• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Index finger placement while putting

spinachd

Eagle Member
Seems to me neither of the best two putters in the world (Wysocki and McBeth) have thier index finger under the rim of the disc. It's my feeling that this helps reduce right side misses. What other pros keep the index finger on the outside?

Has any of you switched from an index finger under the rim to keeping it outside?

I've always kept my index finger on the outside. It just seems natural and more controllable.

If "under the rim" means that they curl up their index finger over the edge of the rim then that is exactly what they don't do. They rest it on the side/outside of the rim.

This is Paul's grip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-01-06-37-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-01-06-37-06.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 161
I used a fork grip for a couple years, but I actually moved my index finger out onto the rim to prevent right side misses. It seems to keep my wrist from rolling and helps me line up better.

I use a fan grip underneath with my index finger out on the rim, feel like I get better control that way.

This is Paul's grip.

This is the same grip I use.

I don't know offhand of any top putters who keep their fingers on the outside of the rim, that doesn't mean they don't exist tho.

I like to have my index on the rim because that gives me a natural release point. The Index finger is the last spot the disc touches before it leaves my hand. With the index on the outside of the rim I'm not really sure where the disc is supposed to come out. Does it spring off your pointer finger on the flight plate or what?

I'm pretty new to the game and have been trying out different putting styles (push/spin/spush etc) and with that, trying different grips. I tried real hard to tuck the first "digit" under the bead like Feldberg preaches in his clinics. I was getting right side misses so it's interesting to see that maybe this could be causing it. The last couple days I've been trying something more like Paul's grip with the finger on the outside of the rim. It's hard to argue with his results, I'll have to see how it works out for me in the long run. Can't Putt for Sh!t right now haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've putted with both grips.
Started out with a fork-style grip push putt and was considered better-than-average. I began to realize that I needed to change my putt to a spin putt to get better, easier distance. I was great inside 25', but hopeless outside 25'. I tried a step-putt for a while and it helped with longer putts.
Switched to a PM style grip and slow-spin style. Very awkward at first, but I began to notice that I was hitting putts from longer and longer distances. The style really lends itself to easy distance putting with control. Have you ever noticed how easy it looks for PM to putt from 50'?

Latest posts