• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

Now imagine how good you'd be if it was only speed 6ish and below? That like a Gazelle would be the fastest disc in your bag?

The day I played a one disc round, with only my Tangent, I was within 3-4 throws of my record score. So, yea, I'd be fine with that too. :thmbup:

^Yeah, I go out with just a Roc and Wizard all the time when I don't feel like carrying my whole bag, and my score always ends up being pretty much the same as if I brought my whole bag.

My game would definitely take a hit. The 2 places I play the most there are a lot of long distance holes and they help a ton. Now if I only used my mids and putters for the medium to short distance holes my game would prolly be better. At some of the smaller places I could just play with no drivers at all pretty easy but I love me some long range holes. Its where I cut my teeth when I really got into discgolf.

Hell for the first 2 years getting back into the game or so all I ever played with were drivers lol. They're a blasty blast!!

Also I cant sidearm any of my mids or putters. Are there sidearm mids out there?

Last edited:
Considering my distance sucks as is - I doubt that I'd lose much without distance drivers :|

lol @ people saying they'd still be good if they could carry their qausi-distance/fairway drivers like PDs.

Now imagine how good you'd be if it was only speed 6ish and below? That like a Gazelle would be the fastest disc in your bag?

I've played two of my best rounds recently with nothing but a Tursas, Pain, Mako3, Summit, and Pure. For some of the gaps or double mandos at my local courses, the straight control makes up for the loss in distance.

My game would definitely take a hit. The 2 places I play the most there are a lot of long distance holes and they help a ton. Now if I only used my mids and putters for the medium to short distance holes my game would prolly be better. At some of the smaller places I could just play with no drivers at all pretty easy but I love me some long range holes. Its where I cut my teeth when I really got into discgolf.

Hell for the first 2 years getting back into the game or so all I ever played with were drivers lol. They're a blasty blast!!

Also I cant sidearm any of my mids or putters. Are there sidearm mids out there?

There are, generally sidearm leans more on the stable to overstable side, if your looking for a line shaper that will get some distnace try a Karma, if you want something with all the time reliable fade get a Innova Gator. Also your fast overstable putter/mid hybrids do well for short spikes and hard doglegs like the Zone or Pig.

So if I take out my Wraiths, Mamba, Valkyrie, Avenger SS and Surge SS I'd be ok. If we are talking about taking out the 7 speed fairway drivers as well, then I might be in a little trouble. I guess my Roc3 and Ghost would be getting some serious work and I'd be putting my Leopard and Whippet back in the bag.

lol @ people saying they'd still be good if they could carry their qausi-distance/fairway drivers like PDs.

I don't know if this was aimed at me, but I would be fine not carrying my PDs too. I was just asking what the parameters were in regards to fairway drivers and distance drivers, and where the PD fit in them. The PD is the only disc I throw regularly that comes close to being a distance driver(and I could easily throw Teebirds in their place if I had to).

I only have a Beast for a distance driver. I dont have the power for the distance drivers really. You can take my Beast away, but you will not get my teebirds until you can pry them from my cold, dead fingers! You can take my mids before my 'birds!

Id be good, I rarely throw my Havoc still learning it pretty much. I choose accuracy over max distance, my saints and underworlds do the trick. Who needs high speed when you can get all that Lat glide.

90% of the courses around me are wooded and tight. For those, I pretty much only throw mids and putters. In that regard, I wouldn't miss them. But on some of the more open, long distance courses, the long distance drivers come in handy for giving me some extra distance. When I play one-disc rounds I use either my Tangent or Roc and don't really see much change in my score...probably because I use those 2 discs for 80% of my shots overall. It all boils down to comfort level.

I would definitely miss my Trespasses, but I could definitely manage. I love throwing my fairways and mids. It would probably help my game, making me use fairways that are more controllable in situations I'd normally throw something higher speed with less control.

I would be good. I only throw my Surge FH, so I'd be good throwing my Teebirds and Firebirds.

Probably would hurt me short term. I'd lose my Mamba and my Archon. I can get the same type of line as my Mamba with an Underworld, I just get more D on the Mamba. I'd have to figure something out for my flick. The Archon has been the straightest thing for me with a reasonable amount of distance.

I guess it comes down to, if distance drivers were never invented. If they weren't, we would all be fine because the courses would be shorter and, more important than that, we would have adjusted to using things of a lower-speed...because honestly, most players (to include myself) will sometimes use distance drivers as a crutch, for that easy extra 20 or 30 feet. Sort of the opposite of Des Reading's discussion of "discing down"...instead we sometimes "disc up." This is especially true with newer players, but we can all be honest here..I myself have reached for a Destroyer or a Tern when I could have easily hit it with a Shock or Volt or even a Teebird or Patriot when I was tired or just lazy.

Go on YouTube and check out the 1999 World Championships. There were some higher-speed stuff back then, but look at those guys all throwing Rocs and gazelles and Cyclones. And they are certainly out-playing what most of us on here could do.

BUT...if they just took high-speed drivers out right now, I bet everyone's game would take a hit to some degree. But within a couple years we could all be back to where we are now, if not better. That's average of course, there's a lot of players on here and elsewhere that would legit just not be effected by it at all.

I like the question, and if people answer it honestly, they'll be in one of two camps - A) the guys who can use all their discs comfortably and who know they could make due and B) the guys who started with a Boss and flex the crap out of it to get to 300' and don't know how to throw anything else.

For camp A, everything will even out. The guy who beats you by 3 strokes, will probably still beat you by three strokes, even if you both need one or two more shots to finish. For camp B, time to go on a discing down adventure.

I like the question, and if people answer it honestly, they'll be in one of two camps - A) the guys who can use all their discs comfortably and who know they could make due and B) the guys who started with a Boss and flex the crap out of it to get to 300' and don't know how to throw anything else.

For camp A, everything will even out. The guy who beats you by 3 strokes, will probably still beat you by three strokes, even if you both need one or two more shots to finish. For camp B, time to go on a discing down adventure.

I wouldn't go that general. Some guys (like myself) don't have monster cannons for arms and will never be able to throw a Teebird 400 feet or a Roc 350. So there could be a C Camp that is guys like myself who use a lot of distance drivers, but know their other discs enough that within a year their level of play would be back up to snuff as long as they played in their skill group.

Which is another facet of this question...are we talking about tournaments/leagues here? Because, if so, I think everything would kind of be the same. Us Rec/Intermediate players will still do the same in our divisions, same with Advanced, Pro, etc.

But I guarantee if all distance drivers went away today, almost all casual rounds would suffer in the short term. But like I said before, there are some who would get back to a high level of play within a week, and other who would take more time.