• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting grip - Index finger

Something off-topic, but what helped me make way more putts was to stop aiming. Sure I'm looking at the basket, but I'm not focusing on aiming. I guess I just let the subconscious take over.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hey, this was incredibly helpful. It also improved my overall grip a bit.

Left-right spray is even further down. I can now throw them pretty confidently from further away and am drawing more metal and sinking more. Sticking with it, thank you!!

Love to hear it. I was shocked at how well it worked immediately.

Something off-topic, but what helped me make way more putts was to stop aiming. Sure I'm looking at the basket, but I'm not focusing on aiming. I guess I just let the subconscious take over.

I find focus is a really important part of my putt so it always blows my mind when I hear people putt like this, but I know it often works well for those people.

Love to hear it. I was shocked at how well it worked immediately.

I find focus is a really important part of my putt so it always blows my mind when I hear people putt like this, but I know it often works well for those people.
The more I focus, concentrate on my technique, and stare down a single chain link as my target, the better I putt. Noises, others talking, movement nearby as I prepare to putt - can ruin my concentration, and really mess with my putting. Same for my driving. Sometimes so bad I actually jerk my head to look at noise right in the middle of my putt or throw, and totally botch my attempt. I definitely got to get better at blocking out sounds - keeping my focus on my technique.

What do all of you do with your index finger putting?

For a while now, I have been using what I think is called a modified fan-grip for most shots that are not max distance, including putting. My grip is the same for a 10 footer as it is for a 150' upshot.

I feel like it works for me, but I also know that almost no pros that I see putt with the index finger actually under the rim. I feel like this generates super easy power, and I just cant convince myself not to do it.

Sometimes though, I get frustrated and start putting with the index finger outside, and placebo myself into thinking that this makes releasing cleaner, etc...then I fix whatever I did wrong to get frustrated and get seemingly the same results with my preferred grip again.

What are the actual reasons people developed this non-index finger powered putting grip?
I spin putt, with what I think is a standard fan grip. My index finger goes on the outside of the rim, thumb on top, and other three fingers fan out underneath the disc. Feels natural and best to me.

For a while now, I have been using what I think is called a modified fan-grip for most shots that are not max distance, including putting. My grip is the same for a 10 footer as it is for a 150' upshot.

I do the same thing. I have interestingly found that practicing lots of fan grip approach shots and just working on that particular shot and getting it dialed in (it really is one of the most important and overlooked shots in DG) has improved my putting in terms of pop and velocity/power on it. I suspect that all the fan grip approach practicing strengthened my grip/fingers and all muscles/tendons associated with that grip and it translated right into putting because it was the exact same grip.

I wrap my index finger right over the rim of the disc, it is short enough that it doesn't touch the flight plate.

I don't aim either, not on a chain or anything. The whole thing is totally subconscious and feel. The one thing I try and pay attention to is to not rush and make sure my feet and stance are in a solid place, then I look up at the basket, take a practice swing/pump and then fire away.

I do the same thing. I have interestingly found that practicing lots of fan grip approach shots and just working on that particular shot and getting it dialed in (it really is one of the most important and overlooked shots in DG) has improved my putting in terms of pop and velocity/power on it. I suspect that all the fan grip approach practicing strengthened my grip/fingers and all muscles/tendons associated with that grip and it translated right into putting because it was the exact same grip.

I wrap my index finger right over the rim of the disc, it is short enough that it doesn't touch the flight plate.
Same. I use the fan grip on putters out to about 100', give or take. But, I totally suck trying to throw putters or mids with a power grip, so after that distance, I go to fairway drivers and take a little off as needed. Maybe as I improve my form/technique, I will be able to power grip mids and putters - IDK. I have pretty small hands, and for now, they don't even feel good in my hands with a power grip.

Think about the pivot point as the thumb and middle finger squeeze. It's on the flight plate not the rim. This is how Paul taught his putt at a clinic and it immediately improved my putt. You can squeeze pretty hard with confidence and not get the spraying you get when thinking about the index finger as the pivot.
I use this grip as a throwing grip for the consistency of release angle you get from the platform you provide under the flight plate along with the way it adds to the number of shapes I can throw with a given disc. Recognizing this about the pivot is crucial to using the grip for throwing as well.

I use this grip as a throwing grip for the consistency of release angle you get from the platform you provide under the flight plate along with the way it adds to the number of shapes I can throw with a given disc. Recognizing this about the pivot is crucial to using the grip for throwing as well.
I will have to try to remember to give it a try…. But, my current form, though not conventional at all, I am pretty happy with my progress. I guess my fan grip is probably my most conventional thing. My stance, I stand like a stand still drive, pretty much perpendicular to the basket, and do a fairly hard/aggressive spin putt. For an idea, and yes this is throwing ten in a row, starting at 10' and working back 5' each time, with my discs sitting in a box on a stool next to me (some call it cheating - I call it getting reps, building muscle memory, and tracking progress), here are my numbers today (and yesterday I think I did even slightly better, but I wasn't writing it down): 10' - 10/10. 15' - 9/10. 20' - 10/10. 25' - 4/10. 30' - 4/10. 35' - 3/10. 40' - 3/10. 45' - 1/10. 50' - 0/10, 1/10, 1/10 (was unhappy with the 0 - tried 50' three times). Still unhappy with it today, because yesterday I had about 3/10, 4/10, 0/10, 1/10 from 50'. Today, had about 3 that hit top band or skipped off side of chains - close but still misses. For reference, I have been working 20' a lot lately - I was averaging about 7/10 a month ago. Now getting 8 or 9 most times, but today was a freak good thing, 10/10. 20' is feeling closer than it ever has - feeling like 15' used to feel - progress! Yesterday, I think 20' was 8/10, but I had more makes at 25', 30', 35', 45', and 50'. Yesterday my putting felt amazing - like I made a leap forward after a month of very slow progress. Good that today at least partially kept the progress - it was not a total fluke. For comparison, today is 9/7/2023, my first time keeping track was 7/12/2023, and then my makes out of ten, from 10' out to 50', were: 10/7/4/4/1/2/1/1/1. At that time, from 30' out to 50', I pretty much averaged 1/10, with results almost all 0, 1, or 2. Looks like I need to continue to cement my 20' work/progress, but also start extra work at 25' and 30' - try to get both of them over 50%! That would be great progress, and a goal set early on that I didn't know would I even be able to obtain it or not, much less so quickly - over 50% out to 30'! 😊. Also, probably goes without saying, but as I progress, there are periods where my numbers seem to improve very little, but I can tell that my misses get smaller - fewer air balls, more close misses - so even when the numbers don't show it, progress is happening, and eventually will turn into more makes. Then, realizing I need a little more concentration, making sure I do all of the little things, and in one session the terribly slow progress turns into a leap forward.

Technique: I covered my unorthodox stance in the previous post, mostly perpendicular to the basket. I think I covered my pretty much standard fan grip in another prior post in this thread. I start the disc near my left shoulder (RHBH), and pick a single link to aim for (as much as possible - out near 50' I can't really distinguish a single link). I try to throw a mostly straight line putt at my link. I extend my arm straight at my link, flick my wrist/fingers at the end to get spin, feel my elbow pretty much lock out straight, and end with my hand in a handshake like extension to my link. The more I focus on and do all of these things, the better I putt. Many are tips I first read here on this site - a few were trial and error, and finding what was comfortable and worked best for me. I have kind of small hands - so I like a putter that feels good in my hand - towards shallow rim. I have over 30 putters and counting - I try them all. Some days I use them all, and gradually eliminate the ones that seem to be performing poorly, to see which ones work best for me. Other days I practice with just the 5-6 that I bag on game day. I use the ten that seem to be working best for me when I record numbers (like today). I have two Soft Magnets - one of my favorites. Putters that are very close to 3/2/0/0 seem to be a sweet spot for me. That said, I also work with discs intended to help me from 50' and further out, so I have some a little faster and/or with more glide. I been using a fan grip out to about 100' with my Watt - was my furthest fan grip putter. Just got a Fierce yesterday, and so far I am loving it, and recently got a Spin that is also performing well. I will probably get another of each of them soon, bag them both on game days, practice more with them, and see how they do versus the Soft Magnets. Eventually when I have one sure favorite, I intend to get ten of it, so I can practice more heavily with just 'my' putter, get to know it better, really hone it in. But, possible I will have one for closer putts, and a different one for longer putts - maybe even Soft Magnets could end up being a third putter just for hyzer and anhyzer putts getting around trees from close in - I do love how they do that for me. Time will tell. Really hoping Fierce or Spin are ready to take the spot, all putting duties, and that Soft Magnet was just keeping the seat warm for them. They have both made an initial splash. Lol. Putting practice is so much fun! Reminds of as a kid, when I would race match box cars, and do competition after competition to see which car was the fastest - countless hours of fun on rainy days, or after dark, etc. Back when I was a kid, we spent most nice days outdoors playing with the neighbor kids. Most times we played whatever sport was in season until supper time or dark. Now so many screens! Love that disc golf has got me and my 16 year old son something to do together outside again!

Same. I use the fan grip on putters out to about 100', give or take. But, I totally suck trying to throw putters or mids with a power grip, so after that distance, I go to fairway drivers and take a little off as needed. Maybe as I improve my form/technique, I will be able to power grip mids and putters - IDK. I have pretty small hands, and for now, they don't even feel good in my hands with a power grip.
Keep at it for sure, I have small hands as well and I can rip on putters and mids all day, it's just a matter of practice. What I have found is that prefer flat mids and putters to throw, perhaps that is a hand size thing. I like the zone, it is very helpful to have a baseline one in that is beat to hell and they will go straight or even turnover depending on how beat they are. That low profile and small rim size combined with stability makes for a very pin point approach shot for me.

I also like soft plastic for my putter, just easier for me to wrap my little hands around it. I've noticed that my index finger on the power grip throwing a putter seems to be fanned out and not on the flight plate, it's more comfy that way for throwing a putter or even a mid. You might if you haven't already see if you can get ahold of a nice flat, soft putter in any plastic really and start with that and the zone or something similar for your power approach shots. Nowadays myself I am stretching that fan grip putter out way past 200 now into 250 range, and I know at the start I was spraying 100 footers at best, just takes time. My secret for that has been low power and lots of reps

So, I tried this a bit. First thing, I noticed my normal fan grip pretty much puts my middle finger under and thumb over the same spot on the flight plate. I normally focus on my wrist flick for spin, though my thumb/middle finger may create the pivot point? That said, when I tried to focus on that as a pivot point, it caused me to forget other things I needed to focus on, and I putted significantly worse. Still, I think I may be getting that pivot point you talk about by default, because of my fan grip finger positions.

So, I tried this a bit. First thing, I noticed my normal fan grip pretty much puts my middle finger under and thumb over the same spot on the flight plate. I normally focus on my wrist flick for spin, though my thumb/middle finger may create the pivot point? That said, when I tried to focus on that as a pivot point, it caused me to forget other things I needed to focus on, and I putted significantly worse. Still, I think I may be getting that pivot point you talk about by default, because of my fan grip finger positions.
Very possible. For me it's really more useful to focus on establishing the firm grip at that point, but during the throw I'm not thinking about it.

Maybe more importantly - where is your thumb? How much pressure and how does it interact with the other fingers on the bottom of the flight plate....? Does the position change for longer putts?

Maybe more importantly - where is your thumb? How much pressure and how does it interact with the other fingers on the bottom of the flight plate....? Does the position change for longer putts?
At least for now, I fan grip the same grip position for all putts, including laying up. Before playing with changing grips on putters and/or mids to add distance, I would need to do an extended practice field session, and see if I can figure out some fan grip modification. But, maybe I wait, work more on driving form, and if I can improve my form, maybe power grip on mids/putters will fix itself? Played with my son today - just got back. I was putting pretty well with my new Fierce, similar but not quite as good with my Spin, and then about 75 to 100 feet, give or take, I threw the Fierce or the Watt. I still have a little more distance with the Watt over the Fierce, and parked multiple approach shots with the Watt today. Still max drive at 225', with a rare one out to 245'. Still not good enough form to power grip putters or mids. Much over 100', I switch to a fairway driver and take a little off on the power. But, my putting and my driving, while two steps forward and one back, still inching out progress. Hoping for the breakthrough where I get snap on my drives, but not quite there yet. 😒

At least for now, I fan grip the same grip position for all putts, including laying up. Before playing with changing grips on putters and/or mids to add distance, I would need to do an extended practice field session, and see if I can figure out some fan grip modification. But, maybe I wait, work more on driving form, and if I can improve my form, maybe power grip on mids/putters will fix itself?
I would strongly suggest using a different grip for up shots vs putts, The power and spin needed are way different and need a different feel, power and touch. Your driving form and power are not related IMHO to your putting. Putting is the most important of the throws obviously and should be treated separately in all ways.

This is pretty much how I do it. First make sure my feet are lined up, take a pump or two (with a rock back and forth), and putt finishing with my fingers extended toward the chains. Since I'm mostly a push putter, my arm motion is up and down and as long as my body is lined up, I rarely miss left or right.

Once I had a ton of reps in, it was all about not getting in the way and just letting things happen.

Keep at it for sure, I have small hands as well and I can rip on putters and mids all day, it's just a matter of practice. What I have found is that prefer flat mids and putters to throw, perhaps that is a hand size thing. I like the zone, it is very helpful to have a baseline one in that is beat to hell and they will go straight or even turnover depending on how beat they are. That low profile and small rim size combined with stability makes for a very pin point approach shot for me.

I also like soft plastic for my putter, just easier for me to wrap my little hands around it. I've noticed that my index finger on the power grip throwing a putter seems to be fanned out and not on the flight plate, it's more comfy that way for throwing a putter or even a mid. You might if you haven't already see if you can get ahold of a nice flat, soft putter in any plastic really and start with that and the zone or something similar for your power approach shots. Nowadays myself I am stretching that fan grip putter out way past 200 now into 250 range, and I know at the start I was spraying 100 footers at best, just takes time. My secret for that has been low power and lots of reps
You are throwing putters 200-250', with a fan grip???! Seems like that distance on putters is normal for a power grip? I have only been playing for 4 months, so over time my putters with fan grip may get longer, but that distance seems impossible. Maybe a modified fan grip, with a finger or fingers in a power grip position on the rim? If I tried to throw even close to hard enough to throw that far with a fan grip, the disc would slip out of my grip before getting that much force on it. I only get that distance with my drivers - 225' max, are very rare up to 245' only with a light weight Tern.

This is pretty much how I do it. First make sure my feet are lined up, take a pump or two (with a rock back and forth), and putt finishing with my fingers extended toward the chains. Since I'm mostly a push putter, my arm motion is up and down and as long as my body is lined up, I rarely miss left or right.

Once I had a ton of reps in, it was all about not getting in the way and just letting things happen.
What % do you make at different distances? I spin putt, and am a decent putter and still improving (for a recreational player and only 4 months playing). I wonder at times if I would be better at maybe 20-30' with a push putt, but started as a spin putter with the idea I will get better faster using only one style, and I didn't have the power to make longer putts with a push putt. Plus, I am over 90% at 15 feet or less, probably 70% at 20' and still improving, and closing in on 50% at 30' but not there yet. At 30', in practice, throwing 10 in a row, I started out averaging about 1 in 10, but now I often get 3-4-5 out of 10. I fully expect to be able to get that over 50% - just not sure when yet. The other day I made 10 of 10 at 20' on my first try - but that is rare for me. I was in the zone - it felt amazing. I sometimes practice 20' over and over trying to get 10 of 10, and either it takes a lot of attempts, or I eventually give up and quit after a decent 8 or 9 makes of 10. Figure as long as I am improving, I don't want to mess around with the push putt, but it is frustrating when I miss left or right from 20-30'. I guess I have the best plan for me, for now, keeping my putting style the same, and working on my driving form, which I know needs work. But, I will say, no doubt that improving my putting made a much bigger difference to my scores than the gains I have made driving! I usually play 2-3 times a week, practice putting 3-5 days a week, and practice driving 1-2-3 times a week. Fairly common for me to do two sessions of whatever combination in a day.

You are throwing putters 200-250', with a fan grip???! Seems like that distance on putters is normal for a power grip? I have only been playing for 4 months, so over time my putters with fan grip may get longer, but that distance seems impossible. Maybe a modified fan grip, with a finger or fingers in a power grip position on the rim? If I tried to throw even close to hard enough to throw that far with a fan grip, the disc would slip out of my grip before getting that much force on it. I only get that distance with my drivers - 225' max, are very rare up to 245' only with a light weight Tern.
Yeah, 250ish and that's a golf shot, if I were to flex out an understable one (soft banger GT is my preferred thrower) I could send it plenty further. It's a fan grip, with the middle and ring fanned out, the index wrapped over the top of the rim but not touching the flight plate. I do have my pinky tucked in, on the rim in the power grip position for that digit, and now that I'm thinking about it and playing with a disc in my hand, I think that probably helps bigtime in adding spin, power and distance. But I always just did that unknowingly because it felt comfy and my pinky finger is far too small anyway to fan out under the flight plate.

It took me years of practicing fan grip shots to get more consistent distance and go past 200 with the putter. The original reason for developing this shot was actually because my index finger was (and still is, albeit not as bad) injured from throwing too many power grip shots, specifically the top smaller joint. Shifting over to throwing in a fan grip position for all my putter and mid shots really took a ton of stress, wear and tear off that joint. Also, I had watched an interview with Will Schusterick from many years ago and he said the most important shot that he developed during his pro career that took him from a 980 rated local pro with potential to the 1040 rated USDGC winner was that fan grip putter shot because he was so much more accurate with all of his touch shots, approach and patent pending shots with that grip and it would save him multiple strokes during the round. I have found that he is definitely right in saving strokes, but for me it is also helping my index finger out too so it is a double bonus.

The added bonus that I never saw coming was the increase in the power in my putt that has come because of all the extra practicing with the fan grip throws, this I believe is due to the grips being indentical and my overall hand and finger strength with that grip has increased as I've put in the reps and time.