• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] If you could only use 5 discs for a round

Lemayd

If you could only choose 5 discs to build a bag what would you choose and why?

175g Eraser Wizard: I putt, approach, and tee-off with Wizards. Unless there's a headwind, I'm throwing this for any shot below 225 feet.

180g DX Roc and 175g S-Line FD: These two discs can be manipulated to cover nearly any line that I need to hit from 225 to 330 feet. I'd go with a slightly beat-in Roc and a fresh FD.

170g G* Valkyrie: Max controlled distance. For me, this fits the "flippy Destroyer" slot. Super reliable hyzer-flip s-lines to around 350-360 feet. Also a great disc for dead-straight, low-to-the-ground 300-foot forehands that woods courses so often demand.

175g Sexton Firebird: Gotta have something overstable in the bag to trust in a headwind and throw for sweeping flex lines, spike hyzers, and skip shots. Plus, I can power down on a Firebird to cover most of the shots I'd typically throw with a Harp or MD5. (In this hypothetical five-disc scenario, though, I'm already missing my Harp...)

Anode - anything/everything if wind isn't a factor
Verdict - can take FH approaches/drives as well as power BH shots that the Anode can't handle
FD - can power down for straight midrange shots or any angle fairway shots
Thunderbird - versatile BH/FH, can handle Teebird like shots to Firebird like shots in a pinch
Wraith - versatile on any line BH/FH and wide power range

2nd run ce valk- any distance shots or long rollers
11x kcp teebird- all fairway shots fh/bh
beat dx stingray- tricky bh and short rollers
esp zone- any short range fh or OS approach
color glow bb aviar- neutral driving putter/putting putter

Last edited:
Gateway PW Shield
BT Hard Zone
KC Pro Classic Roc
EcoStar Gazelle
750G Destroyer

Make good discs even better!

1. Multi-purpose putter: I like the Proxy for this. I putt with this. I upshot with this. My favorite overall disc.
2. Mid: Roc all day.
3. Understable Fairway: I like the Glide for this. Great for standstill shots, patent pendings, tight tunnels, and anhyzers.
4. Overstable Fairway: For me this is the Clash. Great for flick upshots, spike hyzers, skip shots, windy upshots.
5. Controllable D: This is the slot that I bounce around the most on. Lately I have been favoring a pro wraith. It is trustworthy in the wind (for my form), gives great distance without wandering, but doesn't fade too hard. Nicely balanced disc.

If you will permit me a 6th disc, I will add the Opto River. In calm conditions, this is my go-to. And that is my bag :)

Here's one

And here's what I said then.

I recently did this for a weekend trip to the other coast. I actually picked discs that didn't matter a ton to me, cuz I simply stuffed them in a carry-on bag:
1. D Challenger 173-174
2. Big Z Buzzz 177
3. Cryztal Drone 175
4. Z Comet 175
5. Champ Katana 175 (of the more "domey" variety)

My response way back then was surprisingly different, having only been playing about 6 months. Of course, it depends on the course, but...

Plasma Ion
Z or Big Z Buzzz
Gibson Leopard 3 or Pro Leopard
Z Undertaker or Star Teebird
Star Beast or ESP Surge

Classic Marshal
Pink Panther
Champion Leopard3
I-blend Sphinx
Pro Shryke

Note: if the course is all woods or has no long open holes, substitute a Champion Polecat for the Shryke.

I thought about being wishy-washy with wind:no wind woods or open but for all purpose

Wizard to putt
Soft BT harp for most approaches short drives
Seasoned Opto Compass for everything midrange
MF Teebird for stable/OS driver
S-line FD for stable/US driver

I only carry 8 now, so this is pretty easy.

XT Bullfrog - Putt and stable approach
Star Mirage - Under-stable approach

KC Roc - Stable/under-stable mid
Star RocX3 - Stable/over-stable mid

Champ Leo3 - Main fairway duties as well as driver.

I'd miss my *Caiman, *TL and Champ Orc, but I can make due with just those 5.

I'll bite.

Clutch
Comet
Teebird
Roadrunner
Firebird

5, how about 4?

dx Rhyno
dx VRoc
star Gator
champ Teebird

why: they cover everything I need