• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Puma

Harry Bob

Anyone out there know anything about the Innova Puma? I was getting some other discs from a guy off Craigslist and saw the puma. I hadn't heard of it or seen it on Innova's site, so I bought it from him. Does anybody know the SGTF for the disc? Anyone use it much? Like or dislike it?

Thanks,
HB

The only thing I know is it was a driver.

The guy to ask is Three Putt. It the info is out there its in his head.

As far as I can tell it is a fairway driver that is somewhat understable with little fade. I'm guessing a slower valk. probably 7, 4, -2, 2.

It appears to have a thumb track on it so I don't know how driver-like it really is.
Puma.jpg

There are a few drivers out there with thumb tracks or groove tops, but you're right, they are few and far between. It might have been a driver when it came out though. From the top view and from what I know about it, it seems exactly like a wolf.

The Puma was an entirely forgettable disc, so much so that I forget all about it.

When it was released it was called a driver. The Stingray and Cobra were also called drivers at that time, so take it for what it is worth. The nose was way too blunt to pass for a driver by today's definitions.

Really, from what I recall it looked a lot like the Panther. The wing looked similar to the Panther wing except that it had a very small bead. The top was a lot flatter due to the Thumtrac®. The result was a more stable Panther-type disc, pretty fast for a midrange and easy to turn. All in all not a bad disc but nothing special.

At the time, Innova was looking at the end of their patent on beveled-edge discs. They suddenly started rolling out Thumtrac® discs, and I thought it was becasue the Thumtrac® patent was going to be good for several more years. If they could make it popular and license it to other manufacturers, it would help offset what they were going to lose when the golf disc patent expired. That was just my guess. At any rate, the Rhyno, Puma and Wolf all rolled out in short order. That's as far as it went, though. Other than the retooled Birdie (which really just replaced the Piranha) there were no more Thumtrac® discs until the Pig came out last year. So, I guess it never really caught on like they had hoped.

Did I kill another thread? Nobody wants to argue with me? Darn it, this is no fun. :(
From the top view and from what I know about it, it seems exactly like a wolf.
Kinda, but not quite. The Wolf is really a roller disc, pure and simple. Even for low power players is flips over like a teenage girl on prom night and rolls like a Zig Zag. It's a great disc to learn a turnover roller with, and after that it's...ah, a good disc to give your buddy so he can learn to throw a turnover roller.

The Puma actually was a more useful disc. With some hyzer it would flatten and fly pretty straight and long. It would hold an nice anhyzer line if you threw it flat. If you put some hyzer on a Wolf, it just takes it a nanosecond longer to flip and roll. So in terms of a discs I'd use, I'd pick the Puma long before I'd pick the Wolf.

The thing is, the Puma did some things well but nothing great. The Wolf is a great disc for doing one thing. So, the Puma is long gone and the Wolf is still around.

lol I'll bite.

I know an older guy that is very accurate with a wolf. His is very beat in and on a few narrow downhill hills at my home course he can just float it down to the basket.

I know an older guy that is very accurate with a wolf. His is very beat in and on a few narrow downhill hills at my home course he can just float it down to the basket.
He just barely throws it and it floats, I bet. Looks like he isn't even trying? Yeah, if you have finesse and know how to baby a Wolf you can get some nice glide.

I have no finesse. Grip it and rip it, baby. For me, throwing a Wolf is as useless as tits on a bull.

Don't know crap about the thumbtrack discs but since you'd like a discussion I can offer a counter to your statement on the Wolf.

My best friend plays with me every so often and has for about 6 years (granted it was always casual play) and he has primarily only used a Wolf ... driving, approach, putting. I can't say I've ever seen him flip or roll it. I don't know exactly what kind of speed he puts on his throws but he has always been pretty accurate with his Wolf. Not a lot of distance, but he seems very comfortable with it.

*edit due to me being a slow typer and this coming up already*
Finesse player definitely seems to fit my friend.

Innova is going to re-release it with the new name Chupacabra - "The driver that really isn't a driver"

Is that anything like a jackalope? They are the fastest thing I have ever not seen. That is how fast they are. ZOOOMMMM so fast you cannot see them.

I like my Wolf a lot. I can get it to fly a decent distance and be accurate with it.
I am likely a finesse player, not a lot of power.

The Puma sounds like an interesting disc to check out if I could ever find one.

He just barely throws it and it floats, I bet. Looks like he isn't even trying? Yeah, if you have finesse and know how to baby a Wolf you can get some nice glide.

I have no finesse. Grip it and rip it, baby. For me, throwing a Wolf is as useless as tits on a bull.

thats not true, you can play with tits and eat their oysters;)

Latest posts