• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves

dbrodeanu

Bogey Member
Hello,

*Apologies if another thread of this exists/existed, but I could not find it in my search of the forum search function.*

So, today I decided that while I was in the area of the course that after my cousin's birthday lunch I would get some rounds in since the weather here in Oregon has been the best its been in almost 5 years for Memorial weekend - why not get some disc golf sessions in and enjoy the good weather, right?

Well, that idea did not last long after my first round of 9 holes at the course.

Upon finishing up my first 9 holes of the course I was hit met with these:

- A group (about 6+) all together, holding up the course as they all wanted to play together.
- A group that continued to cut in front (jump straight to hole 4), only to be caught up to later on.
- A group that decided they were going to just aimlessly throw discs around and waste time.
- A group that seemed to want to be on my tail however, did not want to take up my offer of letting them go ahead of me.
- A bunch of people walking in the middle of the course along the paths without a care for disc golfers.
- A bunch of kids who though the best place to play was right in front of a tee pad.

All this, at just one course. Now, I would have gone to the other course however, when I drove by it on my way home I saw three, THREE groups of 6-8 people in them waiting in line for their turn to start the course - THREE! Sadly, I had to forgo that course because I was not really interested in finishing the course and then having to be stuck behind these groups and shoot through (I like to take my time and I feel rushed when people let me play through).

Anyways, what are some of your pet peeves that you've encountered through your years of playing this sport? These are basically my major pet peeves after coming back to the sport and I only really see it at these two courses - these two courses are kind of in a bad part of the this city and are usually have some sketchy people in them.

Cheers!

Hello,

*Apologies if another thread of this exists/existed, but I could not find it in my search of the forum search function.*

So, today I decided that while I was in the area of the course that after my cousin's birthday lunch I would get some rounds in since the weather here in Oregon has been the best its been in almost 5 years for Memorial weekend - why not get some disc golf sessions in and enjoy the good weather, right?

Well, that idea did not last long after my first round of 9 holes at the course.

- A group (about 6+) all together, holding up the course as they all wanted to play together.
- A group that continued to cut in front (jump straight to hole 4), only to be caught up to later on.
- A group that decided they were going to just aimlessly throw discs around and waste time.
- A group that seemed to want to be on my tail however, did not want to take up my offer of letting them go ahead of me.
- A bunch of people walking in the middle of the course along the paths without a care for disc golfers.
- A bunch of kids who though the best place to play was right in front of a tee pad.

All this, at just one course. Now, I would have gone to the other course however, when I drove by it on my way home I saw three, THREE groups of 6-8 people in them waiting in line for their turn to start the course - THREE! Sadly, I had to forgo that course because I was not really interested in finishing the course and then having to be stuck behind these groups and shoot through (I like to take my time and I feel rushed when people let me play through).

Anyways, what are some of your pet peeves that you've encountered through your years of playing this sport? These are basically my major pet peeves after coming back to the sport and I only really see it at these two courses - these two courses are kind of in a bad part of the this city and are usually have some sketchy people in them.

Cheers!

Are you really just upset because you have no one to play with? A single on a busy course is ALWAYS going to have a hard time and in my view they have no standing on the course.

I met a really old guy with a really old brown lab. He was wearing a hunter-orange hooded ski parka. He was sticking to the path. I said good morning to him and he smiled. Didn't have a tooth in his head. He commented on the wind and said he would stick to bowling. I agreed and said that if you had a problem with wind in a bowling alley you had a real problem.

Hello,

Cheers!

Sounds like everybody else was having a great time. And there's one disgruntled disc golfer.

Hello,

Cheers!

This is what "grow the sport" looks like.

Thursday mornings I have to wake up early to take trash out (can't put it out the night before because bears). Unless I didn't get any sleep or the weather is just abominable I got throw a round. I usually play like crap because I'm still half asleep and I almost always play one of the hard layouts, but whatever. Usually the only other person I see is the city employee who drains the portapotty.

Current pet peeves- discs with no contact info, players who register for events with an incorrect email in DGS, players who don't read their email (this has replaced players talking during player's meetings since we no longer have player's meetings).

Disc golf in multi-use settings is heading up the charts with a bullet though.

Hello,

Cheers!

If I was you, I would blame your cousin for having a birthday lunch so close to busy courses full of individuals from your list. Next time ask your cousin if he/she could have their annual birthday lunch in a different state. That way you can bag some new courses. Or just walk up to these groups and start talking to them in the style of Shakespeare. They probably won't follow to closely after that. Mainly because nobody really likes Shakespeare style speaking.:popcorn:

Current pet peeves- discs with no contact info, players who register for events with an incorrect email in DGS, players who don't read their email (this has replaced players talking during player's meetings since we no longer have player's meetings).

Disc golf in multi-use settings is heading up the charts with a bullet though.

I miss talking during player's meetings. Stupid pandemic!

That reminds me. Pet peeve: reading aloud the hole info from the caddie book in players meetings. We can read, right? Or are we trying to commit all this in our memory. "Remember what the dude said about hole #13 two hours ago?"

Also, pet peeve: not letting people enjoy the game as they wish (as long as their way is reasonably courteous). Dude wants to play solo? Let him. Is he going to have to wait a whole lot? Perhaps.

You play on maintained courses? Lucky.

I guess one of my pet peeves would be throwing a beautiful shot that lands dead center in the fairway and they looking for my disc in knee deep grass and weeds for ten minutes.

Well that's kind of your fault for living on a mountain. What peeves me is not being able to play on a mountain. It's literally sledding hills in these parts. ;)

Latest posts