• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Installing a basket beside a river

NoThingness

Eagle Member
I am looking at installing some baskets that will be located a short distance from the edge of a river. Digging a hole to the required depth of 2 ft may take us below the water table and could possible fill up at the bottom with water. This could create issues in mixing rhe cement to anchor the baskets in place.

And suggestions on how to do this properly?

I am looking at installing some baskets that will be located a short distance from the edge of a river. Digging a hole to the required depth of 2 ft may take us below the water table and could possible fill up at the bottom with water. This could create issues in mixing rhe cement to anchor the baskets in place.

I might suggest, that any basket, that has a reason why it cannot be properly installed, that reason, should make you rethink the installation.

Option A: Build up a 2' foundation on top of the land - elevated basket
- With this, I would move it further away from the edge of the river.

If the sleeve is installed sub-surface and the basket is installed at ground-level, the closest (I would) put it to the OB line is 10M.

Option B: If you don't want to do an elevated pin, you can install the sleeve inside a container. I've seen people use 5 gal buckets, XXXL drain tile, sono-tube, etc. If I were installing a sleeve with this method, I would make the hole wide enough to install concrete in the bucket as well as between the bucket and Earth.

Option A: Build up a 2' foundation on top of the land - elevated basket
- With this, I would move it further away from the edge of the river.

If the sleeve is installed sub-surface and the basket is installed at ground-level, the closest (I would) put it to the OB line is 10M.

Option B: If you don't want to do an elevated pin, you can install the sleeve inside a container. I've seen people use 5 gal buckets, XXXL drain tile, sono-tube, etc. If I were installing a sleeve with this method, I would make the hole wide enough to install concrete in the bucket as well as between the bucket and Earth.
Thank you. That helps alot. I can only work with the land the town is allowing me to use.

Don't worry about the detractors, they just want to start an argument. Chuck, in particular, thinks that water should never be in play on a hole lest one beginner lose their only disc and become so disgusted that they never play disc golf again.

The hole that you put the concrete in should be 24" deep and 6-8" in diameter. So here are some of suggestions:

1. Buy a cardboard cylinder that is 24x8" and pour the concrete into that, letting it set around the base of the pole or the sleeve depending on which you are using. Then, dig the hole at the location and put the preformed base (with cardboard cylinder removed) in the hole and tamp in dirt and sand around it.

2. Build up the area where you will put the basket so that digging into the built-up ground will allow the hole to be dug without reaching the water table.

3. Use a 24" long piece of 6" pvc drain pipe with plastic securely taped to the bottom. Dig the hole so that the pipe fits very snugly (tamp in sand around it to fill any voids) and then install the pole into pipe with concrete.

Any time I have run into this problem, I have just put dry mix into the hole and used the existing water for the concrete. I can take out some water if there is too much, but I've never had to.

Perhaps a discussion of liability should take place with the town. Baskets by rivers lead to golfers in the river. Golfers in the river lead to slips, falls and exposure to the water.

That isn't going to be a liability problem. Most disc golfers can handle water exposure without injury and rivers aren't generally considered to be liability risks. Cities have been putting human attracting things next to and above rivers for millennia.

Don't worry about the detractors, they just want to start an argument. Chuck, in particular, thinks that water should never be in play on a hole lest one beginner lose their only disc and become so disgusted that they never play disc golf again.

The hole that you put the concrete in should be 24" deep and 6-8" in diameter. So here are some of suggestions:

1. Buy a cardboard cylinder that is 24x8" and pour the concrete into that, letting it set around the base of the pole or the sleeve depending on which you are using. Then, dig the hole at the location and put the preformed base (with cardboard cylinder removed) in the hole and tamp in dirt and sand around it.

2. Build up the area where you will put the basket so that digging into the built-up ground will allow the hole to be dug without reaching the water table.

3. Use a 24" long piece of 6" pvc drain pipe with plastic securely taped to the bottom. Dig the hole so that the pipe fits very snugly (tamp in sand around it to fill any voids) and then install the pole into pipe with concrete.

Any time I have run into this problem, I have just put dry mix into the hole and used the existing water for the concrete. I can take out some water if there is too much, but I've never had to.

Many thanks for the reply. Great ideas here.

It's a matter of where water hazards should be located, not whether they should be allowed. Separate from disc loss or liability, the fact is a moving water hazard near a basket will slow play on the course while players try to fish out their discs. In addition, in a public park, the river may have some good fishing where non golfers set up along the bank.

As long as you can get a hole dug the excess water will not be an issue in installing the anchor. Concrete will set up under water.

It's a matter of where water hazards should be located, not whether they should be allowed. Separate from disc loss or liability, the fact is a moving water hazard near a basket will slow play on the course while players try to fish out their discs. In addition, in a public park, the river may have some good fishing where non golfers set up along the bank.

Fair enough, but the OP wasn't asking about whether to put a basket next to water.

Last edited:
Try not to use an elevated basket near water (especially a river). With the basket already close to the river, you have the dreaded 'death putt'. Add an elevated basket and the putts will become really nasty. The hole might become very slow as players do their best to make the putt without going in the river. I have seen this happen with a raised basket near the edge of a pond.

That isn't going to be a liability problem. Most disc golfers can handle water exposure without injury and rivers aren't generally considered to be liability risks. Cities have been putting human attracting things next to and above rivers for millennia.

Ed Headrick is rolling over in his grave...

When he visited Stevens Point WI after the instillation of the course at Meade (sp?) Park that is along the Wisconsin River, he really did not like the tee-pads that were along the river, so much so that at each one he threw/shanked/Richard drives into the river...
just to prove that rec players who do that are probably going to consider going in the river after them...
He did not want the baskets or tees near the river...

Put your groundsleeve in a 5 gallon bucket the same way as if it was a hole in the ground and pour your quikrete in. After it sets up install the bucket in the ground wherever you want it. You want to really pack the soil around the bucket - I used a sledge hammer.
The amount of concrete using a bucket is slightly more than the in ground method.
I did this for 1 hole and it worked fine. It is as solid as the other holes. If you ever have to move the hole, just dig it up and move it.

Probably right. But, I see few nature trails designed to have hikers ford the river. Few picnic areas with the parking across the river, with crossing the easiest of paths. Putting a pin next to a river, ensures some players are going to egress the body. Still seems like a willing decision, to expose knuckleheads to potential danger.

Ed Headrick is rolling over in his grave...

When he visited Stevens Point WI after the instillation of the course at Meade (sp?) Park that is along the Wisconsin River, he really did not like the tee-pads that were along the river, so much so that at each one he threw/shanked/Richard drives into the river...
just to prove that rec players who do that are probably going to consider going in the river after them...
He did not want the baskets or tees near the river...

sweet thats one overrated persons opinion

times change and dinosaurs die off

thankfully we have new ideas and new visions to expand our hobby