• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing new players to Disc Golf footage

MaxFlight

Eagle Member
So I've recruited a bunch of friend to the Disc Golf World. Today I brought a buddy/coworker out for his first round, and he loved it.
He's interested in checking out some professional Disc Golf footage, so I told him I'd find him a good one to watch.

I really want to find a great 18 holes for him. Doesn't matter if it's a first round, or final in a worlds... I do have a few ideas for footage to show him, but wanted to pick your brains for potentially better candidates.

Here's some criteria I think would be great to include to keep it entertaining (obviously not all of them together):

- Preferably BigSexy commentary (which also likely means JomezPro footage)
- Mcbeth vs. Wysocki battle
- Epic putting
- Score swings
- Nikko blowouts
- An Ace
- Course Record
- Beautiful Course design

Any ideas?

Final round of 2019 Worlds in Peoria. Epic Ricky vs. Paul battle. That's just the first one that came to mind, probably because I was there. :p

The DGLO from 2018 or 2019 where Paul shot 18 down or whatever it was would be a cool one too.

Those were just the 2 that popped into my head. Not sure where you live exactly, but if I was introducing someone to disc golf coverage, it would probably help to show them courses that they'd be used to seeing too. For example I'm from WI so I dig the wooded stuff. Idlewild, DGLO, Maple Hill, BSF etc. Probably best to showcase the pros playing what you'll be playing.

You can't go wrong with Jomez obviously, but GKpro has been killing it lately. CCDG, Gatekeeper, Anhyzer. Lots of good options out now. The GKpro skins are excellent in a more lighthearted way. If you can get over Luke's awful mustache.

Those were just the 2 that popped into my head. Not sure where you live exactly, but if I was introducing someone to disc golf coverage, it would probably help to show them courses that they'd be used to seeing too. For example I'm from WI so I dig the wooded stuff. Idlewild, DGLO, Maple Hill, BSF etc. Probably best to showcase the pros playing what you'll be playing.

You can't go wrong with Jomez obviously, but GKpro has been killing it lately. CCDG, Gatekeeper, Anhyzer. Lots of good options out now. The GKpro skins are excellent in a more lighthearted way. If you can get over Luke's awful mustache.

Unfortunately, very little coverage of any Disc Golf activity in BC, Canada. But yes, love all the GKpro, Gatekeeper, and CCDG stuff these days. I thought Jomez would be a great intro production for someone who's really into ball golf.

Try to find some local coverage as well. Always cool to see pros tear up the local courses.

Beaver State Fling has has multiple sudden-death playoffs over the years. Doesn't get much more exciting than that.

2014 Worlds at Milo. Find the round kind of in the middle of the tournament where Paul aces. I believe Doss was also on the card. It's CCDG, not Jomez, so you're not going to get Nate/Jerm commentary. However, Ian/CCDG was the guy who got top level DG coverage to where it is, imho. I'm still a big fan of Ian commentary, and Milo is a beautiful course to watch.

https://youtu.be/SSWY7kQUuaU

The one piece of media that sold me on the overall DG scene, and especially the broader pro-scene, was the 2nd Champs vs. Chumps. Everything about that felt, idk, *right*.

Last edited:
Another CCDG recommendation... 2015 Worlds Round 5. It features the top 4 players in the world at the time, McBeth, Wysocki, Schusterick, and Locastro. They're playing Moraine SP, a great Pittsburgh area course. It has some awesome play (and a cameo by my daughter and me). :)

Another CCDG recommendation... 2015 Worlds Round 5. It features the top 4 players in the world at the time, McBeth, Wysocki, Schusterick, and Locastro. They're playing Moraine SP, a great Pittsburgh area course. It has some awesome play (and a cameo by my daughter and me). :)

This one?

You absolutely can not go wrong with the 2019 Hall of Fame Classic. The Heimburg-Hammes duel.

That is the tourney footage that turned me from "I watch disc golf because I like playing and want to get better and that means I should probably watch" to "I'm a fan of watching disc golf coverage".

Any ideas?

One more thing that I think is beneficial is 5o find any pro footage on a course that is familiar to the new player. I don't know if there's anything like that available for courses in your region, but I spent a lot of time watching some relatively poor quality footage (coincidentally, it was early Jomez from May 2015) of McBeth, Sexton, and some local pros on one of my favorite local courses in Norman, Oklahoma. Watching pros throw their crazy lines is a big eye opener, whether on video of a familiar course or in person.