a bulging disc L5/S1 , I was laid up for a summer and no skiing for the next season . My doctors now say that I have adapted well to my disability . Thanks guys ! My right foot still goes to sleep if I sit too long , but it wakes up . I'm a guy who HATES walking , let alone hiking , but since discovering DG , I dont seem to mind having a good walk .

All I can offer is ;
Be careful , back injuries can come back at any time ! My back hurts when I
see someone lifting improperly !

Please be careful , obviously listen to your Dr. , but especially listen to your body!

Walking may be the best for you , but if it hurts when throwing ......

Pee on your boobs.

^^^ Not sure how this will help.

Anyway, don't play and sit it out for a week or so in a jacuzzi or schvitz. You will have to modify your game which will only cause your game to suffer thus causing frustration due to your physical limitations.

Anyway, don't play and sit it out for a week or so in a jacuzzi or schvitz. You will have to modify your game which will only cause your game to suffer thus causing frustration due to your physical limitations.

But it's Texas Teams. My team is counting on me.

But it's Texas Teams. My team is counting on me.

Your decision, but i hope they are there for you if you are laid up in bed; bringing you dinners, cleaning the house, taking care of pets, etc. The long term consequences seem to be pretty dire. If they are friends, they would certainly understand. Good luck!