• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm turning over Pro Destroyers & Wraiths. Any suggestions to help a guy?

Don't listen to all the pinche vatos. :(

Get yourself an Echo Star Destroyer, and a Flat top Star Wraith, and let er rip. :D

If you like lighter weights, Innova is now producing Star Light Destroyers down to around 165 grams that are stable like a Firebird.

Thanks Jack. This is all I'm asking. I have friends locally who can help with my mechanics.

They can suggest answers to the same question I have here. But the wealth of knowledge is much greater here. So I thought I would tap in.

If you just want disc help, pick something faster and/or more stable. Try a star version of the same discs, or pick up a pro boss, or a star boss etc.

Putter rounds are also great. If you're overthrowing with a driver, see if you can get a roc out there.

I have been using a champ shark. There is some success with that. It is also helping with disc control and speed at release.

I have never thrown a putter round but that may be a good idea. I can see where it would help with proper release and speed.

My lousy sarcasm can't hold a candle to your ignorance. You have had more than enough people (2 of which are adv./pro players) in this thread tell you it's OAT yet you fail to believe it. Then you go on to tell us how you know people in real life that can help your technique, yet you're here asking people who have never seen you throw.

You fire back with an arrogance to anything anyone has to say pertaining to you and off axis torgue.

If it's just a simple answer to your change of plastic question you're looking for, go with champion, it's more stable than the others when new and stays that way for a little while.

Have a great day.

Last edited:
The only problem with getting more stable versions of the same stuff you are already throwing is that they arent going to go as far. They will fight OAT turnover more and stable out sooner. Plus Champ plastic has less glide. Your new drivers aren't going to fix anything - in fact, they will actually make it worse. Since they wont go as far and fly as predictably, you will probably start throwing them harder. And since there is some kind of flaw in your technique, the flaw will only be exaggerated.

Exactly, that's all I've been trying to say. If you're turning Destroyers over, changing the same mold to a more stable version doesn't really help, it just masks the bad form even more.

Sorry for being a jerk in the beginning but really, it's not the discs, get some of those guys you said that can help you work on the technique and you'll start hyzer flipping them into a nice long s-curve.

Goodluck.

:)

Is your Pro Destroyer flat? I have a domey pop-top Pro Destroyer that is more overstable than either my Champ or Star, which are both flat. If yours is domey and you were turning it over when new I'd have to agree there's something wrong with your form. I can't really say one way or the other how a flat Pro Destroyer acts though, but I do know Pro Wraiths can be really flippy. Champ Wraiths are extremely overstable in comparision, but the Star Wraiths are just right and beat in to one hell of a sweet spot.

Exactly, that's all I've been trying to say. If you're turning Destroyers over, changing the same mold to a more stable version doesn't really help, it just masks the bad form even more.

Sorry for being a jerk in the beginning but really, it's not the discs, get some of those guys you said that can help you work on the technique and you'll start hyzer flipping them into a nice long s-curve.

Goodluck.

:)

If you had not been a jerk in the beginning I would have listened.

Not everything in life needs sarcasm. I understand there is improvement needed in mechanics. I am working on that. All I asked is if a change of plastic would be helpful.

I am sorry I got my hackles up. But an honest answer with a good explanation by anyone who attempted to help would have been listened too.

Is your Pro Destroyer flat? I have a domey pop-top Pro Destroyer that is more overstable than either my Champ or Star, which are both flat. If yours is domey and you were turning it over when new I'd have to agree there's something wrong with your form. I can't really say one way or the other how a flat Pro Destroyer acts though, but I do know Pro Wraiths can be really flippy. Champ Wraiths are extremely overstable in comparision, but the Star Wraiths are just right and beat in to one hell of a sweet spot.

Yes both are flat as a pancake.

I have really increased my distance in the last year. I have started to reach back farther and get my hips more into the motion. I now throw very steady at 320' and can hit 350' on occasion. I know these distances are accurate because of where I play. I have thrown it past number 17 at Newport News and I can just reach number 2.

My problem is even releasing my Wraith, and now my Destroyers, with a hyzer on them I am still turning them over. It is not a little turn over it is really flipping.

Would a simple plastic change help or do I need to go to a Boss or Katana. I like wide rims.

Yo Dog, no disrespect but it really sounds like some kind of OAT issue, it could be from a right to left run-up, or reaching back past a pure hyzer line or in follow through. Its hard to spot some issues in real time especially when throwing fast discs. Driving putters/mids will show issues, and a video can show more.

Granted Pro plastic is flippy and those discs do have a bit of high speed turn, so switching to Star/Champ or more stable/faster discs would at least temporary fix your issue, but those discs should be flying a good bit farther before turning that much on pure hyzer. I have to add some OAT to my Pro Wraith to get a 400' hyzer-flip.

I will just say "You are throwing Destroyers at 320'?!?"

and leave it at that.

Oh, wait. How about "How are your putters and mids flying for you?" They tend to tell a story better than one of the fastest discs on the market.

EDIT: For some reason I didnt see beyone page 1, but still. Get yourself a Comet and learn to throw it far. It will help.

Last edited:
I have been playing almost 2 months now, so i am not going to give any advice one what to do, but i did have a thought!!
I throw my destroyer over 500 starting it with just a tiny bit of hyzer...do you think maybe your disc is wore out or flawed or maybe you left it in the trunk or something when it was really hot and somehow that messed up the shape of it? have you tried a friends destroyer?

i dont even know if it is possible for me to throw my destroyer 320 and have it flip over...it would be extremely hard. sounds like you are putting A LOT of spin on the disc but not much arm speed some how.

oh and dont get a katana because they flip over much easier than a destroyer.
boss champ plastic!

Disc Dog,

I think the challenge that this presents to most of us is that we only have written information to go on. The facts, as I understand them are:

320 average distance
350 max, on a good shot
Destroyers and Wraiths in good condition in normal weights
Problems with turning them over

The natural response to this would be OAT issues. You may also be pulling too hard at the early part of the throw, loosing speed and acceleration at the hit, which would give low distances. Maybe you're pulling high and over too far, creating a wierd release angle.

Typically, these discs are very stable at low distances, with some high speed turn at 400+. At 350, I could barely get a Wraith to fly flat and straight, meaning I wasn't getting the disc up to crusing speed.

To further help us, could you give some more information about how far you throw your mids and do you have turnover problems with them? Getting a feel for your distances at each class of disc (putters, mid-ranges, fairways, distance drivers) will help us see where the limitations are.

The canned response for your situation would be to work with putters and mids to help clean up release issues and cut back your drivers to something in the speed 6 or 7 range (Teebirds, Eagles, Gazelles, Cyclones, etc) something stable but no overstable and see how they perform.

If you are throwing your mids 300 ft but aren't seeing much more distance going to fast drivers, that could mean something else.

I just want to say :hfive: to everyone that's contributed to this thread, this is some funny ****. The ignorance from OP and the persistence of you all to help one so blindly ignorant is beyond even my patience. Good thing I wasn't on last night when this was posted, I knew instantly by reading the topic what the problem was. But, this is too funny... I just want to see more, continue! :popcorn:
Adam_Valk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachtz View Post
I have been playing almost 2 months now,
I throw my destroyer over 500 starting it with just a tiny bit of hyzer
Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Btw, this never gets old! :thmbup:

Look it is simple.

I know the difference between OAT and turning a disc over.

why dont you explain the difference to the class, so were all on the same page?:\

I have been playing almost 2 months now, so i am not going to give any advice one what to do, but i did have a thought!!
I throw my destroyer over 500 starting it with just a tiny bit of hyzer...do you think maybe your disc is wore out or flawed or maybe you left it in the trunk or something when it was really hot and somehow that messed up the shape of it? have you tried a friends destroyer?

i dont even know if it is possible for me to throw my destroyer 320 and have it flip over...it would be extremely hard. sounds like you are putting A LOT of spin on the disc but not much arm speed some how.

youre a freak of nature. stop giving bad advice.:p

Discy, you have to get your form worked out. it aint the arrow, its the archer. 2 things could be happening: youre serving up large portions of OATmeal or youre putting anny on it on release.

learn how to throw a putter 320 and then take up the destroyer again.:p

Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to say :hfive: to everyone that's contributed to this thread, this is some funny ****. The ignorance from OP and the persistence of you all to help one so blindly ignorant is beyond even my patience. Good thing I wasn't on last night when this was posted, I knew instantly by reading the topic what the problem was. But, this is too funny... I just want to see more, continue! :popcorn:

Btw, this never gets old! :thmbup:

This guy has been verified that he can throw these distances, just so you know. He is probably getting used to the jabs about it by now though.

Disc Dog,

I recently (last week) had the same thing happen although i was throwing my normal fairway drivers. It just started out of nowhere. Everything was turning over. I figured out that i was trying to hard and forgot form. I was more worried about watching my disc fly than concentrating on technique. In so doing, everything about my form was slightly amiss and creating a pinch of OAT so hard to detect. Everything was turning over. I went out to the field Sunday and started from scratch again with mid ranges. After 4 hours I had everything back and better than ever. I was reaching 320ft with my teebirds, a new achievement for me.

OH, lol! I know he can. I seen all the threads and was supposedly "on his nuts" for sticking up for him after he posted video's and people still denied he could do it. Lol. That's why I'm saying it doesn't get old. :p