• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I suck at putting

chalos13

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
It's time to admit it. I have developed a respectable drive, I'm very happy with my mid-range game, but my putting outright sucks. I miss birdie opportunities constantly. I need help. Does anyone have advice for me, something more specific or helpful than "just putt over and over" been doing that
thanks in advance.

You might just watch others on how they putt. the best way to get better in any aspect is to watch pros play. hard to understand what youre doing because you didnt tell us.

I'm all over the place, i throw over, hit the basket, bounce out of the chains to one side, full blown suckage. even putts that aren't really that far. my accuracy is just terrible

well... what do your missed putts look like? how do you miss, left? right? short? long? Do you hit chains alot and bounce out/away? perhaps then we can better assess your putts.

Eliminate any useless body movement during your putt, the more body parts that move during your motion the more chances you create of something going wrong, and learn to concentrate while putting in a way that nothing can distract you. Find a spot on the pole or a chain link and try to knock that spot off with your putter.
I believe the proper mental attitude during putting can improve your score.

Definitely watch better players. Also have them watch you, that way they can see mistakes(?) that you might be making.

If you keep practicing w/ bad habits, getting bad results, that is all you are going to get.

I am the same way but have gottten a little better by:

Picking a single link in 1 chain and focus on that. If I am on a hill, I go a link lower than normal, if the basket is on a hill, go a link higher.

Get a routine! This was the biggest help for me, especially after getting stuck in my head that "I suck at putting." Picking your link and getting in the same stance and doing the same putting motion is part, but also, I have a weird extra stupid routine mixed in. Flipp the disc in my hands 3 times while rocking back and forth, say something to yourself; whatever you want as long as it comes to no thoughts and just you and that one link.

I still am not that good at putting but this has helped a lot.

1. line
2. distance
3. height

these are three things that can go right with a putt, whether you make it or not. When you practice, think of these individually when you miss and work on adjusting them individually.

a tip from Ken Climo is to "paint the pole." Alot of pro putters do this, you'll see them taking their putter and bringing it up and down infront of them sort of painting the pole from top to bottom. This helps you mentally find line and height.

distance is difficult because its based mostly on your form and it can seriously effect your line and height. That said, what is your form?

I am by no means a great putter, but I have gotten a lot better lately. Here's what worked for me:

1. Hold a lot of putters and pick one that feels good to YOU. Not the guys on this site. Pick one that fits your putting style. Stable or understable. Whatever floats your boat. What works for others may not be good for you. Know thyself. After that don't change. It's not the putter, it's you. Get a few of them and use them before each round. I try to putt for at least 10 minutes each time I play. With 4 or 5 putters you can get a lot of quality shots in 10 minutes. Make them all. Nice short easy shots. Whatever your comfort range is. Don't worry, it will get farther as you get better.

2. Practice and get really confident on all the gimme putts. Don't miss anything under 15 feet. Worry about the 50 footers later. You aren't going to hit those 100% anyway.

3. Either lay it up or go for it. Don't be on the fence. If you are worried about the disc missing and rolling down the hill you already missed. Just lay it up. Be confident or don't go for it. For me that is the hardest part. Nothing worse than a 25 footers with a huge hill behind the basket.

4. And as Jimmy V once said, don't give up, don't ever give up.

Good luck.

1. line
2. distance
3. height

these are three things that can go right with a putt, whether you make it or not. When you practice, think of these individually when you miss and work on adjusting them individually.

a tip from Ken Climo is to "paint the pole." Alot of pro putters do this, you'll see them taking their putter and bringing it up and down infront of them sort of painting the pole from top to bottom. This helps you mentally find line and height.

distance is difficult because its based mostly on your form and it can seriously effect your line and height. That said, what is your form?
The bold part is helpful, I have that in my routine. What it also helps with is angle of release.

Go for it. By that I mean throw it with authority at the basket. Before I would throw lightly at the basket as I lacked confidence in my throw. I would fall short too many times. I am tired of falling short. By throwing it hard, I have more of a chance to make it in then if not hard enough.

my big hurdle putting that i still need to work on is thinking i am not a good putter. confidence goes a long way in putting. this past season for example i started strong, then focused so much on my putting that i became worse at it. as soon as i stopped thinking about it and just threw by feel, my putting came right back to me. now i am hitting most of those 15 -20 footers again.

I always give the same advice to my friends when they ask me for help with their putting:

Throw it at the basket.

It may seem simple, but putting is simple.

my big hurdle putting that i still need to work on is thinking i am not a good putter. confidence goes a long way in putting. this past season for example i started strong, then focused so much on my putting that i became worse at it. as soon as i stopped thinking about it and just threw by feel, my putting came right back to me. now i am hitting most of those 15 -20 footers again.

when putting gets really bad, I start putting from like 5 feet... it sounds dumb, but just being able to hear chains builds confidence. I start really really close and gradually move out.

Routine routine routine routine.
Putting never used to be one of my strong points until I started playing with some local Pros. They helped me to develop a routine in which I was comfortable, and boy, it helps.

No matter the distance of the putt, do the same routine every shot. For me, I usually count to 5 in my head and throw on 5. I've been doing that exact routine for over a year now, and when I throw my putter on 5, my mind is set on that disc hitting chains.

Develop a routine, and live by it!

Im a pretty bad putter myself, been playing 15 years and putt like a 2nd or 3rd year player, I miss a lot outside 20 feet, probly 50% of the time. Luckily i do have a good drive and mid range shot that usually puts me within that 10-20 foot range. I live and die by the saying " its all about the second shot". I just started this year with some different stances, I used to stand sideways to the basket and shank a lot left or right, This year ive been standing more square, looking right at the basket and sort of pushing the disc straight out into the basket, this helped my short putting immensly, but the 25-50 footers are still inconsistant becouse I cant putt squared up from that far away. Ill keep trying new stuff and see what works. One of my big problems is ive played with mostly friends that I can easily beat 95% of the time, doing so has probly made me a bit lazy with my game and made me feel better than I actually am. I didnt lose a match for probly about 30 rounds last summer, then I entered a local tourney in the AM1 bracket and ended up 6th out of like 15 guys, not that great.

Last edited:

Latest posts