• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm New

BearWolf

I'm a new member to this site and my family and I are new to disc golf. We played a hand full of times and we love it. We like the fact that other than the initial cost of the disc there riley isn't any other expenses to account for, other than the occasional donation and gas to get there. We also like the fact that we can play as a family. I have a ten year old daughter and she out throws my wife and I some times. Boy does she get a kick out of that.:D

I have a couple of questions:

What are some good discs for my daughter to be using? Right now all of her discs are right around the 175 range. Does it make a difference if they are lighter? Should she continue using the heavy disc to improve her arm strength?

Does any one from Michigan know where I can find a league or a club to join? Preferably something that has some youth involvement. I know about the club in Ann Arbor but that is a little far away for me. I live in the suburbs of Detroit. Garden City to be exact.

My dad lives 30 minutes from Beauty, Beast and Goliath and my brother lives two miles from flip city. I can't wait to play them in two weeks.

Any way this is my first post, hopefully it won't be my last.

Bear

I believe for most throws a lighter disc would be best for your daughter. try to find something in the 150 range. It's great you can get out with your family. my son is 10 and just starting to play. welcome to the site.

Welcome to the best disc golf site on the web!!

I would definitely recommend the lighter weight discs for your wife and daughter.

Get both of them something similar to a Cobra or Stingray in the 150 class. The lighter weight discs fly much farther and much straighter with less arm speed and power. They'll thank you.

Check out discgolfersR.us for some Michigan groups - the site founder is from Michigan.

Beauty is a blast, but Beast and Goliath may be a bit much for the fam unless they're really "into" playing. Everyone will love Flip City since the am and jr tees will keep the whole fam on an even footing....just be prepared for some uphill scrambles, make sure you take bug spray, and touch no part or a rock garden or tree without looking for poison ivy first!

If you head north for some playing, look me up.

175 might be too much for some men here lol. Give her something lighter fosure.

once they get their midrange and putter throws down there are some good beginner drivers. The Archangel would be a suitable choice.

once they get their midrange and putter throws down there are some good beginner drivers. The Archangel would be a suitable choice.

And I would have them stick to the light weights in these too. My girlfriend went from throwing my 172 roadrunner to her own 165, and it instantly added 30' to her drives, along with making her feel like throwing was less of a struggle.

Welcome to the site and sport amigo, may I suggest an Aero for all of you as it kind of blurs between putter and midrange, has tons of beginner friendly glide, and makes a pretty good catch disc which helps iron out accuracy flaws. And yeah, definitely get something lighter than 175, I wouldn't go higher than 165 grams with the drivers. My humble opinion.

Start with a very light midrange like a Cobra, Shark, Coyote , or Skeeter. Then try to find a light putter. I you are just learing the game, those are the only two discs each person needs. Try to keep the weights under 160.

150 putters are hard to find , but they are out there. I think Innova Birdies are mostly in 150 that I have seen

Start with a very light midrange like a Cobra, Shark, Coyote , or Skeeter. Then try to find a light putter. I you are just learing the game, those are the only two discs each person needs. Try to keep the weights under 160.

150 putters are hard to find , but they are out there. I think Innova Birdies are mostly in 150 that I have seen
Hero Disc has a lot of 150s. They also have a lot of misprints for sale. You can try out more discs for less money.

Welcome to a pretty addictive sport. I would suggest a leopard or shark in around 150g. Enjoy.:D

Welcome to the farm.

The discs I like to give beginners are sharks, aviars & beat up valks. Stuff like that.

ANY midrange is better than some drivers for a new player, unless they are a fingerpop wunderkind ninja or Yoda.

Plastic-Lite is fine... but if she is outdriving you with max weight discs... hmmm, what the heck.

:^)

Focus on the fun recreational part. That may soon go away.

Last edited:
I agree with all the previous posts, but I wouldn't go with a light putter. Light putters are too suseptible to the wind. Besides, You shouldn't have to throw your putter really far, and there is nothing wrong with putting longer putts with a midrange.
This game is really addictive and everyone (myself included) wants to go to long range drivers way too early in their careers. I think it's because they say LONG RANGE on them.
You picked a good site to start with. Most everyone here is very helpful and friendly.
Welcome aboard.

Keep having fun with it all.

First, you should always start at lighter discs and work your way to the heavier discs. Lighter discs are easier to get moving on their flight pattern.

Second, many of the discs that you shoose will depend on how you are currently throwing discs and if you are happy with where you are at or if you want to improve your form. Typically they say that beginners should use understable discs, but part of me thinks that this just perpetuates bad habits to some extent.

Third, as far as specific discs are concerned: A putter that feels good in your hand and that flies the way you like, hopefully into the basket more often than not. I like a Spider or Skeeter for midrange to start. For a Fairway Driver I would reccomend a TL or TeeBird. The TL should be good until you really start throwing far and then you should think about faster drivers. I feel that these discs will be great discs but will also show you where some of your bad habits are without covering them up.

Thank you for all of you input, I will look into some 150 class disc for my wife and daughter. I'm thinking the Avenger and a birdie putter.

We will see what happens. We will be playing Beast on May 29th. And hopefully Flip City on the 30th.

Question? How do you hyper link your DGCR# at the bottom of you post?