• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can't seem to release a Roc cleanly.

moorent

Eagle Member
I have no problem throwing a teebird 360-400 (this is accurate, from one end of a football field to the other). I can also get my glow z buzzz out nearly that far.

I can get my rocs out to maybe 340 or so but far too often end up with OATing the disc off to the right. I have a pretty damn clean release with all of my other discs.

Could the bead be the problem?

Last edited:
not the bead ....Rocs will hold any release you put them on....this is why they are loved and despised
a tee bird will forgive you a bit more for a oat release
340 with a Roc is still quite a huck

The other discs listed require less height to get distance. The Roc will go that far, but ya got to throw it higher.

FWIW I always had better luck with Buzzzes too. Only problem is I throw them as far as my fairway drivers.

Just clean up your form, as said Rocs are more Oat sensitive. Teebirds aren't as bad.

I have the same problem, although that is because my roc is a stupid cooling error roc + which actually isn't a roc +. I either OATed it, or threw a n00b hyzer thing cuz it slipped out early cuz of that stupid rim.

I have no problem throwing a teebird 360-400 (this is accurate, from one end of a football field to the other). I can also get my glow z buzzz out nearly that far.

I can get my rocs out to maybe 340 or so but far too often end up with OATing the disc off to the right. I have a pretty damn clean release with all of my other discs.

Could the bead be the problem?

for me, i've found that a Roc isnt a disc that likes to be overpowered. It likes a smooth, straight release without the extra wrist torque and extra umph. As much as your TB goes 360-400, i wonder if you wont find that your Roc flies "naturally" in the 290-315' range, and the "extra power" you put into it to get the 340' is the difference maker. I know some of the pro's can and do, but making a 340' shot with a Roc seems overextended. I see a lot of guys using their Teebird or Eagles in this range - cant say i've ever seen someone throw a roc at a 340' hole.

I can throw my Roc in the 325' range in a field, but i find that i can park a construction cone everytime (in a field) at ~290-300, whereas at 325' my accuracy drops.

Last edited:
What grip are you using? I find a birdie grip helps get a cleaner release on rocs. ymmv

for me, i've found that a Roc isnt a disc that likes to be overpowered. It likes a smooth, straight release without the extra wrist torque and extra umph. As much as your TB goes 360-400, i wonder if you wont find that your Roc flies "naturally" in the 290-315' range, and the "extra power" you put into it to get the 340' is the difference maker. I know some of the pro's can and do, but making a 340' shot with a Roc seems overextended. I see a lot of guys using their Teebird or Eagles in this range - cant say i've ever seen someone throw a roc at a 340' hole.

I can throw my Roc in the 325' range in a field, but i find that i can park a construction cone everytime (in a field) at ~290-300, whereas at 325' my accuracy drops.

You sir, are bat ****. I get a sense that you haven't seen many people throw Rocs far have you? Roc's LOVE power. The more power the better, they just love CLEAN power. If you can't throw cleanly, then you can't throw them without turning them over. 400'+ is rather easy if you have good clean form. Rocs are like Teebirds, they can handle more power than other disc. Teebirds perform just the same at 320', as they would at 420'. Rocs do the same.

My straightest Rocs can take 350' of power without turning over. It all depends on how clean your form is. This is where way too many people think their few little dings in the plastic is "too beat up." So then they get rid of them, cause they flip due to their poor form.

Off Axis Torque. There's tons of threads about it. Usually if your disc turns and burns, OAT is the cause.

Also a lot of people rely on OAT and throw overstable stuff, which hurts their form.

Only if they don't know they're doing it. If they're doing it and are aware of how to manipulate it, then it's perfectly fine. Most aren't aware, or even aware it can be manipulated.

You sir, are bat ****. I get a sense that you haven't seen many people throw Rocs far have you? Roc's LOVE power. The more power the better, they just love CLEAN power. If you can't throw cleanly, then you can't throw them without turning them over. 400'+ is rather easy if you have good clean form. Rocs are like Teebirds, they can handle more power than other disc. Teebirds perform just the same at 320', as they would at 420'. Rocs do the same.

My straightest Rocs can take 350' of power without turning over. It all depends on how clean your form is. This is where way too many people think their few little dings in the plastic is "too beat up." So then they get rid of them, cause they flip due to their poor form.

As I'm more in the 200' range for Roc shots, I have no personal experience in what they do over 300' lol. What u say could be absolutely true, but I would be curious as to why this would be so. Don't most discs, by in large, tend to act more understable when their power rating is exceeded? When throwing Rocs at these distances, does the thrower need to put more spin on the disc? If the spin the thrower puts on the disc, increased with their arm speed, it seems this could account for it.

Certain discs have really wide ranges where they fly like they're supposed to. Many big bead putters, rocs and teebirds are all in this category. You don't have to have a big arm to get a good flight, but they'll also fly great at really high power levels. I can consistently throw a beat roc 325' dead straight, and it only gets flippy if my form isn't clean.

As Mr. Supa Mod said. That's just it. It's power range is that high. It can handle 400' of power easily. It's within it's power range, so it won't flip. 420' is pushing it, especially if it's a true straight flyer. It will have already turned. New though, I'd say they'll handle 420' rather easily.

Latest posts