• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] I cycle Rocs but...

My buddy showed me his 4 year old DX Roc... I think I might always have Comets. My oldest KC and a 6/10 DX I traded for are both more stable than a fresh Z Comet.

My buddy showed me his 4 year old DX Roc... I think I might always have Comets. My oldest KC and a 6/10 DX I traded for are both more stable than a fresh Z Comet.

I have several dx rocs that turn more than a fresh z comet, but none that can do what a beat x comet can. It takes a long time to get them there, but once you do they stay like that pretty much forever.

Played 45 holes of dg today and 180 kc is starting get a little more turn. But still not a turn over disc yet. The course we played today had a ton of tree tunnel shots between 200-250.... Kc saw a lot of action today. I almost don't like throwing it in the trees cause I like where its at right now. I can throw some lasers with this thing right now. Still liking my comet for stand still pulls up the middle

Last summer I started to put more time into disc golf and have been experimenting with different molds. Last summer I found a beat in roc(with no name on it) and fell in love. Then I purchased two more to cycle(for more love). I use my rocs from 200-250 ft. and I love the ability to put the roc onto a line and hold it. I have a dilemma now… I feel like my rocs don't fill two slots in my mid-range line up. One slot is an OS disc throw on a sharp hyzer, usually because I have thrown a bad shot and I am trouble. Then the other slot is an understable midrange that will turn right and finish straight/right. I want to keep my bag simple but since I throw a mid-range almost every hole it would be good to cover all the shots.
Discs I own that I think apply here: Aviars, beat pro-d buzz, really beat dx roc, lightly used dx roc, new dx roc, pro leopard, Glo Champ Firebird.
I throw RHBH with a little FH.
Should my cycled rocs cover all my shots?
Since I like experimenting should I just buy new plastic and hope I am not disappointed?
Or is there another option?
I basically throw Innova so the two discs I was looking at are a Gator and a Foxbat.
:popcorn:

Thanks for the advice!

You might try the Vibram Obex. I'd describe it as a more consistent Roc. It's OS/stable versus stable/US, like many beat-in Rocs. OS/stable means that it's straight in its initial flight, but will consistently finish to the left. In stronger headwinds, the disc will fly straight. In tailwinds, the Obex will fly farther than your drivers.

If you compare a Roc and an Obex, then you'll see that the Obex has less of a bevel than a Roc, so it has less glide than a Roc, but they're very similar in profile. Less glide, means more control.

Roc3 is plenty overstable
I took my my brand spankin new 180 g star roc 3 out for a test run today. I would agree its over stable for the average guy. It was moderately windy today , 5-10 mph, and the roc 3 was trust worthy on 250 foot headwind shots. Never even practiced with this disc, and it was key to my game today. I think it might be my over stable roc for a long time. almost time to put a fresh kc on top of, my now straight, kc 180. Once I get my roc that turns over consistently, mids will be all rocs. ( stingray still staying for now). I could probably drop the comet due to 180 kc getting straight. Pretty happy with mid line up of rocks right now.

I took my my brand spankin new 180 g star roc 3 out for a test run today. I would agree its over stable for the average guy. It was moderately windy today , 5-10 mph, and the roc 3 was trust worthy on 250 foot headwind shots. Never even practiced with this disc, and it was key to my game today. I think it might be my over stable roc for a long time. almost time to put a fresh kc on top of, my now straight, kc 180. Once I get my roc that turns over consistently, mids will be all rocs. ( stingray still staying for now). I could probably drop the comet due to 180 kc getting straight. Pretty happy with mid line up of rocks right now.

I havent tried the gstar but my gummy 1st production run champ roc3 is still really stable after a year plus of throwing it. Holds a great hyzer and fades hard, flex shots etc. Great disc! If I need something more stable than that I just use my puddle top esp zone.

An X or ESP Comet might be worth a try for your understable slot. Comets feel very similar to Rocs, but fly slightly different lines. Also, if a Star Rancho Roc (the most overstable easily attainable Roc) isn't overstable enough, you could try a a beaded Gator.

I use a Z comet in the 167-169 range for my understable mid and it has served me well.

I recently just got another Roc3 at 175g and its rather overstable as opposed to my 180g Roc3, but I did slam my 180 into a fence more than a few times so it's got more use. My most consistent OS mid would be an 165g X Comet. But from the looks of it your bag looks pretty solid.

So I bought an X Comet (170g) on Saturday and played a casual double rounds with it. It wasn't love at first site but mid game was pretty terrible that day. I am going to go play a practice round tonight at my local course so hopefully I can get a good feel for it

Rocs can cover most every midrange shot. Your saying that you're throwing Rocs 200-250 range makes me think that a fresh Roc should cover most overstable midrange needs. If you're looking for a really beefy Roc that's readily available, try a glow Roc3. I love mine for that.

But I've always kept a midrange or slow fairway for super overstable shots, FH rollers, beefy forehands, skip shots, etc.
Gators have made their way into my bag for that slot a couple times. Great disc. But I throw a lot of FH rollers for get out of trouble shots, and I like to have a midrange type disc that's just silly overstable in my bag. The Trident has taken that role for the last year or more. Gators fly like a less-glidey, more overstable Roc. Tridents fly more like a driver...they're like a slower firebird I guess. Just super mean overstable.

For understable roles, I still throw a Roc.
Nothing wrong with a Comet. That's another great disc. I've just never been able to trust them with any wind, and they're difficult for me to range for whatever reason, (too much GLIIIIIIIDE for daddy.) The thing I like about both Rocs and Buzzzes is that you can throw them like drivers and not have to worry that they'll flutter and turn over when you OAT them. Comets...not so much. Dudes with super solid consistent form can make Comets act like they have remote controls, but that's not me.
I spent a season or more with like 2 Comets, 2 Buzzzes and a Zone/Gator/*insert OS midrange* in the bag instead of Rocs. It's a very playable lineup.

My humble recommendation would be to throw what works for you right now, and keep your eye out for used Rocs. You can find them on the Marketplace here, on eBay, etc. Over time you start recognizing what Rocs you prefer to throw, and build a solid cache of backups. It's easy to find awesome fresh Rocs these days with the Roc3. But it takes some hunting to find a few more beat up Rocs to fill the rest of the slots.