• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] XCaliber vs. Warhorse

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Today's driver matchup is a pair of fairly overstable speed 12 drivers, the Westside Warhorse, and Innova's XCaliber. Both of these are known for being good wind fighters. A lot of big arms tote them around.

XCaliber has a 2.3 CM rim width. 1.2 CM rim depth. Listed #s: 12, 5, 0, 4.
Warhorse has a 2.2 CM rim width. 1.2 CM rim depth. Listed #s: 13, 4, 0, 4.

XCal (for this review) is champion, 175g. Fairly flat.
Warhorse is 174g, Tournament burst plastic. Big dome. Much domier than the XCal.

I'm intimately familiar with the XCal, and have bagged one for years. I use it for fairly long drives when the wind starts blowing a little and the star Destroyer starts flipping.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the Warhorse. I only have 1 of them. I did a comprehensive write up/review of it on here about a year ago.

For 2 discs with such similar flight numbers, I actually experienced some noticeable differences in flight. Today was the first time I've ever thrown these molds at the same time.

Contrary to the given flight numbers, I found the XCal to have a smidge of high speed turn. Even more interestingly, it will hold that turn and transition to flat pretty gracefully. The XCal seemed in no hurry to fade either. Once it did finally fade, it was fairly sharp/dumpy. Thrown into a headwind the XCal bled right enough to land about 25' right of my intended target. I never got a dramatic late fade out of it to bring it back toward center. The slight high speed turn and later fade made the XCal easily 25' longer than the Warhorse. The XCal isn't an exceptional glider. I feel like it glides worse than most star Destroyers. Top distance with the XCal was probably about 380'. The prolonged straight flight and later fade really helped there.

Now, the Warhorse is a little more what I was expecting out of an overstable driver. I didn't get any turn out of the Warhorse at all, and it wouldn't hold a flat line long before starting to fade. The Warhorse just loves to be thrown hard. I was giving it 100% rips and getting good results. I'd just lay it out right of the target and let the disc's natural (hard) fade bring it back toward center. At no point did the Warhorse even wiggle right into a headwind. The Warhorse penetrates well and gets decent distance despite not gliding great. I don't quite have the arm to flatten the Warhorse out for big distance, but I was still getting a consistent 360' out of it. What I really liked was how accurate that distance was. The Warhorse went where I aimed it. The Warhorse has a good hand feel and reminds me of a domey, faster Firebird.

Conclusions: Depending on what you're looking for, both the XCal and the Warhorse are good overstable drivers. That said, when you start cranking into headwinds the XCal will turn enough to cause concern. In calm conditions the XCal won't turn, but will still stay flat for most of the flight. The Warhorse is noticeably more overstable than the XCal, and shorter for that reason. Ultimately you have to decide what matters more; the extra 20' of distance the XCal provides, or the better wind fighting ability of the Warhorse.

I was a little surprised at these results, mainly at the fact that the XCal is such a wimpy wind fighter. It'll fly overstable in calm conditions, but turns noticeably in headwinds. I've bagged the XCal for years. I don't throw it a ton. After today's duel I'm tempted to switch it out for the Warhorse. I just liked the Warhorse better. You can MURDER it into a headwind without worry. I liked the consistent overstability of the disc as well.

My flight numbers based on what I've seen out of these molds...

XCal: 12, 4, -.5, 4. The XCal WILL turn a little on hard rips, more so if you throw into a headwind. It still fades pretty hard. I'm not wild about the glide, which is why I dropped it to 4. The XCal flies like a beefy, somewhat sluggish Destroyer. The biggest asset of the XCal (IMO) is the distance. This disc covers ground well when you mash on it. Quite a bit longer than the Warhorse.

Warhorse: 12, 4, 0, 4. The only number I changed here was the speed. I don't feel like the Warhorse is quite 13 speed. All the other numbers are accurate. This disc doesn't glide remarkably well, doesn't turn at all, and fades left hard and fairly soon in flight. The Warhorse is by far the better wind fighter of the two. I'll go as far as to call the Warhorse underrated. This is a nice mold, and it performs as it should.

I have not thrown an XCal in several years, though I used to like them a lot. But I have been a huge fan of the Warhorse since they came out and have to say that it is the disc I've thrown the farthest. Like you said you can crush it into a headwind and it won't flip and as long as you get on top of it it can crush.

In any given day if my legs are feeling good I can throw it 500+.

You are right that the glide it's lower than some discs in the class, but I don't know if it's slower. It's hard to say though.

I have not thrown an XCal in several years, though I used to like them a lot. But I have been a huge fan of the Warhorse since they came out and have to say that it is the disc I've thrown the farthest. Like you said you can crush it into a headwind and it won't flip and as long as you get on top of it it can crush.

In any given day if my legs are feeling good I can throw it 500+.

You are right that the glide it's lower than some discs in the class, but I don't know if it's slower. It's hard to say though.

Yeah. My 1 Warhorse is really beefy. It's in very good condition, and I haven't beat it in at all. This almost seems like a disc that would start turning a little over time.

I chucked it a couple times 100% power into a headwind yesterday and it didn't even think about turning.

The Warhorse is pretty overstable, but not so much that it won't go anywhere. I can still get decent distance with it.

I'm currently giving the Xcaliber a test drive for the first time this week, and I dig the results so far. I got one used at PIAS, 175g Star, and what stood out to me was the LSS and the distance it covered. I've only thrown it forehand so far, but that's what I got it for. But yea, I was pleasantly surprised by the distance I got from it, bc from the tee pad it looks like that aggressive fade eliminates some distance potential but it really doesn't. I REALLY liked the War Horse when I first got it, but it super bummed me out to have the most stereotypical trilogy plastic experience happen to me. I had a brand new 170g metal flake first run that flew like a dream for a couple months and then one day it started turning mid flight, which is great if that's what you want but with those results I'll just go back to flicking a Destroyer.

how old/beat is the xcal? star xcals will beat in to get the type of turn/fade you describe; (most) fresh star/champ xcals are glideless meathooks.
i was thinking about getting a warhorse (cuz moose keeps raving about them), but from this review i think i'll continue to stay away from buying foreign plastic

how old/beat is the xcal? star xcals will beat in to get the type of turn/fade you describe; (most) fresh star/champ xcals are glideless meathooks.
i was thinking about getting a warhorse (cuz moose keeps raving about them), but from this review i think i'll continue to stay away from buying foreign plastic

So what your saying is... more for me?

The Xcaliber I threw wasn't beat to smithereens, but did have a few road rash marks, def had been around the block once or twice, if I had to guess I'd say it spent a few months in someone's bag. Either way, there's like this 7% less flip it seems to get than a beat War Horse on an anny flick, and for me that's worth it bc my War Horse started to point its nose just a little too much to the ground on an anhyzer angle to where I didn't 100% trust it. It always sticks in my head, I forget if it was an ITB or not but Chris Clemons talked about how he replaces the War Horse he bags the first time he sees it flip. Of course he's a sponsored pro who can get as many War Horses as he wants, but it made sense from the perspective that there's a difference between a max d driver and an purposefully overstable Max d driver. Again, I feel like I'm ragging on the War Horse, which is a 10/10 for me in brand new flight/feel/stamp/name, just an awesome disc, it's just not a disc I'm looking to layer in my bag.

The Xcaliber I threw wasn't beat to smithereens, but did have a few road rash marks, def had been around the block once or twice, if I had to guess I'd say it spent a few months in someone's bag. Either way, there's like this 7% less flip it seems to get than a beat War Horse on an anny flick, and for me that's worth it bc my War Horse started to point its nose just a little too much to the ground on an anhyzer angle to where I didn't 100% trust it. It always sticks in my head, I forget if it was an ITB or not but Chris Clemons talked about how he replaces the War Horse he bags the first time he sees it flip. Of course he's a sponsored pro who can get as many War Horses as he wants, but it made sense from the perspective that there's a difference between a max d driver and an purposefully overstable Max d driver. Again, I feel like I'm ragging on the War Horse, which is a 10/10 for me in brand new flight/feel/stamp/name, just an awesome disc, it's just not a disc I'm looking to layer in my bag.

Similar to Clemons in that when I see the WH start to flip I replace it. They are still stable enough to use for BH headwind shots but I have a couple that will never see another FH.

I think that was always the complaint about the Xcal, it didn't really fly as advertised.

Would develop some high speed turn eventually and didn't seem to have a lot of carry. Was meant to be a destroyer OS when released but people just threw beefy destroyers instead.

I think that was always the complaint about the Xcal, it didn't really fly as advertised.

Would develop some high speed turn eventually and didn't seem to have a lot of carry. Was meant to be a destroyer OS when released but people just threw beefy destroyers instead.

For me, the XCal flies fairly overstable in calm or downwind conditions. With a headwind it turns fairly easily.

The XCal is a little clunkier and doesn't seem to glide great. If I wanted that "overstable Destroyer" flight I'd just throw a beefy Destroyer.

For most overstable shots the XCal does well. Every once in a while it'll bleed too far right into a headwind and just not back, though.

I'd say the same things about the Ballista Pro. Overstable in calm weather, flippy into a headwind.

Latest posts