• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

The white one is probably a Lightning Upshot. The red one is...some other Lightning disc? I can look and see when I get home, I recall Lightning discs with that sort of core piece but I don't remember the name of the disc.

Good suggestions, thanks! Lightning Upshot didn't even occur to me as a possibility, which is dumb because I actually bag an Upshot and own several. I'll compare them when I get a chance and report back.

Good suggestions, thanks! Lightning Upshot didn't even occur to me as a possibility, which is dumb because I actually bag an Upshot and own several. I'll compare them when I get a chance and report back.
Something to be aware of is that the Upshot was retooled. As I recall it got deeper with grip rings. I know I don't have any of the originals left so I have to go off memory, but the Upshot wasn't always the Upshot, you know?

Something to be aware of is that the Upshot was retooled. As I recall it got deeper with grip rings. I know I don't have any of the originals left so I have to go off memory, but the Upshot wasn't always the Upshot, you know?

I finally got a chance to do a comparison today. Compared to my Upshots, the white disc is lacking grip rings, it seems to be slightly deeper, the parting line is much lower, and the circle around the sprue is different. The overall vibe is definitely Upshot, though, so I'm guessing that it is indeed the original Upshot mold.

Thanks so much for the info! You have once again proven yourself an inexhaustible fount of disc golf wisdom.

I got this as an Infinite Discs mystery disc. The plastic feels similar to Latitude 64 Opto. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230225_132146.jpg
    20230225_132146.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230225_132211.jpg
    20230225_132211.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
I got this as an Infinite Discs mystery disc. The plastic feels similar to Latitude 64 Opto. Any ideas?

Definitely a TSA/Mint/Streamline disc unless MVP is molding for someone else now as well. My guess is TSA Ethos Synapse based on the rim size/profile compared with Discgolfcenters pics.

Definitely a TSA/Mint/Streamline disc unless MVP is molding for someone else now as well. My guess is TSA Ethos Synapse based on the rim size/profile compared with Discgolfcenters pics.

Does MVP mold the name of the model into the rim for TSA or Mint like they do for their own discs? I know their discs (MVP/Axiom/Streamline) all have the model molded into the wing but I don't know if they do that for the other brands.

Does MVP mold the name of the model into the rim for TSA or Mint like they do for their own discs? I know their discs (MVP/Axiom/Streamline) all have the model molded into the wing but I don't know if they do that for the other brands.

Idk about TSA, but not for Mint. The telltale sign for me besides the sticker is the injection spots.

Idk about TSA, but not for Mint. The telltale sign for me besides the sticker is the injection spots.

Oh, I wasn't doubting your call. I was just mostly curious if they were marking the rims of the molds like they do with their own discs. Thanks.

Prodigy Proto Stamp ID Help

Hello all,

Trying to nail down what mold this disc is. It's a 174g Prodigy Proto stamped disc, I think when I bought it the shop owner told me it was a D3, though I'm not sure how they could know either since it was a used disc. Also not sure what plastic. I've compared my rough measurements to what's listed on trydiscs.com and I've narrowed it down to these possibilities:

1. D1 Max
2. D3
3. Falcor
4. Reverb

I've hardly ever thrown it, so I can't really say how it flies. Though if I get a chance, I will try to get some more info on that as well and update my post.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20230415_143459.jpg
    20230415_143459.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230415_143741.jpg
    20230415_143741.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
Hello all,

Trying to nail down what mold this disc is. It's a 174g Prodigy Proto stamped disc, I think when I bought it the shop owner told me it was a D3, though I'm not sure how they could know either since it was a used disc. Also not sure what plastic. I've compared my rough measurements to what's listed on trydiscs.com and I've narrowed it down to these possibilities:

1. D1 Max
2. D3
3. Falcor
4. Reverb

I've hardly ever thrown it, so I can't really say how it flies. Though if I get a chance, I will try to get some more info on that as well and update my post.

Thanks for any help!

i don't think they were still using that stamp for any of your choices other than D3.

Hello all,

1. D1 Max
2. D3
3. Falcor
4. Reverb

Thanks for any help!

You might look carefully on the inside of the rim. I've seen a lot of discs like this, and Prodigy always writes the weight, model, and plastic on the inner rim. Maybe it got worn off on that disc.

You might look carefully on the inside of the rim. I've seen a lot of discs like this, and Prodigy always writes the weight, model, and plastic on the inner rim. Maybe it got worn off on that disc.

There is a faint trace of something written there, but I can't tell what it says. I think I'll go with D3 as discoe said.

I got these with a group of discs from the '80s. Neither has any kind of information molded into them, no tooling or anything. They're the right diameter for golf discs. The white one is a lid. The other one has a beveled edge and a normal rounded/domey top, but the bottom of the flightplate has a funny angle to it almost like you'd expect on a fastback disc.

Any ideas?

VintageUnknownTop.jpg

Update: A disc identical to the white one is currently for sale on Ebay and identified as a Super Puppy, so I'm guessing that's what mine is as well.

I got these with a group of discs from the '80s. Neither has any kind of information molded into them, no tooling or anything. They're the right diameter for golf discs. The white one is a lid. The other one has a beveled edge and a normal rounded/domey top, but the bottom of the flightplate has a funny angle to it almost like you'd expect on a fastback disc.

Any ideas?
the red one's top looks like the (lightning) rubber putter, but the bottom looks different. i haven't seen a really old one, so maybe they changed it. i guess since the other one is a super puppy, maybe it is one of those strange discs from hero

Hero makes dog discs (basically sonics of lighter weight and sometimes larger diameter) but did not make the Super Puppy. That was Destiny/Dynamic (not the same as Dynamic today) run by Jan Sobel.

Any ideas?

VintageUnknownTop.jpg

VintageUnknownBottom.jpg
My guess on the red disc was that it was a Lightning putter; it's not the Rubber Putter, but the Rubber Putter is the end of a list of retools that Lightning did to their putters. There are a few short-lived Lightning putters that even by the 90's you rarely saw because they sold poorly and were not around very long.

My problem was that I knew I didn't have whatever the disc was, and I didn't know very many people who would ID such a thing. I hassled a few people, got crickets and finally was forwarded this:

picture.php

From what I was told, the Thunderbolt is the starting point of Lightning Putters. It was retooled into the Falcon. The Falcon was retooled into the AT-6 Texan. All of that happens from '86-'88. The AT-6 Texan hung around until '93ish and was retooled into the Rubber Putter.

So back to your disc; I think there is a really good chance that it's either a Thunderbolt or a Falcon. Which one? Who knows? Not me!

I hope that helped.

White PreRelease Destroyer?

I came across this disc recently and picked it up knowing it was a pretty cool pre release destroyer. Once home and searching online I cannot find a single reference to this color plastic anywhere for the 2007 Masters PreRelease. Any info you guys can come up with would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Destroyer1.jpg
    Destroyer1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Destroyer2.jpg
    Destroyer2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 28
I came across this disc recently and picked it up knowing it was a pretty cool pre release destroyer. Once home and searching online I cannot find a single reference to this color plastic anywhere for the 2007 Masters PreRelease. Any info you guys can come up with would be appreciated.
if it is a pro destroyer (which p-ds would be), it's even more rare than the champs, which ebay has at 130+ :https://www.ebay.com/itm/234292614742