• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am interested in developing a course

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I have been wandering around establishing my disc golf territory and at times I have this odd habit of going to parks without a course and plotting one out in my mind......wish I could post some of the course I have dreamed up. Other times I go to a course that really is poorly designed and underplayed and attempt to reconfigure and improve it...I go the extreme of getting my wheeled measurer out and plotting out holes etc...I am a bit of an obsessive nerd and have contacted a few property owners and parks etc but so far no love for me. Seems the places that want a course do not understand that a course can t be built in 2 acres around baseball fields and playgrounds and other bigger expanses just don t want to be bothered. I helped out building a great course but want more freedom to do as I please.....If I am going to do the work I like to have more say in where my labor is going. My question is this.....Would it be better to build a course in a place where there is a deadspot for disc golf and risk it being underplayed and misunderstood or would you rather add a course to a hotbed area where many of the courses often are too crowded. Seems there is a benefit to both and negatives to both. Some say there is a saturation point for disc golf...I don't believe beginner courses have as much value as prime courses because the people who play our sport on a regular basis prefer good courses...why build a course no one plays and then the park board says your an idiot no one plays this game, I think beginners still play tough courses anyway...I am rambling but again.....course in a barren DG region or course in a hotbed territiry?

I have to think building a new course in an area where there is no course now is a greater service to the sport. I also think this would be a greater design challenge. If there is not an active disc golf scene in the area, a new course would need to be beginner friendly because you'll need to attract new players. But since you also want a course experienced players will enjoy (and the noobs can grow into), I think you'll want to design alt tee placements that create a more challenging course.

Win-win this way. It's like building two courses at once!

It depends on proximity. For example there were only 3 courses in San Diego county (about 3 million people) and they were all crowded, all the time. A course opened up 2 years ago that offered a beginners layout with alternate tees for veterans. The place is a huge success. I go there once a week and I see a good mix of vets and rookies. But don't throw another course in Cincinnati for example. It would just get lost in the shuffle. You also don't want to build one in the middle of Montana, who's going to go there. Good luck.

I think you first put a course where you'd like to play it. I figure the parks services can get sticky - so have you thought of contacting churches who have land, or even colleges. Building on private land like that can be quicker, easier, and give you more freedom to design as you please. My brother and I are in the midst of trying to design two courses right now. The college needs a laid out plan, but the church just simply says - great idea - go for it. Now I'm in Houston, so the church base is huge, but thinking in these aspects are important since you build into your base. The red tape of building around college grounds may be the best, because that is prime disc golf clientele - and you can sell that idea to the college as such. This means even a small college off the beaten track. Its better than no courses at all.

I just moved back to my hometown in Nova Scotia after many years abroad. I was sad to see no disc golf courses here.. so I built one. The problem is when you build a disc golf course in a 'Dead zone' you have to convince the people you are not crazy and this game really exists. I have been working with the schools and different community groups and although the response is great our base is small and it is hard to increase it. It all takes time I guess but in the mean time I have a private course that I use daily with my son and dogs..

I agree with TRIFOCAL. If you build it, they will come! It may take time in a lesser populated area, but if the course stays maintained and improved, they will find it!

Field of Dreams. Build the Course and They Will Find It.
I also agree with trifocal.... ( he wins quote of the day ).... there is a course here in the Waco, TX area that is quitely tucked away in an upper/middle class area and the course gets played quite a bit..... it offers some open holes so you can throw a bomb as well as treed tunnel shots so it is fun and semi-challenging for all.... ( Woodway Park )..... anyway you slice it if you build a good enough course a DGer will sniff it out and word gets around quick.... ( mainly because this sight ;) )...... so I hope you build it and if I'm in the area I'll gladly stop by and chunk a round or two on it........:D

If you want to build a course, make sure you are not making mistakes that will turn off players, owners or neighbors. Get an experienced designer(s) to review your design for any issues. Set it up as much as possible with temporary tees and goals to see how it really plays. The Disc Golf Course Designer's Group has a membership which is dedicated to encouraging high quality designs. It was started by Tom Monroe and Chuck Kennedy, and most of the serious and very experienced course designers are members. You sound very serious, so perhaps you should join the group too. check here: http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.org/discgolfwiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
also http://web.mac.com/bigchiz/DGCD/Welcome.html
or here is Chuck's design web page: http://ck34.net/dgbydesign/
I've found that experienced designers are very welcoming and helpful to those who are serious and want to promote really good professional quality disc golf course development! Good luck in your endeavors!