• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] In defense of Innova...

when was the last time innova put out a good instructional vid, other the an adverstment. anyone??
i guess you could say the discmania deep in the game series is a partial innova project, but not really??

actually this is one point that i like about innova...they did two videos.

disc golf monthly 94 and 95 are amazing.....

this was very helpful and keeps me from posting pictures of my non xout blizzard zephyr.......oh hell i'll do it anyhow if someone asks.

actually this is one point that i like about innova...they did two videos.

disc golf monthly 94 and 95 are amazing.....

this was very helpful and keeps me from posting pictures of my non xout blizzard zephyr.......oh hell i'll do it anyhow if someone asks.

DO it

In my opinion there are two companies in disc golf that are still legitimately innovating... Innova and MVP. Innova's blizzard plastic is a massive step forward for the sport. Kinda crazy that so many people act like they're just sitting on their butts doing nothing but raking in cash...

What's wrong with complaining when a company is inconsistent? I wanted to give a DX Valk a shot and the one I ended up with was a terrible disc-so flippy it's completely unmanageable for anything but a long anhyzer or rollers. That's not what a Valk is supposed to be. I have a Star Sidewinder that is about a year old and still takes over 325' of power to get a tight turn out of it. I like the disc, but that doesn't match up with their ratings system.

But I actually like the more stable Sidewinder and I love my Pro Leopard and my DX and star TBs. I wish their ratings system was more accurate sometimes, but that ratings system really helped me learn about disc flight. It has also become pretty standard, and that's a good thing. It's way better than Discraft's. It may be a marketing tool, but it's a helpful way of getting into the flight patterns of discs.

So Innova's inconsistencies can be annoying-it sucks when you get burned on a disc and I won't be checking out the Valk any time soon because I have my eye on other things so that's too bad for them really.

Then again, have any of you tried contacting Innova's customer service. I have and found it to be excellent. I called them, somebody knowledgeable and pleasant picked up, and they handled my problem very quickly.

There are positives and negatives to these companies and they should be pointed out. I'm glad there are so many disc makers these days. More companies equals more discs and more innovation.

I have nothing against Innova, especially when considering their contribution to the sport. They are trying to be innovative and that, to me, is a positive thing. I like to think that Innova is like a treasure chest or a raffle; you can find some amazing products as long as you look hard enough and do a little research. Even discs you cannot buy anymore, whether it is an old mold of a current disc or is just completely gone, are not too hard to find. In my bag, my Innova discs are fairly personal because of the fact they are a little inconstant.
That being said, I love my MVP discs and my Millennium discs. They are just what I wanted but that is all personal. Bash if you like, defend if you want, but I am happy just finding discs I like to throw.

IMO, Preds throw similar to Firebirds. Off topic, but when I said an RG is a Strat on roids, I was referring to the tone. Try playing some Animals as Leaders on a stock Fender Strat and let me know how that works out. That being said, I myself am in the midst of making the switch to a Les Paul. BEEFY TONE!

Dude I could try playing Animals As Leaders on a box with rubber bands and a sound hole on it and the result would be the same: Frustration and swearing off guitars for a month. Tone would be the furthest thing from my mind. I get your point though.

Back on topic: I really was intrigued by your Predator comment because I've been leaning more and more to Discraft (except for putters) and had no clue what disc of theirs I could sidearm or tomahawk. Right now I throw a Firebird exclusively for right turning long(er) shots. Being one of the only Innova discs left that I can't shuffle out of my bag for a better disc by someone else, I'm interested in what i can use. Also, what's your take on the Leopard? It turns right for me when I throw it RHBH to the point where a terrible, overstable looking release will straighten out and fly anyway. I know the Sidewinder is supposed to do this too, but it doesn't. Not for me at least. So what disc would you compare to those (supposed) flight paths?

In my limited experience, I have actually found Innova discs to be more consistent for me than Discraft. My Nuke is so understable (yes, since I first bought it) that a friend of mine who has a bag full of Nukes doesn't want it. I've bought a half dozen Surges, but none has been quite able to do for me what my first one did. On the other hand, every Valkyrie I've owned has been just what I expected, and so has every DX Roc.

I suspect a lot of the complaints about Innova discs are coming from people who don't know that Champion plastic performs very differently from DX plastic. Innova shares this information on their website, but I don't think everyone appreciates how significant the difference is. The greater understability of DX plastic is made even more obvious as the disc wears with use, since DX is so much softer and less durable than Champion plastic. This is actually why I only buy DX Rocs, and have no real interest in throwing Champion Rocs.

And to those who complain about the low quality of DX, compare its quality against Discraft's Pro-D plastic, or Innova DX plastic from the 90's, and the current DX will win the contest.

And others have said it, but it bears repeating: Innova deserves praise for continuing to be an industry leader in Innovation.

I dont mind them I think there great disc golfing company I am alright with them. I loved the Katana but as I am switching to discraft i sure do love there consistency. I will probably always like them because they were my first disc brand I had.

I used to toss all innova but I am getting annoyed that I get used to tossing something (like a flat firebid) and you go out and start producing domey ones that suck. I remember people saying how consistent Discraft was with their plastic but they have also been getting more and more inconsistent here recently. I just don't understand why they can't make the same stuff over and over again, its has to be due to quality control.

I suspect a lot of the complaints about Innova discs are coming from people who don't know that Champion plastic performs very differently from DX plastic.

I would agree with this, and throw Star in there. I gave up on a lot of discs in my early days because I bought higher end plastic and couldn't throw it worth a damn. Now I just beat it up and love it when it gets there, but the growing pains can be tough.

3) Most of the time I'm tempted to buy an Innova disc, it turns out it isn't available in the plastic I want:

a) Their most overstable mid in regular production in Champ? Spider

b) Few large diameter (above 21.2cm) discs in premium plastic in general. The only regular production Champ one is the Coyote. (MVP only has four molds, and they have two!)

I hate to further prove your point, but I thought Champion Coyotes were OOP.

well since they dont' have any more blizzard zephyrs i got this one.

black specs...okay
crazy big bubble
rim is really messed up
i paid full price for this???? most xouts aren' tthis bad.

Nikon00002666.jpg

Dude I could try playing Animals As Leaders on a box with rubber bands and a sound hole on it and the result would be the same: Frustration and swearing off guitars for a month. Tone would be the furthest thing from my mind. I get your point though.

Back on topic: I really was intrigued by your Predator comment because I've been leaning more and more to Discraft (except for putters) and had no clue what disc of theirs I could sidearm or tomahawk. Right now I throw a Firebird exclusively for right turning long(er) shots. Being one of the only Innova discs left that I can't shuffle out of my bag for a better disc by someone else, I'm interested in what i can use. Also, what's your take on the Leopard? It turns right for me when I throw it RHBH to the point where a terrible, overstable looking release will straighten out and fly anyway. I know the Sidewinder is supposed to do this too, but it doesn't. Not for me at least. So what disc would you compare to those (supposed) flight paths?
The Leopard is a disc that Discraft doesn't make anything really that similar to. Only thing close is The Impact. As far as the Sidewinder, I think the Avenger SS makes an excellent long distance hyzer flip disc.

well since they dont' have any more blizzard zephyrs i got this one.

black specs...okay
crazy big bubble
rim is really messed up
i paid full price for this???? most xouts aren' tthis bad.

Nikon00002666.jpg

so that is NOT a blizzard Zephyr???

Latest posts