• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've definitely got to get up there, one of my favorites in this area for sure.

Im also hoping to get up there this weekend if the weather is nice. My only gripe with the course are the multiple pin positions; you can miss out on some awesome holes if the baskets are in the short sleeve.

For Saturday, channahon could be a bit wet if this rain keeps up, eh?

Speaking of RLW, with the new concrete tees replacing the old rubber tees, I bumped it up to 5 discs (I only have 2 out of the 70 courses I've played rated that high.)

Justified? Or is a bit of home-boy bias creeping into the equation?

I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts...I've been going back and forth on this for about a week and a half now. :p

Im also hoping to get up there this weekend if the weather is nice. My only gripe with the course are the multiple pin positions; you can miss out on some awesome holes if the baskets are in the short sleeve.

For Saturday, channahon could be a bit wet if this rain keeps up, eh?

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, then rainy again Saturday last I looked. I think we're going to get out there after work tomorrow, we'll see how the place looks.

Speaking of RLW, with the new concrete tees replacing the old rubber tees, I bumped it up to 5 discs (I only have 2 out of the 70 courses I've played rated that high.)

I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts...I've been going back and forth on this for about a week and a half now. :p

It's pretty close, but there are still some ****ty tees there. Like twos short ass brick tee and the astroturf tee.
I'm not sire what pin positioms they are in. They changed them.between rounds at the tourney and during the final they were mostly in the longs.

I can see giving a 5 there, I have it as a 4.5 which puts it in the top 16 out of 442 for me.

Nah... Too many holes that require little thought, not enough legitimate par 4's for me.

My top 3 (not including some spectacular private courses that aren't reviewable):

1. Flip City
2. Rogers Lakewood
3. Highland Hills (NC)

Nah... Too many holes that require little thought, not enough legitimate par 4's for me.

So you require a course to have legit par 4's (or 5's) in order to get consideration for a 5-disc rating?

That's an interesting thought...I certainly DO NOT have that a requirement, as my 5-disc assessment of Flip shows.

Grey Fox is currently set up in the odds short - evens long, except for 8, 12 and 18 which are in short and 13 which is supposedly going to stay in the long on the island. It makes for one of the easier set ups, and you do miss out on some of the good pin positions, but still a good time.

Yeah, the cold turkey tourney was awesome because they were all in the longs for a round. Lucky treat I suspect.

Personally, I love par 4's and 5's; I feel they usually have the best risk/reward, shot to shot. Especially those that are like two "normal" holes laid end to end, with the same hazards as normal holes. Lake Nacogdoches had two holes like that, done really well. Still, not a 5... I am a very opinionated reviewer.

So you require a course to have legit par 4's (or 5's) in order to get consideration for a 5-disc rating?

That's an interesting thought...I certainly DO NOT have that a requirement, as my 5-disc assessment of Flip shows.

This is the only reason I find Flip City to be extremely overrated. It's pretty much all par 3 holes, which is just not challenging enough. There is elevation, there are lines to hit, but there aren't any technical holes and there aren't any true par 4 and par 5's (except hole 2A, which I would consider a par 4). There are courses out east that would blow Flip City out of the water.

And yeah, Grey Fox isn't worth the drive right now. Too many holes in the short position. Out of all the really cool longs (3, 7, 12, 14, 15, 17) only 14 is in the long position right now. I would wait until they change it around.

The pins at Grey Fox won't change till at least the end of the month, they were changed around April 28. Except for possibly the the evens that are short.

I really do agree with your assessment of flip; I felt the same way. I wanted to play it again without snow before rating it, but I'd be lying to myself with a 5, I think. Maybe.

Thanks for the heads up on Grey Fox, that is primo information! :thmbup:

speaking of legitimate par 4s...foundation is mostly in the b's now except for a couple holes that took some storm damage, and some par 3's to keep folks interested in an ace fund at league. so it's about 8500' of grinding golf from the shorts 10000' from the longs. I'll let you know when we clean up the storm damage and the course dries out a bit.:thmbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts