• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Tern

166 and 175 are L winged thus very speed stable in the wind. Somewhat longer Beast like but for everything but more fade and flexing out of annies the Crank is the superior disc. Details of my first test with both molds in the Crank thread posted on this day. With that said the Tern in Champ is a very good disc when not thrown into front quarter winds. Not quite as great as the shorter slower Beast for straight shots and placement nor as reliable, straight and on average long as the Crank. Still a very formidable disc so it comes down to what you need, like and have in the bag what to use the Tern, Crank, D3, high PLH domey VIP King or something along those lines.

I have a starlite tern. It seems a lot like the regular star tern except that it floats upward easier and maybe glides even longer. I thought it might be ridiculously understable like a starlite valk I have, but it doesn't turn and burn.

logjammin said:
I have a starlite tern. It seems a lot like the regular star tern except that it floats upward easier and maybe glides even longer. I thought it might be ridiculously understable like a starlite valk I have, but it doesn't turn and burn.
I bought a 150 Star Valk thinking it would be the longest and flippiest Valk I'd ever thrown. It's the most overstable Valk I've ever thrown. I have no use for a very light overstable disc, so it will either be tuned, or collect dust.

PMantle said:
I bought a 150 Star Valk thinking it would be the longest and flippiest Valk I'd ever thrown. It's the most overstable Valk I've ever thrown. I have no use for a very light overstable disc, so it will either be tuned, or collect dust.

I used to pair 150 Star (stable) and Champ (understable) Valks. It was a nice combo, and covered all of my distance needs at the time. I have been seduced by high-speed understable discs, though - first the Champ Mamba, and now the Star Tern.

Low-160s Star Terns fly a lot like my old 150 Star Valks - nice tight S-curve, hyzer-flip to straight with fade, and anhyzers that (usually) come back or at least pan out. The Terns just fly farther.

PMantle said:
7ontheline said:
PMantle said:
When I go to DD in September, I am going to be on a mission to find a more stable(yes, I'm one of those) Renegade. Hope to find some higher PLH ones than what I have, but still be close to or under 170.

I played minis tonight with a guy who said his bio-fusion renegades were more stable than his lucids.
Interesting. Not taken a chance on a bio since I assumed the opposite.

this is the same for the trespass (for me at least)

ranger said:
PMantle said:
7ontheline said:
PMantle said:
When I go to DD in September, I am going to be on a mission to find a more stable(yes, I'm one of those) Renegade. Hope to find some higher PLH ones than what I have, but still be close to or under 170.

I played minis tonight with a guy who said his bio-fusion renegades were more stable than his lucids.
Interesting. Not taken a chance on a bio since I assumed the opposite.

this is the same for the trespass (for me at least)
For me(limited number obviously) Lucid is more stable than bio in both Renegade and Trespass. Been throwing Terns more lately though.

I like stable champ Mamba's better. They're out there...they have significantly higher PLH. I have 3, handpicked for that reason. They're even stable enough to do long sweeping hyzers, in no or low wind conditions. You don't get the S curve flight with them, like the Tern. They're straighter and more controllable.

Sounds good. The Aries doesn't seem to have as sharp an edge as the Mamba. Maybe a spacer?

The Mamba has a very sharp edge, that's what makes it so fast with only a 2.0cm rim width. I noticed the TD2's I've looked at also have a blunter edge than the Mamba.

BentElbow11 said:
The Mamba has a very sharp edge, that's what makes it so fast with only a 2.0cm rim width. I noticed the TD2's I've looked at also have a blunter edge than the Mamba.

I wish I still had my TD2,you had to put a bit more mustard on it to Turn it over,but man was it a good one. Mamba is great too. My buddy got me into throwing one. Seemed like a great fit for my main bag and I was right. :D

I have another bag that I mess around with when I get a little too serious with my other bag.

My main distance driver is a Tern. I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have a love/hate relationship with this disc. Love it when it works,hate it when it doesn't. :p

I carry 2 Champions a G-Star and a Star. They all work great and will cover every shot I need even when powered down. Well except for the wooded shots that is.

If you guys haven't tried a G-Star yet you need to try it. If you have around 380ft of power with a Speed 10 disc then you will be getting some killer S-Shots and hyzerflips with G-Star. I love the plastic too.

Thanks for the tips on the Tern in different plastics. I don't like throwing any 'blizzard' or 'air' discs though. Also, I've tried the champ Tern and I think the Renegade owns it. You should try a Lucid Renegade at 170g or below. If you do, make sure you deflash it. That will really open up the glide and take some of the fade out.

BentElbow11 said:
I like stable champ Mamba's better. They're out there...they have significantly higher PLH. I have 3, handpicked for that reason. They're even stable enough to do long sweeping hyzers, in no or low wind conditions. You don't get the S curve flight with them, like the Tern. They're straighter and more controllable.

Be thankful for inconsistent production…Mamba is supposed to have a lower PLH by design, so you got some lucky shots. Sounds like they hit the sweet spot, but may be difficult to find in the long-term.

Agreed. The first Mamba I got was a very early production run when they first came out, with typically low PLH and it was very understable, as advertised. I had trouble controlling it even at 75% power. Then I found one at a store with significantly higher PLH, mixed in with the other Mambas. I managed to get a couple spares, same color and weight, so must have been from the same unusual run. These are slightly pearly, and the champ plastic is softer and more grippy, a little like their new champ stuff.

The stability/flight of these Mambas is closer to a champ Valkyrie than a Sidewinder.

Latest posts