• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

Same here. At first I thought I was going to really love the stud but I have been finding myself going back to my start colt more and more (over my proto star stud). It makes no sense to me but it seems that although my stud definitely has more fade, my star colt seems to hold a hyzer much better than my stud. Thrown pretty hard on a mild hyzer my colt typically holds that line (perhaps flips up a touch, but not to flat) where the stud thrown the same flips up to flat quickly, rides straight, then fades harder. Not that it isn't a useful shot, but I'd much rather my disc hold the line.

It may be something with my grip (my stud is really domey and it drives me nuts) or the fact that the lack of glide has me subconciously throwing harder with the stud but the bottom line is when I'm on the course I find myself pulling the colt out of the bag much more than the stud. I really didn't think that would be the case as I generally prefer my approach putters more stable.

Side note - as my stud is sitting on the bench I've wondered what would happen if I flattened it a bit since I can't stand the dome. I know it varies greatly by mold, but any guesses if flat will make it more or less stable?

If you flatten it my guess is you will lose that extra flip from hyzer making it a bit more stable. It might also lower the PLH wing some and make it flipper though?

Same here. At first I thought I was going to really love the stud but I have been finding myself going back to my start colt more and more (over my proto star stud). It makes no sense to me but it seems that although my stud definitely has more fade, my star colt seems to hold a hyzer much better than my stud. Thrown pretty hard on a mild hyzer my colt typically holds that line (perhaps flips up a touch, but not to flat) where the stud thrown the same flips up to flat quickly, rides straight, then fades harder. Not that it isn't a useful shot, but I'd much rather my disc hold the line.

It may be something with my grip (my stud is really domey and it drives me nuts) or the fact that the lack of glide has me subconciously throwing harder with the stud but the bottom line is when I'm on the course I find myself pulling the colt out of the bag much more than the stud. I really didn't think that would be the case as I generally prefer my approach putters more stable.

Side note - as my stud is sitting on the bench I've wondered what would happen if I flattened it a bit since I can't stand the dome. I know it varies greatly by mold, but any guesses if flat will make it more or less stable?

I've been getting similar results, especially if I power down my Star Colt throws on a hyzer line. My (first run) Star Stud is not domey, but I definitely go to the Colt more and more for shots where I expected to use the Stud. I was contemplating taking the Stud out of the bag (and just using the P3 for OS shots), but yesterday it performed a beautiful skip-shot and parked under the basket on a heavily technical/wooded course.

This is why I want to see some production Star Studs, and see if mine is the aberration or the norm. From what I'm hearing from you guys, it looks like it's the norm... :eek:

Hey SonicGuy... You still putting the Studs?
Do you still stand by the "Rancho Roc putter" description? That is exactly what I'm looking for...

Erm, no lol

The Stud was/is great, but it wasn't beating in fast enough for me. I switched to my original proto dx colt which has now developed a good amount of glide and zero fade.

If you like a little fade in your putters stud should be great. I don't and I lost patience waiting for the stable to beat out.

Thanks for the reply!

I do like a putter with some fade; Right now I use a Rhyno for those shots. Various stages of wear on my Aviars will cover the more evenly stable and understable shots. Sonics or Polecats get the nod for slow finesse shots.

What I'm wondering is if I can cycle Studs to cover the Rhynos and Aviars? How does a new Stud compare to a Rhyno? You mentioned the Stud taking to long to break in; how long before a DX will lose its fade?

What I'm wondering is if I can cycle Studs to cover the Rhynos and Aviars? How does a new Stud compare to a Rhyno? You mentioned the Stud taking to long to break in; how long before a DX will lose its fade?

No, studs will never start with enough fade to replace rhynos. Studs are also glide machines. And studs fade forward while rhynos dump.

The problem as I see it is that the stud has a thick bead that needs to wear down to lose stability. Only one way to do that is drive with it, so as a putting putter it just wasn't breaking in for me.

Got my two production Star Studs in the mail over the weekend. One in a nice light blue, the other in a very bright HOT pink; I find I have no trouble finding this disc even with my bad eyesight.

I've been finding that my Star Colt keeps going long on me on approach shots, and it's also becoming ever so slightly understable; it went from being more like my DX Prototype Colts to more like DX Production Colts. That's not a bad thing, but in addition to the glide, the Colt has also begun showing a tendency to skip more and roll away from the basket more than I want to see. This has caused me to start working with the Star Stud more and more on approach shots.

And the new production Star Studs have done very well on the range and did really well on the course today. I threw several shots from anywhere from 80-150 ft. out, then threw the Colt for comparison. I threw the Studs on a slight hyzer (a couple of times around trees by necessity). The Stud did very well, flew the intended line, and came in right around the basket without too much skip or rollaway. The Colt did a little better on throws further out due to its higher glide, but I'd say the production Star Stud has become my "go to" approach disc from "triple digit" range (100+ feet).

After reading and re reading all the posts I decided to get a dx stud. I like it for up shots for sure. I haven't came across a star yet but curious if you guys are finding to get more glide out of the stars? Are the stars still flat or more domey?

After reading and re reading all the posts I decided to get a dx stud. I like it for up shots for sure. I haven't came across a star yet but curious if you guys are finding to get more glide out of the stars? Are the stars still flat or more domey?

My production Star Studs are slightly more domey than my DX Studs. My Star Studs are not particularly glidey, which is how I want them to be.

To those of you who use the Stud as a driving putter how does it compare to a BB Aviar. I would be interested in star plastic obviously.

To those of you who use the Stud as a driving putter how does it compare to a BB Aviar. I would be interested in star plastic obviously.

My Star BB Aviar Driver is more consistently overstable than my Star Studs. The Star Stud is more OS than the Colt, but not all that OS at all. The BB Aviar holds very consistent hyzer lines for me and gives a much more reliable fade than the Stud.

Necro bump. Just sharing something I just learned.

I just watched the AskDave #2 video (https://youtu.be/dd8AmxP-BSs), and Dave Dunipace had an interesting comment about the V-Tech, that it reduces the LSS fade. I've been wondering why my Star Stud was often not fading like I wanted it to, especially on higher power throws, and now I know. So now I'm going to seek an approach disc with a more certain fade to compliment the Star Stud.

Necro bump. Just sharing something I just learned.

I just watched the AskDave #2 video (https://youtu.be/dd8AmxP-BSs), and Dave Dunipace had an interesting comment about the V-Tech, that it reduces the LSS fade. I've been wondering why my Star Stud was often not fading like I wanted it to, especially on higher power throws, and now I know. So now I'm going to seek an approach disc with a more certain fade to compliment the Star Stud.

Pig, pig, pig, pig!

Pig, pig, pig, pig!

The Pig is, I am sure, a good disc. But it has that Thumbtrac, which I am not partial to.

Other discs I'm looking at are the Harp, Zone, and Prodigy A1 or A2. I am looking for a shallow disc that is overstable but not necessarily a meathook. I'd prefer a smooth fade to a dump fade like the Gator provideth.

The Pig is, I am sure, a good disc. But it has that Thumbtrac, which I am not partial to.

Other discs I'm looking at are the Harp, Zone, and Prodigy A1 or A2. I am looking for a shallow disc that is overstable but not necessarily a meathook. I'd prefer a smooth fade to a dump fade like the Gator provideth.

Haha, if you're not looking for a meat hook, then the Pig would not be a good choice anyway. Also, the Zones I've thrown (ESP) were definite meat hooks, although a D Zone might be okay. Possibly Harp or A2 might work for you; I've heard the A1 is pretty overstable.

Haha, if you're not looking for a meat hook, then the Pig would not be a good choice anyway. Also, the Zones I've thrown (ESP) were definite meat hooks, although a D Zone might be okay. Possibly Harp or A2 might work for you; I've heard the A1 is pretty overstable.

I'm definitely liking what I'm reading and hearing about the Harp.

And of course, I'm sure I'll throw it just like Ricky Wysocki does. ;)

A1 is Grade A beef. A2 isn't too far behind it. Still very OS. A2 can be put out with some distance but I've never thrown one past 315, barely hit 300, but I don't throw slow mids well. It as a touch more glide than the A1. I've never thrown a harp.

I'm definitely liking what I'm reading and hearing about the Harp.
And of course, I'm sure I'll throw it just like Ricky Wysocki does. ;)

I ordered a TP Harp and it came in today. Good grief! Infinite Discs was fast!

Harp feels great in my grubby paws. Can't wait to get it out to the course tomorrow and try it out. Results will be posted to the nearest Harp thread if I can find it....