• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ID required to enter an event

I like this idea and was really surprised when I started playing sanctioned events and was not asked to see my PDGA member card or my DL.

this is discrimination to people who can't afford I.D.

I don't about anywhere else, but Texas ( and I'm sure other places) require a valid ID after 17 years old, by law. And the cost is negligible, like $20. Just my opinion but if you can afford to enter tournaments, you can afford to get an ID.

I think this is a decent idea. Not really sure that it happens all that often, but asking someone to prove who there is not unreasonable. Again only my opinion.

I am surprised that no one has ever asked for my PDGA id. What's to keep someone from saying they are a current member just to get out of paying the extra $10 fee at sanctioned events or playing in a division they aren't qualified for (ie someone who's 37 playing masters)?

Having never played a tournament on any level, I would have assumed at a PDGA sponsored event there would be some sort of ID required.

This is one of those seems like a good idea on the outside but what would it really accomplish? You would have to accept more forms of ID besides government issued IDs or there would be a backlash. If somebody is willing to fake their name to get in to a tourney I'm guessing they'll take the time to make a fake ID. Making a fake ID is extremely easy with today's technology.

Seems like you'd just be adding on an entirely bigger dimension of hassle come tourney morning during registration and probably piss off more TDs than you do players.

You'd also add one more reason to consider not sanctioning a tournament.

Most tournaments are pretty local and it's fairly rare to have a player nobody knows show up.

I find it hard to believe that many people are traveling far enough to not be known by anyone, paying travel costs, paying entry fees, to win $70 in plastic.

As a member of the PDGA discipline committee, I can tell you it happens more than you might think.

Obviously can't discuss names, dates, etc. But it happens.

I bring this post up because this something we have thrown around and I was wanting to get the mass opinion of it.

And yes, it would be better on the PDGA DB. But I actually want more than 4 respones.

How do we know you are on the PDGA PB? Got any ID to prove it?

Can't discuss names or dates, but how about occurrences. How many times was this an identified issue last year? twice? maybe?

If our hypothetical guy was smarter, he'd stick to unsanctioned events for fleecing the flock, perhaps.

I don't think IDs would be necessary at anything but larger events, and it makes sense when checking in to at least have this option. Heck, at kid bowling tournies I'd take my daughters to, they charged you a couple bucks at sign in if you didn't bring your membership card. (At least they said they would, kept that puppy in the bag.) This would work for PDGA members as well.

But still, what difference does it make if he uses a real name or fake name? You're still not going to cross-reference to the ID used at other events...

Got to agree with this. How would a picture ID help a TD to determine someone's PDGA status?

Although I do agree that if someone claims to be a PDGA member, they should have to show their PDGA ID

How do we know you are on the PDGA PB? Got any ID to prove it?

Can't discuss names or dates, but how about occurrences. How many times was this an identified issue last year? twice? maybe?

I don't really care if you believe me or not.

And I can't comment about matters.

I don't really doubt that things like the listed scenario happen. 99% of disc golfers are good guys and really don't create any problems, but the other 1% has some weird dudes. I'm also sure where this is an issue is in places with a concentration of highly rated players i.e. North Carolina and California. How often it happens and if it's a big enough problem to require ID's world wide at all PDGA events would be my question.

To me, I don't care. I always have my ID with me so if I need to show it so what? From the debate over voting, I guess there are people who manage to live without one. It seems like a bigger hassle to live without one than to just go get one, but whatever. So you could run into that. More likely there are the guys who would just refuse to show ID due to some "principle" and would make you decide if you were going to take their money or turn them away. Seems like a huge hassle that some TD's would just blow off anyway.

I don't really care if you believe me or not.

And I can't comment about matters.

Wow touchy.

You come in saying you know all but won't discuss at all.

All I am asking is how many instances of this type of issue occurred in 2011 season. Not asking for details, locations names or anything else. Just a number.

You are saying there is a reason to force a new administrative burden on all TD's. If that is the case, present some data to justify it.

How many PDGA sanctioned tournaments occurred last year and how many times was this type of identity fraud found to have occurred?

This is one of those seems like a good idea on the outside but what would it really accomplish? You would have to accept more forms of ID besides government issued IDs or there would be a backlash. If somebody is willing to fake their name to get in to a tourney I'm guessing they'll take the time to make a fake ID. Making a fake ID is extremely easy with today's technology.

Seems like you'd just be adding on an entirely bigger dimension of hassle come tourney morning during registration and probably piss off more TDs than you do players.

You'd also add one more reason to consider not sanctioning a tournament.

To me, I don't care. I always have my ID with me so if I need to show it so what? From the debate over voting, I guess there are people who manage to live without one. It seems like a bigger hassle to live without one than to just go get one, but whatever. So you could run into that. More likely there are the guys who would just refuse to show ID due to some "principle" and would make you decide if you were going to take their money or turn them away. Seems like a huge hassle that some TD's would just blow off anyway.

These are all very good points. If the problem is legitimate enough and frequent enough to implement this solution, then ok, but it seems like it may not be worth the hassle. In other organizations, membership cards are either required to be shown or can be verified after the event, but I've never ever seen anyone ask for i.d.

Personally, I'd be ok showing i.d. as long as there are no scans or copies being made. Not a privacy freak, but you never know where your info may end up or who might be interested in it. I've seen enough shady types around the dg and tournament scene that I prefer to keep more of a low profile until I get to know the peeps. As a three-time victim of credit card fraud and one attempt at identity theft, I take it a bit more seriously now than some people might.

Wow touchy.

You come in saying you know all but won't discuss at all.

All I am asking is how many instances of this type of issue occurred in 2011 season. Not asking for details, locations names or anything else. Just a number.

You are saying there is a reason to force a new administrative burden on all TD's. If that is the case, present some data to justify it.

How many PDGA sanctioned tournaments occurred last year and how many times was this type of identity fraud found to have occurred?

I know of at least one serious incident last year with this happening. And at least two not so serious incidents this year of it hapenning.