• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the bag and various thoughts of a middling MA2

texasissouth

Double Eagle Member
I'm making this thread to keep track of what all goes in an out of my bag through time and maybe some addendums about tournaments so far.
I'm in Virginia, about 897 rated.
Right now my bag is set up like
Puttas
2x Mercy 175 Zero Hard - Putting putters, I putt, sometimes they go in the basket, it's a work in progress.

Polecat! Champion 175 - My upshots are terrible, but since bagging this, they've become less so. Requires so little effort to throw 0-100 feet, easy to try dumb runs at the basket, never skips, it's wonderful.

Breaker D line 175 - super beat up, one of my favorite purchases and throwers. It doesn't go super far but the angle you release it on is the angle it travels on. Annys without diving, hyzers great, straight shots are a breeze. Doesn't have much fade and generally sits.

Breaker SP 175 - like above but fights out of an anny and fades at the end. Way less glide too. I don't use it very much but an overstable putter is a must for anyone.

The Mids
4-5 M2's, all around 180
My only midranges. I have
200 plastic - Looks like absolute trash, it's beat as hell and the rim is all warped and you have to be careful where you grip it. It flies like magic though, fantastic hyzerflips, giant turnovers, slow turning bombs that don't fade. Can sooorta hyzer but there are better options. 200 plastic is nice an velvety, and it went to understable quick but hasn't changed much since then

400 OG m2, pretty beat, it's nearing on 2 years. It held a nice buzz level stability for a while but it's starting to go past that. It's a fickle mistress and can be a little inconsistent. If I throw purposeful hyzer shots it will hold the whole way, but throwing flat gives a bit too much turn. It can do turnovers but always wants to fight out of it as it slows down.

750 when I need a straight to fade rip this is my go to. Fades way more than the OG 400 and is way more trustworthy in wind

400G proto M2, the most overstable, break in case of emergency, doesn't go as far, zero turn, always fades.

400 fresh m2, trying to work it into that slight beat bomber the OG used to be. Its a fresh M2, not too much to say.

The Fairways
I was trying to do a nice simple F2 cycle here, but I've been thwarted by two things.
1. F2s are coming out flippier now :thmbdown:
2. I threw my workhorse into some leaves and it disappeared :thmbdown:

Right now I'm bagging (around 175g)
750 175grams - flippy, does turnovers, hyzerflips. That sort of stuff

400G 175grams - New but has some right wiggle when ripped. Was hoping for like a fresh teebird flight but damn. It will probably be my new workhorse at least

400G 173gram traitor - Brand new, uselessly flippy. I like to really rip on my fairways and I don't like when in the middle of my tournament my new one that should be overstable flips up on a hyzer line and flies a mile to the right of the basket. Don't have the first throw with a disc be in a tournament kids. I can do big turnovers with this and also some trashfire rollers. Dunno if I'll keep it in the bag.

So heartbroken by this F2 situation I gathered myself and picked up an
F1 - 400 - 175.
This is what I wanted, hopefully f1's won't betray me like their brothers did. Straight to fade goodness, goes far, big fan.

Then I also always carry 2
TRIDENTS
("Finally!" you say, "Enough with the numbers, I hate math.")
when I need a big happy fade at the end or am throwing sidearms, tridents will always be there for me. I have 6, they all throw about the same, super super straight then a really long fade. I swap them in/out of the bag depending on mood, a couple go a little longer. They're all wonderful. I lost my favorite one in thorn hell - Giles Run and am hoping it gives me a call and comes home.

"control" drivers
I'm torn here between starfires and wraiths. Right now I'm bagging

Starfire star 175 - super flat Jenkins one, it's a longer teebird ;) I have a PD, I tried it, I don't like the rim as much and this is easier to forehand. I have a backup that flies the exact same so they take turns being lost.

Starfire (Champ/Star) Here's a recent theme, I order something stable and receive less stable versions???? Ordered new starfires, they're two ones that have MASSIVE pop tops and some out of the box turn. They absolutely bomb, and they have a place in my bag, but not what I was expecting.

Sometimes I will swap starfires and wraiths because I can sidearm wraiths farther. However with my pop top starfires I will probably swap between wraiths and

Max D boys

X2s - Big fade, always come back. One even does immediately out of your hand, but that's the problem child. I have a couple 400 and one "special" 750G that feels sweet. Sadly my farthest flying one met a similar fate as my f2 in a pile of leaves :wall: I spent today throwing a backup into a pile of wood to try and get it to the same spot with no luck.

I had D2's but the rim was just too big for my hands. Like that dude from the old Burger King commercials. X2's are just a tick smaller and a little flatter. They dGAF about wind since they're thinner and they just go and then fade hard. Sometimes they skip too much, but that's just life. Probably gonna bag a wraith until one of the X2's gets to a big spot then I'll bag
1 meathook one (this one came out weird, it's a freak) 169
1 stableish one 167
1 little turn one 173
1 workhorse 168

Anyway that's about it. Don't trust new F2s

Last edited:
Anyway that's about it. Don't trust prodigy

ftfy

its not just the f2 if you recall from the beginning they had d1 that flipped more than the d4 and d4 that were more os than the h1

and one more example they had a mid marked m2 (or whatever i dont remember the specifics but it was one of their mids) and actually recalled them to switch the numbers cuz the newer mold they pumped out was more os

I mean all manufacturers outside of early MVP stuff (and maybe Discraft?) have consistency issues run to run, look at how people seek out and pay $140 for a 2015 sexton firebird because of the difference in how it flies vs other ones.
Or people paying $50 for AJ destroyers because the first run of McBeth ones came out ridiculously beefy and no one could throw them.
Or these two new starfires I got that have a huge stability diff. I've had good luck with all my M2s flying the same out of the box.

I had 2 D2s that flew identical, my first 3 F2's flew the same, I've got 5 X2s that all fly the same new, pretty good so far.

**** happens run to run with weather and pressure and plastic, no one can eat the production time lost keeping discs in molds until they're cool. I love how 400 plastic feels and Prodigy does a lot to support the scene in my local area with sponsoring both local mens and womens pros as well as course designers like Biscoe.

First tourney of the year is coming up this weekend, the final Lord of the Thorns in sticky Giles Run VA. I've been trying to beat in an X2 to match the one I lost. I did the hot water trick to give it a dome and it got ridiculously overstable, then I flattened it and it's getting close. I'll probably throw a wraith in the bag for flex shots for this tournament though, or maybe just bag wraiths for this one. Gotta do some field work and sus it out.

Visited SF and took an abbreviated bag with me for Golden Gate.
Mercy, beat up m2, fresh m2, flippy f2, f1. It was a short woods course so I really leaned on that beat m2 for a lot of hyzer flips and soft turnovers.
Almost had to leave f1 behind when I lost it, but someone was kind enough to call me and return it while I was still in SF. Shout out to Wolf in GGP!

Hurt my wrist hiking in Yosemite but it doesn't seem to be aggravated by throwing so that's the good news for this weekend.

First tourny of the year. Shot a 899 and 920 so I'm pretty happy with that.
Extra thanks to that guy for returning that F1, I leaned on it this weekend and picked up two birdies with it on parked drives in the wind. I'm sure it slightly overlaps with my trident but it's a little more high speed stable and a little less fade.

I really need to work on height control for mids after practicing with drivers. Threw too many mids right into the ground.

Another tourny, shot 897, can't complain.
After some field work I'm definitely bagging one of my domey bottom stamp wraiths for long courses. They go farther than anything else I have. I think 11 speed is the widest I can go, nothing bigger will rip out of my hand as well and the speed difference is just diminishing returns. the X2 seems just a little too thin to get that same pop. Still gonna bag them for big hyzer shots and headwinds.

Anyone have experience with Discmania DD's? I've heard them described as stable wraiths before.

I mean all manufacturers outside of early MVP stuff (and maybe Discraft?) have consistency issues run to run, look at how people seek out and pay $140 for a 2015 sexton firebird because of the difference in how it flies vs other ones.
Or people paying $50 for AJ destroyers because the first run of McBeth ones came out ridiculously beefy and no one could throw them.
Or these two new starfires I got that have a huge stability diff. I've had good luck with all my M2s flying the same out of the box.

I had 2 D2s that flew identical, my first 3 F2's flew the same, I've got 5 X2s that all fly the same new, pretty good so far.

**** happens run to run with weather and pressure and plastic, no one can eat the production time lost keeping discs in molds until they're cool. I love how 400 plastic feels and Prodigy does a lot to support the scene in my local area with sponsoring both local mens and womens pros as well as course designers like Biscoe.

Discraft has had Consitansy issues, more in plastic then in Disc flight. The Z plastic can be slick or it can be normal with a tad bit of grip. They used to call Z and X Elite in front and some discs in ESP and X have dome issues, one disc is domed another is not, both bought at same time. With disc flight a Discraft disc will fly the same as another if the plastic feels like the same plastic, Dome often just tells you if a certain disc is going to have a bit more glide then another and glide if big dome or little dome has more glide in a disc depends on the mold though sometimes the weight has an effect too.

I don't throw as much discraft as I should just because I really dislike the feel of Z plastic.

Ordered some used DDs to try and a stego. Wraiths just feel too good in the hand and look too good flying to not make them the max distance driver. I'm gonna slip in one DD as a hyzer or wind disc and take the X2s out, which is a shame, I really wanted to like them. Main driver for around 400' is still gonna have to be the Starfire, the VJ 4x runs are absolutely phenomenal.

Seneca Creek Soiree this weekend, gonna get stomped, bag for it is as follows

2x * Wraith
1x * DD
4x Starfire
1x Fireball (utility beef)
2x Trident
2x F2
1x F1
3-4x M2
2x Breaker
1x Polecat
possibly the stego
and still putting with Mercys

The Soiree was great, bagged two wraiths and switched out stabilities the second day as the wind was cranking and one DD for drivers.
leaned on my two F2's a lot off the tee, specifically my 750 F2 for a lot of shots.
Fireball got used once for a forehand roller and it ended up great. Breakers were thrown a lot on almost any shot less than 300 feet.
Also on the second day I took out the polecat because I was never gonna throw it in the wind and tossed a Stego in there which I used a couple times.
round ratings wise I shot a
67 - 878
66 - 922
110 - 911
Took me a round to get my putting going and the last round was 27 holes. Pretty happy with how I played, leaned a lot on wraith/DD flicks, and fairways.

The Stego was also a huge hit with people after the tourny tossing it around and marveling at how overstable it was.

Small bag for practice throwing at local Spilman Park
1 S DD trying to beat this thing in, practice forehand hyzers. Also tried a spike hyzer with it and went over a road OB, oops.

1 750 F2 a little flippy
2 400G F2 one is my go to, eagle-ish fairway, one started out freaky flippy so I've decided to try and beat it into a roller disc
1 retro trident how does a beat up trident fly? I want to find out

1 750 M2 overstable mid
1 400 M2 straighter, my oldest M2 super trusty
1 200 M2 hyzerflip to turnover

I need to grab a new base plastic M2, maybe 300 this time. The 200 one is getting too beat up and won't do a nice hyzerflip laser anymore, just drifts a bit too much post flip.

1 Proline breaker. Trying to break this baby into the low fade throwing putter my other breaker was. Not really getting there in a hurry though.

1 D line breaker. This thing has gotten to a weird level of beat in. It really does not like popping up on a hyzer at all. It will hold a hyzer all the way to the ground if you want. However if you throw it flat it will turn all the way over pretty much. I throw this thing a lot, and D line is kind of like crayons so it's changing fast on me, might need to cycle in my new D line one to hit that sweet spot and give the proline one more time to beat in.

Anyway I guess I'm interested in a 7-8/10 300 M2 or a 6/10 Proline breaker right now?
Just picked up a used MF wraith off a for sale thread to sate my curiosity.

My 200 plastic M2 I chucked into a T post on accident and is now quite understable. I need a new M2 to beat into the hyzerflip to laser spot, and sadly my 2 year old 400 M2 just isn't there yet.

I just got two X out 300 plastic M2s i am quite eager to throw. I'm hoping they warp just a little less and stay in the sweet spot for longer than the 200 plastic M2 did

MDX5 this past weekend, favorite tournament probably, if any of you are in the northern Maryland/Penn area I recommend it, great players pack (hat, shirt, koozie, shryke, makani, birdie bag, stickers, great lunches) and some super challenging courses (Ditto Farms and Whispering Falls)
drivers are pretty well set up now; in order of most -> least stable I bagged and threw basically all of these over the weekend.
C DD (beeeffff)
S DD (I'm starting to get a teensy bit of turn in a headwind)
MF wraith
puddle top kenny wraith
flat bottom stamp wraith
then two domey bottom stamp bombers, one is just a tick more stable.

on the second day I threw a lot of my trusty star starfire. I still love that disc for the PD/Thundy slot, actually chained out on a 345' hole. Close to my first ace ever.

the 300 M2 is much more durable than the 200 M2. Ditto farms I played a lot of short shots for placement with mids since the fairways are so tight, and I basically only threw those two. Beat one for hyzerflips and turns and fresh one for straight to fade.

my super beat breaker was nice for putter turnovers and grabbed me a few birdies on shorter holes.

Still love mercys for putting but they can be tricky in the wind, they rely so much on glide...

Stego actually got quite a bit of work the second day, it's nice to be able to throw an approach pretty hard and have it go 50 feet. I find it easier to hit lines throwing at like 40% power than 10% power sometimes.

I dug out an old PA4 I had sitting around to throw alongside the polecat. The PA4 definitely has a more pronounced fade, but they're both about the same amount of glide, I might try the PA4 out for a couple rounds, see if it can be thrown in the wind. I like the 'cat, but any wind and I can't trust it. Plus with the PA4 having both turn and fade it's kind of weird and could be used for some interesting short lines I think.

Packed shift for a solo round at Signal View today. First time playing the course, loved the course, needed more bugspray for the ridiculous mosquitoes. Shot a 64 but left a lot of strokes on the table.
C DD
S DD
Star Wraith
Star Starfire
Gold Burst Trident
3x F2
3x M2
2x Breaker
Pa4
2x Mercy

My flippy F2 is finally flippy enough for backhand rollers so I tossed a couple second shots with it, worked out pretty well.
Pa4 getting some use, I definitely like how floaty it is, while being much more comfortable in the hand than the Polecat.

Got a MD4 out of a shared discmania mystery box I went in on with friends. It's going straight into the bag. The M2 I normally throw will still be my go to, but the MD4 feels great and I'll use it for windy days, as I don't like throwing the M2 in a headwind.

I got a replacement for my Fossa bag I usually use, a Voodoo on sale. I'd had the Fossa bag for about a year, maybe a little over and was never really enamored with it. It's not terribly comfortable and over time the left strap cushion has gotten balled up (where I usually pick it up by and if I only put on one strap it's the left one).

Voodoo is much larger, and taller and seems like it sits in a more comfortable place, the quality seems a little higher than the Fossa bag and it has better feet. The padding on the straps seems thicker and more sewn in place. Overall my initial impressions are super optimistic for it.

18 at Giles Run Sho Lo
Shot a 63 including a 5 ft layup to troll a friend and still beat him by 2.
2X wraith
1X DD
1X Starfire
1X Trident
2X F2
3X M2
2X Breaker
2X Mercy

I took an abbreviated bag because I was expecting to play bluemont really. I missed the float of the PA4 on a couple upshots for sure. I'm trying to switch from a weird grip to a normal fan grip for putting and I'm going through some growing pains with it.

Latest posts