• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsistent release angles

Let's add an entry to the learning diary. I feel I am right next to a big breakthrough regarding the weight shift and bracing. I write this that it reminds me later and might help somebody reading this thread.

I think the form learning process goes so that you have a some sort of mental image about how the form should look and feel. A right-looking form is quite easy distinguish, everybody even without knowing the sport can easily say who has better form, Eagle or me. But breaking that into smaller components and further knowing how it should feel is obviously a way harder task. And even harder is to hammer that mental image and feeling into the practice and throw far with a good form. (The hardest thing is probably conceptualizing all this and teaching it around the internet.)

Developing the mental image and feeling and the actual throwing form is an incremental process. You think you know how something should feel and try it out on the field. You watch videos and get corrected and both the mental and actual throw take a step further. This process might also force you to step back occasionally and forget and relearn other things.

One thing holding me back I think is a mistake in thinking unconsciously that by adapting one or two right form elements cause me throw further immediately in field sessions. I have developed a standstill form, where instead of bracing onto the front leg, I sort of spin around or over it. And, well, in relation to anything I did before that, it has been relatively good. Not good in absolute terms, but farther and more accurate than what I have been able to perform earlier. So, anything I did, like throwing a hammer, ewalking and so on helped me to understand the weight shift, but eventually I wanted to throw far in each session, so I continued with my bad habits and were able to throw maybe 30' further than with a form having some right elements on it but which otherwise is very inadequate.

But now I have a feeling that I might be able to push myself beyond that threshold. All this is only talk as far as I have not accomplished anything with a disc in my hand, but this feels very promising and also inspiring. This video has been particularly helpful.

I have been now messing around with varying degrees of stagger in standstill throws and also ditched the small plant step for a while now. Here are two videos from today's session, one with very big stagger and another with moderate. The foot pivot and followthrough leave a lot to improve, but I focused more on the weight shift.

Last edited:
Looking much better! Extreme stagger better than moderate, I think you should more between those two. The extreme has your feet too much inline perpendicular and not able to shift horizontally at all.

First pic - note how your butt is closer to target, so you didn't really make any horizontal or diagonal move away from target, you just moved left-right across tee. Also note how your head/shoulder get further behind your rear knee/toes while I'm staying more inside the foot/knee.

Second pic - note how you are more on both heels especially rear heel, and your rear knee almost straightens inline with ankle and hip, so you lose hip depth from the knee and that runners stance leverage, and your rear shoulder never gets deeper behind the knee or hip(might be ok for soft hyzer).

Third pic - note your left arm dragging behind and your body leaks over front knee. Need to get your rear arm in front of your rear shoulder/hip putting more pressure into front foot/ground to push you back more.

FgjotT2.png

Still working with the big stagger standstill. I have managed to get it better, but some things certainly require work yet.

Meanwhile, once scrutinizing the video once again, I became a bit confused about the role of the rear leg. How much do you have weight/pressure on the rear foot at this point? In slowmo, it looks like the rear leg is pushing quite hard and causing the front foot pivot and the followthrough where you spin 180 on your front foot.

90iWPgc.jpg

You gonna make me get the pressure insoles out again. There's definitely some pressure, but at that point I don't feel like it's pushing very hard, just kind of completing the walk toward the left tee like elephant walk. The swing pulls the front foot into pivot, it's not really pushed into pivot by the rear foot.

So as mentioned previously, I have been working on the stagger standstill shots and the issues therein. About the second notion that my rear knee is inline with ankle - that's a thing that remains at least in the filmed shot. It's a thing that I would have to constantly concentrate on, and maybe forgot it in that throw. Also, the rear arm is not maybe as aggressive as in SW22's shot, but better than what it use to be. The side view throw is maybe a bit longer just based on how the follow-trough looks like, but it is rather clumsy.

Other than that, I feel I was able to develop quite decent rhythm for that kind of a throw, putting the discs to 200'-220' accurately. I also threw some longer throws, but they were not on film and the accuracy suffered a bit.

Long time no post, but here we are again.

The little field work I have been doing has been about that very pronounced stagger standstill throwing. Also some hammer tossing and ewalks a couple of times. My short game has at least gotten better when I have been playing a lot with that staggered stance standstill throws, but the problem I face occasionally if I try to throw too hard is the late release.

Swing the disc back inside close to center, then back out wide away from center.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 5.48.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 5.48.08 PM.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 64
Hi again. It was a very snowy winter and spring where I live and the field has been open for a week or two. This was the second field session this year and I tried to take things easily and pick off where I left them last fall.

My long time problem has been with the timing of the weight shift, basically being late on the front foot. I had somehow a very wrong mental image about how the weight transfer works but I think after some feedback last year, I have been able to push that into right direction. However, it's hard to put into physical reality. Here I am messing around with the timing and trying to find a good feel about it.

PfFeTUgFL3A

My long time problem has been with the timing of the weight shift, basically being late on the front foot. -- Here I am messing around with the timing and trying to find a good feel about it.
You can't properly shift weight if the back leg isn't involved to begin with. You're basically taking a baby side step from a 50-50 stance that doesn't really do anything to get your hips into it.

One-stepper like Ezra demonstrates here is good to get the back leg involved, and hopefully gets you closer to understanding weight shift.

Looking better!

Bend the elbow and swing forward more over top the foot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 11.20.08 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 11.20.08 PM copy.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 78
You can't properly shift weight if the back leg isn't involved to begin with. You're basically taking a baby side step from a 50-50 stance that doesn't really do anything to get your hips into it.
He shifts 100% back and forth, actually a little bit back too far behind the rear foot and not quite enough forward.

Ball golfers don't usually take a step but still get their hips into it.

vBPx9Nk.png

He shifts 100% back and forth, actually a little bit back too far behind the rear foot and not quite enough forward.

Ball golfers don't usually take a step but still get their hips into it.
You're right, I stand corrected. I think I also quoted the wrong clip so that's on me, it doesn't translate as well when he's throwing discs in the last one.

You're right, I stand corrected. I think I also quoted the wrong clip so that's on me, it doesn't translate as well when he's throwing discs in the last one.

I appreciate the pointer. The difference in the last clip is that the stance is wider and less staggered. The problem I have had (I think) is that I indeed shifted the weight between the legs, but completely in a wrong sequence. If you check my videos in the beginning of this thread, you can see I am moving my weight backwards alongside the backswing and then towards with the throwing motion. I am still partially trying to unlearn that and the right kind of weightshift is easier to do with a big stagger (like in the second clip).

Did a couple of session with focus on bending the elbow. There are two clips. Unfortunately the tripod was in a bad shape and I did not realize the tilted angle. Hopefully, the form can be reviewed nonetheless.

Those shots were visibly easy and went like 200-250ft. Just activating and bending the elbow was not as easy as it sounds, it made me somehow more tight than just letting the arm hang like a rope.

Hmm... Just comparing to the previous set of videos, it does not really look any better.

Did a couple of session with focus on bending the elbow. There are two clips. Unfortunately the tripod was in a bad shape and I did not realize the tilted angle. Hopefully, the form can be reviewed nonetheless.

Those shots were visibly easy and went like 200-250ft. Just activating and bending the elbow was not as easy as it sounds, it made me somehow more tight than just letting the arm hang like a rope.

Arm looks a little better. It may keep improving as you get better bracing and leg action.

You appear to sink into the back leg and then rise into the throw. Allow the weight of your arm in the backswing to keep your weight relatively high and the rear leg stiffer. It should feel like a spring compressing. Then let your weight drop more down and forward into the plant leg.

This seems to have gotten worse. Your rear hip should rise higher than front hip in the backswing, so it's posted up on rear hip. I'd turn the rear foot about 45 degrees further back to allow the rear knee to face the camera so the rear hip wipes targetward "from behind".
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.19.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.19.49 AM.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts