• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova - Pro plastic the straightest???

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
I had a Pro Leopard for a few months, and it was very straight for me. But, I grip-locked it into a lake. Just today I got a replacement Leopard Pro, and a light (148g) Pro Tern, and new, in very limited use, both seem much straighter than my multiple Leopard Dx and Star Terns. Is that just small sample size, or is Pro plastic straighter? Thinking of getting some more Pro plastic, so also wondering, does Pro plastic hold up well? Separate from that, my son and I throw multiple Roadrunners between us, and they seem pretty straight - we see very little of that huge -4 turn number. Almost seems like they should be -1/1, instead of -4,1. Others, do Roadrunners match that -4 turn for you? Thanks for any input.

Baseline plastic is generally less stable than premium. Baseline plastic [pro or dx] do not hold up well.

No magic in any disc. Practicing form will give you a baseline for all molds. Learning angle control and the characteristics of molds is one of the next steps in the progression. Regardless of numbers on the disc, reputation of the mold...it still comes down to you learning how a particular disc behaves. I suggest that learning on lightweight, understable discs is not going to yield long term progress. Get some neutral mids and putters and learn to throw golf shots.

Pro is a good plastic, not real durable on rocks but a premium baseline plastic. It tends to imbue more glide with a tiny bit more durability and flexibilty than dx. Usually flies a little more broken in OOTB.

I'm not sure about current runs of the RR but it is a fantastic disc for beginners or pros. Great feel and glide, excellent beginner distance driver after some fairway leopard action. Different runs and weights can make a big difference to stability. I should pull a few out and give em a go.

If you want -4 turn get a lighter star one and beat it for a bit. Or gstar.

Pro is a good plastic, not real durable on rocks but a premium baseline plastic. It tends to imbue more glide with a tiny bit more durability and flexibilty than dx. Usually flies a little more broken in OOTB.

I'm not sure about current runs of the RR but it is a fantastic disc for beginners or pros. Great feel and glide, excellent beginner distance driver after some fairway leopard action. Different runs and weights can make a big difference to stability. I should pull a few out and give em a go.

If you want -4 turn get a lighter star one and beat it for a bit. Or gstar.

Roadrunners - we got DX, Star, and GStar, some new, and some used. None of them really show that big -4 turn. By contrast, I have Mambas, and that big -5 turn is real easy to see. They will hyzer flip to flat. Give only a little hyzer, they flip up, then over into rollers. Roadrunner - we throw them flat, and they make a gentle S turn - almost straight. ????

Roadrunners - we got DX, Star, and GStar, some new, and some used. None of them really show that big -4 turn. By contrast, I have Mambas, and that big -5 turn is real easy to see. They will hyzer flip to flat. Give only a little hyzer, they flip up, then over into rollers. Roadrunner - we throw them flat, and they make a gentle S turn - almost straight. ????
Those numbers are not an exact science. They certainly aren't holding up to the specs you'd want engineering a machine looking for repeatable results. The speed numbers are solid - they describe the width of the rim. Outside of that, there is some variability.

The turn numbers are made with throwers who have some power in mind. If you're not able to throw at least 300 feet on a drive, you're not going to be able to get the full turn numbers out of the flight for a new disc OOTB. That roadrunner ain't gonna turn, especially OOTB, unless you can throw at least 300. It's going to fly more like -1/1. Once it beats in more (or you improve arm speed), it will gradually turn more and behave more like the flight numbers say. Pay WAY more attention to what FEELS good in your hand, and way less attention to those numbers. The numbers aren't totally useless, but just general guidelines.

Those numbers are not an exact science. They certainly aren't holding up to the specs you'd want engineering a machine looking for repeatable results. The speed numbers are solid - they describe the width of the rim. Outside of that, there is some variability.

The turn numbers are made with throwers who have some power in mind. If you're not able to throw at least 300 feet on a drive, you're not going to be able to get the full turn numbers out of the flight for a new disc OOTB. That roadrunner ain't gonna turn, especially OOTB, unless you can throw at least 300. It's going to fly more like -1/1. Once it beats in more (or you improve arm speed), it will gradually turn more and behave more like the flight numbers say. Pay WAY more attention to what FEELS good in your hand, and way less attention to those numbers. The numbers aren't totally useless, but just general guidelines.
I max out at 245', and my son about 285'. But the Mambas turn like crazy, even brand new, while the Roadrunner Star is beat in - I bought it used, and we have given it a couple months of heavy use. Interesting.

I max out at 245', and my son about 285'. But the Mambas turn like crazy, even brand new, while the Roadrunner Star is beat in - I bought it used, and we have given it a couple months of heavy use. Interesting.
There is so much variability in runs of discs, depending on year, make and mold. This is why I'm a big believer in purchasing a disc in store, really feeling it up and finding a disc you like that feels good in your hand, and just committing to learning it's unique flight path. There absolutely is room in a beginner bag for a meathook max weight Destroyer that you can't throw past 150ft. You'll find that you're able to use it as a forehand roller, or throw a super cut forehand flex from a standstill and have it pan and hyzer out. Your son for sure, and perhaps you as well, could learn how to throw the various overhand shots like thumbers and tomahawk with such disc.

Avoid the temptation to purchase too many discs. You're way better off having 20 discs that you've thrown a ton and you can manipulate the lines.

There is so much variability in runs of discs, depending on year, make and mold. This is why I'm a big believer in purchasing a disc in store, really feeling it up and finding a disc you like that feels good in your hand, and just committing to learning it's unique flight path. There absolutely is room in a beginner bag for a meathook max weight Destroyer that you can't throw past 150ft. You'll find that you're able to use it as a forehand roller, or throw a super cut forehand flex from a standstill and have it pan and hyzer out. Your son for sure, and perhaps you as well, could learn how to throw the various overhand shots like thumbers and tomahawk with such disc.

Avoid the temptation to purchase too many discs. You're way better off having 20 discs that you've thrown a ton and you can manipulate the lines.
I am an addict. You can't help me - save yourself. I like buying more plastic - trying out new discs, and getting multiples of my latest favorites. I love Innova F2 Friday - buy 3 discs, mostly F2s, get one free to cover the cost of shipping. I figure, better I am addicted to buying discs than to gambling, drugs, cigarettes, etc.!!!

I am an addict. You can't help me - save yourself. I like buying more plastic - trying out new discs, and getting multiples of my latest favorites. I love Innova F2 Friday - buy 3 discs, mostly F2s, get one free to cover the cost of shipping. I figure, better I am addicted to buying discs than to gambling, drugs, cigarettes, etc.!!!

I'd say that some of us that went through the same search for the magic arrow could probably give you a really good deal on a lot of lightly used discs of various molds. I've got a box of randoms in the garage that were mostly just field tested, but I think most everything is close to max weight and I know you are looking for sub 150.

Yeah - I think 145-150g seems to be my sweet spot, for drivers, at least for now. I do like my putters heavy, but I already have most of the popular ones that fit my putting style - only a few left I might eventually try. A DG buddy and I just traded each other three putters today - both gave up ones we know won't ever be our favorite, and get to try 3 new ones. I gave up a Rekko, a Soft Roach, and a Judge, and trying a Warden, a Mobius EV-7, and a Penrose EV-7. Unlike my driving form, which needs a lot of work and will change over time, I think my putting style is mostly set now, so I want to find one favorite putter, get ten of it, and settle in where I can do most of my practice with my putter of choice. So far, a 'Fierce' battle with 'Soft Magnets', but in limited use this evening, I decided I definitely have to give that Warden a lot closer look. It seemed pretty decent going every 5', from 10' out to 45' - not missing much - then at 50', I made two putts in a row with it, and a third hit the top of the basket. I only average 1 out of 10 from 50' - maybe improving towards 2, so 2 in a row and a third miss barely high - interesting. I need to see more for sure - give the Warden some work - maybe even try it a bit in my bag for game day.

Last edited:
I'd say that some of us that went through the same search for the magic arrow could probably give you a really good deal on a lot of lightly used discs of various molds. I've got a box of randoms in the garage that were mostly just field tested, but I think most everything is close to max weight and I know you are looking for sub 150.
Haha yeah I think a lot of us are looking at our buddy Chris here and enjoying his enthusiasm for the sport, and buying every disc that he possibly can while he figures everything out.....

The hard way.... haha same as the the rest of us. If you look back 15 years on my stuff there is no way you could tell me s***

I compare DGers (includes myself of course) buying discs to women buying shoes. A little pick me up. Something fun to do with a bit of free time and some money to blow. No matter how many you get, there is another one you need. And then another after that. On the upside, I played my best round ever today!

Haha yeah I think a lot of us are looking at our buddy Chris here and enjoying his enthusiasm for the sport, and buying every disc that he possibly can while he figures everything out.....

The hard way.... haha same as the the rest of us. If you look back 15 years on my stuff there is no way you could tell me s***
And I thought I was a disc-o-Holic, since I picked up that Neutron Orbital SE a year ago April, and decided to flip my bag a few months later, I just counted up 111 MVP/Axiom, with 41 remaining with me all either in a 27-disc bag or backups in a box. The rest either the flight numbers didn't work for me, zeroing in on a weight, and what plastic works for me, all traded in during the process. Then there's the ever-changing form, from 1-step to x-step, now 3-step makes a difference how a disc flies. I have a happy bag putter thru 11-speed with a Star Mamba always in the bag, waiting for delivery a Neutron Orbital 150-159g whatever is sent for those downwind turn flips. Then there are those thoughts "I sure do miss that Neutron Mayhem", "maybe I should bring back a Signal, Uplink etc now that I'm throwing 3-step, and not the x-step a year ago". Then the Time-Lapse is announced "oh, I can now challenge my Star Destroyer", so I buy a Neutron Photon to warm up for the T-L. A few weeks ago, I was missing my Virus for woods play, brought it back and its never leaving again. Now that my summertime bag is happy, time to work on the wintertime wind bag, I brought in seven Innova's with last year's three hold overs for 12-14 speeds.

It seems never ending, but the past few months the buying and trading in has slowed down. Reading Chris's post's, I have a feeling he's going to surpass me quickly. We all have our own ways figuring it out.

Last edited:
I compare DGers (includes myself of course) buying discs to women buying shoes. A little pick me up. Something fun to do with a bit of free time and some money to blow. No matter how many you get, there is another one you need. And then another after that. On the upside, I played my best round ever today!
My wife has her Kohl's shopping and I've never complained, and she remembers how expensive ball golf was when I played. She's supportive, has been on the course with me a few times videoing. The first time she video, every single shot including putting with my bag on and a few feet away. I was only expecting a few from the tee, it was comical watching later and having not known.

I know right, I dare not count, I was looking at your 111 and thinking I don't have that many... then I count 15 in plain view and my 16 envy putters in the bin above that...

And then I don't want to count anymore. That's what I have around for throwing ease haha. Easy access. Need 30 minimum haha.

Plus, bonus, the course(s) I play are all free, and I can buy 4 Innova discs on F2 Friday for less than the cost of a round of ball golf. That ball golf is an expensive sport!

I have some input on the Pro Plastic. About three months into playing, I found a Pro Destroyer having no clue about them, just happened to be at the start of our wind season. With a sloppy 4-step and when I could get a good throw in, good distance in a headwind with fade. A month later bought a Pro Valkyrie dead straight when I good get a good throw in, good distance down wind. I putted with it in heavy wind it was stable and not floaty. Both discs about 170g, had them for more than a year and a half before losing them on 1-step. A year and half ago Pro Beast about 170g 1-step straight with ending fade, but poor distance could throw a Star Valkyrie further. Didn't stay with me long.

Earlier this year in the middle of our strong wind season saw a Pro Destroyer and Pro Shryke upper 160'sg right next to each other. Now x-step with a solid whip and snap, I was curious since I was throwing a Star Destroyer 172g, and a Star Shyrke 167g. and the first Pro-D a few years before. Straight with ending fade for both, short on distance, felt like I was throwing paper, I had also been working on form for more than two years. Both of the Stars were blowing past them by at least 50 feet head or tail wind. Both had a short time with me.

I never threw a Star Beast, but for the other Pro's straighter online compared to the Star's, but shorter on distance.

Love the experts. If you like pro, throw it.

DX can die on one throw. Pro can take a hit. It will beat in, but it's a steady transition rather than one tree hit and it's a different flight.

Destroyers tend to be too much for my arm. A guy I played with a few years ago let me try his Pro Destroyer, and there was a considerable difference. I was able to achieve a full flight that had a nice controlled turn at the beginning of the throw, and faded back nicely to straight.

It just felt different from Champion plastic.