• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] [Infinite Discs] Roman

@CD-

Eagle Member
Name changed from Ronin to Roman before release. First release in Infinite's I-Blend plastic.
Flight numbers given: 10/4/0/3

Looks like an overstable complement to the Dynasty. Speculation that it is the same mold combination as the former PD and Power Disc mold (PDGA specifications match up for the most part).

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/ronin
Specifications
Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 1.5cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 1.9cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 17.3cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 27.25
Flexibility: 9.20kg

Some throws scattered around in this video make it look like a Firebird almost:

Received my Run 1 I-Blend Roman (debossed Ronin on the bottom) and got out for a few throws yesterday to give it a test. Plastic feels very much like a Driver Pro and some of the newer Star blends that are grippy and shiny to begin with. Slight dome but the outer flight plate levels out near the rim.

Initial flight impressions were pretty true to numbers (albeit a 9 speed rim width) and more stability than my 2 beat in PDs (Swirly S-Line & MF C-Line) all at 175g. Comparable to my most OS Q Orion LF but very different than my newest MOLF which had more turn out of the box. Definitely a step up in glide from the I-Blend Scepter I've had for a couple years.

Only turn I got was from a wobbly OAT FH that went 320' straight. The one tree I squared up at higher speed did leave a slightly downturned rim warp and scuffed up the shiny flight plate. Following throw still showed stability so maybe a handful more rounds with tree/ground hits and scuffs will straighten the I-Blend Ronin out with some more glide as well.

Based on the profile photos on Infinite's site, this first run of I-Blend Romans seems to have the same dome profile across all the colors/weights.

is it similar to an Orc? i recently got an f2 to try some molds I havent used from innova and the orc is pretty interesting. Just a straight fairway, nothing special at all other than i need a straight fairway and it fits the bill

How do these differ from Phantom Swords?
Innova Factory Store Phantom Swords have only been released in Champion and Star so far.

Infinite Roman will probably get more runs with a variety of plastics. Run 1 is I-Blend and next runs look like they will be Swirly S-Blend & Glow C-Blend (unknown release dates but looks like the Swirly S-Blend will be signature tour series stamped for Grady Shue).
As far as I know they're both the original PD mold, the Roman is in I blend plastic though, apparently Innova driver pro. PD runs are like a box of chocolates though.
I-Blend may also be part recycled/Echostar like plastic. So imagine 50% recycled/regrind Star with 50% Driver Pro. I remember reading something from the Infinite Discs founder about the I-Blend being Echostar or regrind pellets somewhere. Makes for a good flying and cheaper blend with slight sacrifice in durability/rigidity compared to Star.

is it similar to an Orc? i recently got an f2 to try some molds I havent used from innova and the orc is pretty interesting. Just a straight fairway, nothing special at all other than i need a straight fairway and it fits the bill
Maybe, I know the Orc mold was one of the original 'distance' drivers when it got introduced. So an Orc will probably display turn more and straighten over time (especially once the flashing is gone on the rim). I expect the Roman to remain straight to fade without much turn and hold up well to high power throws or headwind better based on how my S-line PDs have held up. Really depends on how far you are throwing if you will see much difference between an Orc or the new Roman.

Orc will have more S to its flight and is also a true 10 speed.

The PD/phantom sword/power disc/Roman is really a 9 speed. It shares the same rim as the firebird, thunderbird, and OLF.

If there's ever a run of Ronin/Romans that's flat, oh boy! *rubs hands*

My 169 I blend seems to fly like a fresh Thunderbird, I see a 2 fade not a 3 fade. It also slightly flips up, kinda what I see from my MOLF.

As far as I know they're both the original PD mold, the Roman is in I blend plastic though, apparently Innova driver pro. PD runs are like a box of chocolates though.

So, these are like new P-PDs? I stopped throwing PDs when P line became unavailable.

So, these are like new P-PDs? I stopped throwing PDs when P line became unavailable.

So it seems. Sounds like this run has a mild dome so I'd prefer to fondle before purchase.

I bought a stack of the flat, gummy P-PDs from DGC several years ago when I heard they were going OOP. Just put a fresh one in the bag and have 2 more unthrown. After a little seasoning they are a perfect stable compliment that slots between a premium PD and a stable-ish Roadrunner.

Basically. I did the same thing since that was the best plastic for the PD. I tried a MOLF and both Pro and DX Thunderbirds and neither did P-PD stuff quite right. I think a I-Roman should be what we are looking for and with a bit more durability. Funny enough I had a P-PD that felt pretty similar to what my I-Blend Roman feels like. I have yet to throw my stock Swede S-PD but the Nordic Phenom was a typical PD as was the Swede C-PD. I really need to find a good way to season discs again, since I've become more accurate I'm missing a lot of the trees that I'd usually hit and season discs with.

Ordered a pair of 171/172g Halo Romans last week that came in today. Pretty nice feeling Maroon rim/Blue center. PLH very similar to the I-Blend but slightly more dome. Will take one out for a test flight tomorrow or Thursday.

I have gotten a few more rounds in with the I-Blend Roman and beat it in a little more. It has stretched out the straight part of the flight a bit but still fades pretty hard at the end. Holds onto the release angle longer and gets out to 370-380' on a flat throw.

I had one of the glow C blends in the cart, but somebody beat me to it. Looked flatter than most.

Don't think the Glow/Color Glow C-Blend Romans have had a full release yet, just the Infinite VIP Club limited release.

Infinite did release the Glow C-Blend Dynasty with a samurai stamp at the same time as the Halo Romans.

Don't think the Glow/Color Glow C-Blend Romans have had a full release yet, just the Infinite VIP Club limited release.

Infinite did release the Glow C-Blend Dynasty with a samurai stamp at the same time as the Halo Romans.

It's possible they messed up - it was the only one of it's kind, and was gone within the hour. Looked really nice though, I had it in the cart paired with a glow Dynasty for some new plastic after hours fun.

Got my halo Romans in today and took them to the field to compare against my currently bagged Lone Howl 3, Jolly Launcher PD, and I-Line Roman.

Look/feel/profile
Very similar to the I-line runs. Much lower PLH than my LH3. Slight dome a hair more than the I-line first run.

If you are familiar with these runs, here is a quick comparison:
  • Lone Howl 3, halo has much more dome and a lower PLH. My LH3 is beefier than a lot of firebirds
  • 13th run PD, halo has more dome and lower PLH
  • Dark Maul 1, halo has more dome and a slightly lower PLH
  • Phantom Sword Star, halo has more dome and almost identical PLH, maybe a hair lower on halo
  • Phantom Sword Champ, virtually identical but the halo doesn't have the nipple top my Phantom Sword does.
  • If you have a new I-line they are very close but my I-Line is already beating in.

Feels nice like a firm halo plastic but has a little give. Reminds me a little of last years Calvin destroyers.

Flight
Out of the box the halo is what I would consider a mellow PD which is amazing for this very durable plastic. It flies slightly more stable than the I-line which were bombers out of the box. Flight is most similar to my beat up Jolly Launcher PD. I like this plastic better so it is pushing my JL PD out of the bag for now.

At around 375' of power it goes dead straight with a healthy hookup. Was not thinking about turning like the new I-line but still pretty mellow for a PD.

Speaking of the beat in I-line, it is starting to keep up with my beefier destroyers... it is retaining its stability so far though, but you can definitely see where the PLH is getting pushed down from tree hits.

Two truly awesome runs of Roman (OG PD) so far.

P-Line Romans would be amazing. I found my Halo to be a little too beefy, but amazing for forehand. There may be a level of torque that would flip my Halo Roman on a forehand throw, but I do not possess it.

P-Line Romans would be amazing. I found my Halo to be a little too beefy, but amazing for forehand. There may be a level of torque that would flip my Halo Roman on a forehand throw, but I do not possess it.
I don't really find much of a difference between I blend and Pro/P-Line personally besides I blend being a bit more durable. They dry the same from my experience so that's helpful for winter/wet rounds.

I ordered 2 Keegan MF C-Glow Romans and 2 First Run I-Blend. Might not have much chance to throw them before spring, but black friday hit and the galleon was available so i snapped em.

lots of talk about these and now they are out it's crickets...

I got a phantom sword and i am just really loving what this mold is settling for me. I used to have a domey firebird for this slot and it was never really glidey enough. Sorting out my 9-speed (yes I consider it a 9 speed if it has a firebird wing) has been a bit of a challenge but I think this will solidify.

Sidewinder>QOLF>Roman>Firebird

Latest posts