• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Star Plastic vs Champion Plastic: Which and Why? (esp in drivers)

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
* Before we get into the "it depends on the disc, and year, and all other tangential aspects" this is a basic fundamental ("conceptual") discussion about the nature of the plastics. *

It seems once a season i go through a "plastic dilemma" and re-evaluate my plastic preference. My home course is a long precision based course that requires the thrower to avoid trees on almost every hole.

In general i like the consistent wear and performance of champion. In the shorter ranges i am not sure that (in general) there is much of a difference between these two - the difference, if any, is negligible.

In the longer ranges (Drivers) it seems to me there is a slight difference. Star, by nature, seems a bit more overstable and seemingly a bit faster. It also seems, to me, that star goes a bit farther. It also seems to have a very slow but consistent durability factor. it degrades with each impact, whereas champion seems resistant up to a point. Getting this plastic type broken in to a "sweet spot" is a matter of getting it to a point on the downhill slope of degrade that works best for you.

The trade-off is champion is more durable, breaks in quickly and seems to remain at that level for a long time. By nature (generalized) it seems less overstable than the star, (seemingly) slower and shorter?

what are your observations between the two?

Current Dilemmas:
Ch. Boss vs Star Boss
Ch. Destroyer vs. Star Destoyer
Ch. Valkyrie vs. Star Valk.
Ch. Orc vs. Star Orc
Ch. Teebird vs. Star Teebird
Dx Roc vs. Star Roc

I will chime in on the three I throw.

champ valk- JK specifically, a little more beat is a little better disc, star plastic is way hearty but if you want something that's consistently new for a long time, star is for you. I live in michigan where trees are a prerequisite and champ works well for me.. same for teebirds.

now, rocs. DX is the prefered plastic across the board for stability and accuracy, champ rocs are nice to look at and slightly more overstable. DX tends to beat in quickly and become wicked stable. I personally carry two each of
jk valks, 11x teebirds, and dx rocs.

just my 0.02, I can't stand the feel of star plastic.

Prerube: 8204 posts, 8000 gashing at people's search skills, 200 fighting for the disabled, 4 with content.

I prefer star but you are going to get as many answers as Prerube has windows of search opened so who really cares...it all comes down to YOU.

Prerube: 8204 posts, 8000 gashing at people's search skills, 200 fighting for the disabled, 4 with content.

I prefer star but you are going to get as many answers as Prerube has windows of search opened so who really cares...it all comes down to YOU.

I have 300 posts in "What is this disc worth" and you can not forget 1000 posts of flamewars

flamewar posts are in the landfill so they aren't counted.... imagine how many agent peebody would have!

just my 0.02, I can't stand the feel of star plastic.

I used to feel the same way, however, I now find that Star plastic is not as "slick" feeling as it used to be (maybe it's just me, idk). I know carry a star Vulcan and Katana...

I think that champ plastic is better overall, my 2 cents...

I carry Star, Champ, and Pro Orcs. Each serve a different roll. Pro is max d, Champ is my straightest, and Star is my slightly over stable. I love Z plastic better than Champ, and Star better than ESP. My bag is kinda all over the place, just depends on what discs works best. But let me say this, NO DX DRIVERS!!

I carry Star, Champ, and Pro Orcs. Each serve a different roll. Pro is max d, Champ is my straightest, and Star is my slightly over stable. I love Z plastic better than Champ, and Star better than ESP. My bag is kinda all over the place, just depends on what discs works best. But let me say this, NO DX DRIVERS!!

Except Teebirds & Eagles! I get Champ if it's something overstable I want to stay that way. Star if I want it to break in a little quicker

you think star is more overstable than champ plastic? i disagree, i think they start off about the same but the star breaks in quicker and after some rounds champ plastic is consistently more overstable than star plastic in every disc in my bag.

you think star is more overstable than champ plastic? i disagree, i think they start off about the same but the star breaks in quicker and after some rounds champ plastic is consistently more overstable than star plastic in every disc in my bag.

qft.

I completely agree. Pros choose Champ plastic for their overstable discs so they'll stay that way longer.

Btw, a Nuke OS is crazy overstable. I just threw one the other day in Z, and holy schniekes.

+1 :thmbup:

I love star plastic, until it gets damp either from dew, rain, or sweat.

i had this problem before but now that i bought a nice microfiber towel those problems are over.

Latest posts