• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] MINT discs - Phoenix

booter

* Ace Member *
didnt see a thread for this either but you might be able to figure out what this is ;)

Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 1.7cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 2.0cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 17.2cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 26.75
Flexibility: 9.89kg

Attachments

• mint_phoenix_0.jpg
    mint_phoenix_0.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
Guessing super OS Fairway....prolly 9,3,0,4? :p

Not bad, friend. That's the exact numbers they went with. :clap:

Got out to throw these this weekend. I don't throw OS fairways backhand, and don't have a forehand, so this is a thumber disc for me. I throw several thumbers every round, so that's significant for me.

This is a GREAT disc for thumbers. The variations available are different enough to be useful, too.

The glow version produces a long, slower turning flight, a little slower and therefore longer than the CE Firebird I've always used. (slower turn on thumber = more distance) The heavy (>170) weight eternal ("candy"/champion/Z) plastic Phoenixes came out with a little dome. These turn noticeably quicker while still being a medium-slow turning thumber disc. This gives you a little more left-to-right drift/skip at the end for shots that you want to shoot around a corner or finish to the right. (like a forehand) The light weight eternals (<170) are flatter and somewhere in between the other 2. They're all really useful and it's cool that I can cover noticeably different lines without having to get them beat in first.

Quick reference for normal folks, stability order is glow (the beef) > light weight eternal (very stable) > heavy weight eternal (still quite stable). As always, the plastic is freakin' sweet.

Everybody has their preferences, but for me I think this is the best release since I switched to Bullets a couple years ago. :thmbup:

Ha!!
I get it.
Phoenix. Firebird.
better than this
attachment.php

Because super flat predators are near impossible to find these days, I might have to check this out. The Raptor just isn't a suitable replacement for the Pred.

Felt some Proton Phoenixes up at my local pro shop today. They're quite domey and have very high plh with a sharp nose, which is different from Firebirds/FD3s/Raptors that I'm used to, that have more of a blunted nose. I wasn't a fan of the dome and sharp nose.

Felt some Proton Phoenixes up at my local pro shop today. They're quite domey and have very high plh with a sharp nose, which is different from Firebirds/FD3s/Raptors that I'm used to, that have more of a blunted nose. I wasn't a fan of the dome and sharp nose.

If you happen to see any of the nocturnal (glow), check those out. AFAIK they were only available through the Mint website, so you may not see any. But they're pretty much flat as a board. That doesn't change the feel of the rim much, but you never know, you might like them better. For me they have an excellent hand feel, but I'm only thumbing them as well.

Because super flat predators are near impossible to find these days, I might have to check this out. The Raptor just isn't a suitable replacement for the Pred.

Too OS? Otherwise I'd go with either a '21 TS or Cap Raptor if it's not OS enough. Can't help the glide issue though...

Too OS? Otherwise I'd go with either a '21 TS or Cap Raptor if it's not OS enough. Can't help the glide issue though...

I'm not sure "too overstable" is the right term. But the overstability kicks in a lot earlier. Blake T used to call discs like the predator a T2 overstable (high speed stable, overstable finish) and a raptor/firebird is more like a T1 overstable (high speed overstable, overstable finish) I like the Uli Raptors since they seem to be straighter before the fade, but don't move as far left as a predator either.

I've just never really meshed with the swooping J-shaped flight of a firebird type disc.

I'm not sure "too overstable" is the right term. But the overstability kicks in a lot earlier. Blake T used to call discs like the predator a T2 overstable (high speed stable, overstable finish) and a raptor/firebird is more like a T1 overstable (high speed overstable, overstable finish) I like the Uli Raptors since they seem to be straighter before the fade, but don't move as far left as a predator either.

I've just never really meshed with the swooping J-shaped flight of a firebird type disc.

Ahhh that makes sense then. The '22 TS that are domey have quite a bit more glide and are less OS than the typical Raptor, but the flat ones are numbers flying if not more OS.

Just ordered a glow Phoenix. Looking forward to comparing it to a Raptor.

Latest posts