• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Ironically, this disc has been sitting next to a "new" whippet (early-to-mid 2000s) as well. I had a whippet (the dog) for 15 years so had to have it. I can definitely confirm (as most of you have already) that this is not a whippet, at least not of the mold I have.

Ironically, this disc has been sitting next to a "new" whippet (early-to-mid 2000s) as well. I had a whippet (the dog) for 15 years so had to have it. I can definitely confirm (as most of you have already) that this is not a whippet, at least not of the mold I have.

From what I can tell you is that the Whippet is the same mold it has always been just an X and L mold were made and it seems they now only make the X mold and probably would make more X molds if they needed to. Also the pop top domed version is what Innova makes in small numbers with Star plastic. I like the domed version but only in Pro or DX plastic as the Star plastic made the disc form as a pop top disc.

Last edited:
Hi all, sorry for the delay! I've attached a couple of other pictures - forgive me, not sure what's the best angles to provide. i did notice that there is a weight written on it - 167.

Thank you for the information you've given so far! I'm definitely not looking to sell for tons of money...just feels too nice to add to the Goodwill pile. I was going to call Mt. Airy or Disc 'N Dat in Florence and see if either of them would have interest in it.

Let me know if you need to see anything else!

A bead so that is a Cobra as those do have a traditional bead to them unlike a Stingray with a bead at the nose edge on both the Star and DX and a Whippet with only the small nose bead on the DX model a now oop plastic for the Whippet. Innova still makes a Star Whippet X now in the limited run section for the Innova Disc Pro Shop.

From what I can tell you is that the Whippet is the same mold it has always been just an X and L mold were made and it seems they now only make the X mold and probably would make more X molds if they needed to. Also the pop top domed version is what Innova makes in small numbers with Star plastic. I like the domed version but only in Pro or DX plastic as the Star plastic made the disc form as a pop top disc.
OK, I have no idea what happened here BUT...

The pictured disc is 100% for certain NOT a Cobra. Me thinks it's a Viper.

Ironically, a disc that I can't tell from a Viper in pictures is the old 90's Whippet. In person the Whippet is small diameter and the Viper is large diameter so they are easy to tell apart, but it pictures they look alike. Same tooling as well. So since you have a Whippet, you can see if they have the sameish diameter or if the Edgewood Electric disc has a noticeably larger diameter. Same diameter=old Whippet; larger diameter=Viper.

Last edited:
OK, I have no idea what happened here BUT...

The pictured disc is 100% for certain NOT a Cobra. Me thinks it's a Viper.

Ironically, a disc that I can't tell from a Viper in pictures is the old 90's Whippet. In person the Whippet is small diameter and the Viper is large diameter so they are easy to tell apart, but it pictures they look alike. Same tooling as well. So since you have a Whippet, you can see if they have the sameish diameter or if the Edgewood Electric disc has a noticeably larger diameter. Same diameter=old Whippet; larger diameter=Viper.

I think I said wrong disc as I was looking at the Whippet and Viper molds when I said what I said. :doh: Yes both molds are similar but again the Whippet did not have the bead on the inner part of the disc as far as I have seen the mold, a person who was the main founder of the modern disc golf club in my area had a 1993 DX Whippet he was using in 2004 when he found a course in my area. I met him by accident, he started playing with our group keeping his own score for the then 9 hole course. I thought that mold was a bit wide in the wing to be a midrange that slow. Viper and Whippet had ushered in the first discs faster then a midrange in the early 1990's and were when some of my relatives an Uncle and Cousin started playing in 1998 still some of the fastest discs on the market, awkward wing X2 and the Eagle were not much faster only a speed faster.

identifing an Innova disc

This disc looks and measures out to be a Roadrunner when compared with other stock Roadrunners. I am not even sure Roadrunners are made in Champion Metal Flake plastic. I am hoping someone can identify the stamp for me so I can continue to try to figure out for certain what model disc this is. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7445.jpg
    IMG_7445.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 95
This disc looks and measures out to be a Roadrunner when compared with other stock Roadrunners. I am not even sure Roadrunners are made in Champion Metal Flake plastic. I am hoping someone can identify the stamp for me so I can continue to try to figure out for certain what model disc this is. Thank you in advance.

Try the ID this Disc thread. A profile (side view) will help a lot. It could be a Sidewinder as well.

Discs Unlimited Open 03.28.15

Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired a Champion Innova disc stamped "Discs Unlimited Open 03.28.15." It's a translucent white disc.

Asking around from some more experienced friends of mine, our best guess is that the disc is an Eagle.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this specific fundraiser disc and could share more information about it?

I'm not sure about the disc, but the river is definitely the Mississippi. (about 17 miles north of Memphis if I had to pinpoint it)

Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired a Champion Innova disc stamped "Discs Unlimited Open 03.28.15." It's a translucent white disc.

Asking around from some more experienced friends of mine, our best guess is that the disc is an Eagle.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this specific fundraiser disc and could share more information about it?

Here.

Some of you could do a lot of your own sluething with a metric ruler and this list.

https://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs

This might be directed at me but honestly I'm not sure how I would use that page to identify my disc. The file just contains a list of every disc approved for use by the PDGA. I guess you are suggesting that I measure my disc by diameter, dome height etc and try to match this way. But I am a beginner... I can hold a teebird and an eagle in opposite hands and not be able to tell the difference.

Latest posts