• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] INNOVA CHAMPION STARFIRE

Tony Koch

Quick question, I have a champ Starfire and can't get it do do much of anything. I throw RHBH but am working on learning a forehand as well. Everytime I toss it backhand it hyzers big time, harder than what it should from what I have read. But I have been able to get the occasional decent forehand toss with it. Am I doing something wrong or is this just an inconsistent disc? And is it a good option for learning forehands with? Thanks!!

Starfires are supposed to hyzer. They're on the overstable side. If it's doing it immediately out of your hand then you're either releasing hyzer or throwing nose up.

Sounds like it may be a little too much disc for you. I haven't tried a Champ SF recently, but I here they added a little extra stability to the mold. Disc down some speed and stability until you get the hang of forehanding. Throwing something that fast and OS will likely hide flaws in your throwing technique. If your heart is set on throwing a SF maybe go with a Gstar, pro, or drop down some weight instead.

Sounds like it may be a little too much disc for you. I haven't tried a Champ SF recently, but I here they added a little extra stability to the mold. Disc down some speed and stability until you get the hang of forehanding. Throwing something that fast and OS will likely hide flaws in your throwing technique. If your heart is set on throwing a SF maybe go with a Gstar, pro, or drop down some weight instead.

FYI Pro Starfire is a different mold entirely - Starfire-L.

If you like the feel of the Starfire but want something a little less OS, then check out either a Pro Starfire (SL mold) or a P-PD from Discmania. Both will be less stable than the Starfire and will be a bit easier to throw.

Nice G.O.A.T. avatar!! :thmbup:

EDIT: notroman beat me to it

Last edited:
Starfires are supposed to hyzer. They're on the overstable side. If it's doing it immediately out of your hand then you're either releasing hyzer or throwing nose up.

I "third" this. In addition, I use champ SF for controlled distance hyzer lines. As they break in, they become pretty sweet.

A Pro Starfire or P Pd might actually do great for you. They pack some glide where the Champ Starfire does not as much.

I had a Champion Starfire I bought used and it was a sweet disc until I lost it, don't know how beat in it was when I got it. Replaced it with a Star Starfire, that disc is just a meat hook. I take it out when I'm practicing in the hopes of beating it into something usable.

The missing slot is now covered with a G-PD or my Star Orc (depending on the shot and wind), the Orc flies further for me.

I also Throw Pro Starfires (SL) and really like them (I throw them mostly backhand), they forehand well for me too but don't hook up much from a flat release, but thrown on a hyzer line, they're nice. The SL also won't take kindly to a bad forehand release.

I throw a 07 era Glow Champ Starfire as my go-to. I can really pull on it and trust it'll stay on the line. It has a healthy fade. I also have a G*Star SF that is worked into a great hyzer flip spot. And it has tons of glide. I also toss an old Star SL that is pure D on a hyzer flip line, or long anny lines.

I do throw a S-PD. I use the PD for more touch distance shots, and shots that don't need as much fade. I've recently started throwing a S-CD. I am really surprised with the flight of the CD. It flies a lot like a new SL for me; line carving, slightly understable, reliable fade.

Couldn't get the Starfire to do much for me except dive straight into the ground. Honestly there was nothing about that disc that I couldn't do better with a different one. I actually went the other way and stepped up to a Tern. Much more distance and control for me with the Tern.

I have some starfires I carry when the wind is up and my beat orcs are flying away. I would recommend a beast or a used orc for a similar yet less stable disc. The newest beasts are based on an old mold that is about the same as an orc, and I am betting those will be money in G* and star. A brand new orc will probably be close to your SF but a nicely used one will sail.

I absolutely love my Champion Starfire. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this disc isn't more popular. And it's not even that it's not popular - outside of this thread, I have NEVER met ANYONE else who throws one and I play around 10-15 PDGA events a year and a fair number of local weeklies/monthlies. I NEVER see this disc on the course while walking with my group up to our next shot. It's an absolute mystery to me because it's one of the most dependable discs I've ever used. It fits right in there b/t my fairway discs and my max drivers. Awesome, awesome control while throwing it BH or FH. I'm a duffer, so maybe that's why I like the Stafire so much. I've noticed that people who love the exotic, unfancied discs tend to be duffers with hardly any game. That would be me.

When I saw this post, I quietly rejoiced because for so long I've felt like I'm the only one in the world who buys any. In fact, I've become so paranoid that Innova would discontinue it that I've sort of stockpiled them.

Couldn't get the Starfire to do much for me except dive straight into the ground. Honestly there was nothing about that disc that I couldn't do better with a different one. I actually went the other way and stepped up to a Tern. Much more distance and control for me with the Tern.

If the starfire was going into the ground you should disc down not up

I had a champ starfire I threw for almost 4 years. I loved that thing. I could crank on it all I wanted, no turning over. The fade was predictable but not too pronounced. I had that disc dialed in.

Then one winter morning, I was playing in 2 feet of snow. Chucked that sucker farther than I ever had before on a 500 foot hole. Lost it in a snow bank 30 feet from the basket.

Long story short, after going through 3 starfires trying to find a replacement, I gave up. One was too flippy, one a glideless turd, the other way too overstable. That was over a year ago, I'm still looking for a replacement. I don't even know what I throw now. There's a hole in my bag I just can't fill. Curse you Innova, curse you…

I absolutely love my Champion Starfire. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this disc isn't more popular. And it's not even that it's not popular - outside of this thread, I have NEVER met ANYONE else who throws one and I play around 10-15 PDGA events a year and a fair number of local weeklies/monthlies. I NEVER see this disc on the course while walking with my group up to our next shot. It's an absolute mystery to me because it's one of the most dependable discs I've ever used. It fits right in there b/t my fairway discs and my max drivers. Awesome, awesome control while throwing it BH or FH. I'm a duffer, so maybe that's why I like the Stafire so much. I've noticed that people who love the exotic, unfancied discs tend to be duffers with hardly any game. That would be me.

For a long time, the Starfire was only available as a CFR mold. It was released as a production run like a month before the Wraith dropped, which stole a LOT of the Starfire's thunder, people more or less gave the Wraith all of the attention.This always baffled me, because the Wraith and Starfire complement each other quite well. A Wraith/Starfire combo does the same things as a Surge/Crush pairing.

Latest posts