• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Annoying fast players behind you

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
More of a rant.
Was playing solo today with no one on the course. I was walking towards hole 2 when i see a guy pull up, gets out of his car and within 4 seconds throws a disc at the practice basket, car door still open.
On hole 3 i heard him make his putt on hole 1 and see him speed walking to hole 2. I'm the type of guy who likes to enjoy my time and analyze shots so i waited for him, and offered him to play through. He responds "nah im good." The entire round after i finish a hole, he'd speed through it and wait on the tee pad as i played. Felt like he was breathing down my neck and kinda ruined my round.

What do ya'll think. Do you let these people get in your head? Do you ever feel pressured by faster groups who refuse to play through for whatever reason?

I'd have no problem getting him to just pass me honestly. Did you just sit down and tell him you're taking a breather or anything. He'd probably just play through.

I've never had this problem tbh. It's always been the complete opposite. I'm usually the asshole that's catching up to you after each hole, just hoping you'll ask if I want to play through. It doesn't get in my head, but it seems like it's always the worst hole to let me play through on. I hit the first available, wife does the same, we can't find either drive and proceed to take 6's or we can't find a disc and just have them play through only to be stuck behind them the rest of the round. This is FAR more common in my experience.

When that happens to me on my home course I just sit and wait. Usually I just pull out my phone and start watching a video or play a game. I'm also usually the guy taking 6-10 shots at a time so I just say that I'm going really slow, never had anyone say 'nah I wanna be riding your ass the whole round' o_O

Yep, outside of tournament play, I've never encountered anyone who declined being asked if they want to play through. Of course, me & my buddy are the 'fast' players around here (we don't rush, we just play prepared and don't overthink the situation at the last moment), and usually get stuck behind a player or group who won't let us play through. We know our local courses, and will often try to judge the speed of groups in play as we arrive, and try to start our round wherever the biggest gap of holes presents itself. In tournament play, we have TD's who try to slow us down by putting us on the biggest card...

Last year, three friends and I were playing doubles at a heavily wooded course without many disc golfers. Halfway through our round, we encounter a single female disc golfer who arrived near the Hole #11 teepad shortly after we did. We offered to let her play through, and she declined. So for the next couple holes, she was literally waiting at the teepad shortly after we had thrown and started walking down the fairway. After a couple holes of this nonsense, we got stuck on Hole #13 looking for a disc. We intentionally stayed far from the fairway and were relieved when she teed off on Hole #13. We politely kept our distance as she finished the hole ... and then she WALKED BACK UP THE FAIRWAY to the Hole #13 teepad instead of proceeding to the next hole. So we ended up playing the remainder of the round with her showing up and lurking on the teepad as soon as we were halfway down the fairway. Bizarre behavior. And yes, it definitely affected my head space.

I wonder if the folks who don't want to play through are playing the course for the first time? If so they may be willing to follow you around to make navigation easier, figure out where the basket is, etc.

We know our local courses, and will often try to judge the speed of groups in play as we arrive, and try to start our round wherever the biggest gap of holes presents itself.

It's very rare that I play #1 to the final hole in order and often I'll loop around and play some holes a second time to give the knots time to create some open holes in front of me.

There is one guy who will show up behind me out of nowhere occasionally. His body language makes it look like he thinks I'm the slowest player in the universe. He'll stomp back and forth on the teepad until I finish the hole. Turns out that he is about the most friendly guy I've ever met, and seems to be completely unaware of making me feel rushed.

Groups behind me almost always get in my head. It's just a reflex thing I guess - not wanting to hold anyone up, but also really enjoying the solitude when playing alone.

I waved a couple of guys through during a round last week because they seemed to be playing pretty fast. Of course, as soon as I did, they slowed down. And then I saw another single a hole behind me. That's like the worst of all worlds for me!

Luckily, the single behind me jumped ahead after a hole or two, and I really slowed down so I wouldn't be crawling up the backs of the two I let through. All this hassle - on a Thursday morning in January in NJ.

I agree it's bizarre to not want to play through, but I've had it happen. As suggested it's their first time playing and they're using me as a guide.
I've never been denied playing through a bigger slower group, but sometimes I have to catch them and ask.

Players doing their own thing are just the worst.
Playing the course backward. Skipping around. Playing from one tee to the basket on another hole.
WTF are you doing? We're on this hole, there shouldn't be discs coming in from random directions.
Being unpredictable is dangerous, disruptive and inconsiderate for everyone else on the course.

More of a rant.
Was playing solo today with no one on the course. I was walking towards hole 2 when i see a guy pull up, gets out of his car and within 4 seconds throws a disc at the practice basket, car door still open.
On hole 3 i heard him make his putt on hole 1 and see him speed walking to hole 2. I'm the type of guy who likes to enjoy my time and analyze shots so i waited for him, and offered him to play through. He responds "nah im good." The entire round after i finish a hole, he'd speed through it and wait on the tee pad as i played. Felt like he was breathing down my neck and kinda ruined my round.

What do ya'll think. Do you let these people get in your head? Do you ever feel pressured by faster groups who refuse to play through for whatever reason?
Lol its super weird to not play through in the situation described.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I haven't seen anything like that lol. It is super common for me to end up playing the rest of a round with other people that I come up on, or when they catch me though.

Lol its super weird to not play through in the situation described.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I haven't seen anything like that lol. It is super common for me to end up playing the rest of a round with other people that I come up on, or when they catch me though.
Yea it was weird. There are definitely tons of rounds i join people. When the course is dead and im just out hanging out with my dog, i really enjoy taking my time and enjoying the moment instead of socializing.

Who says no to playing through? If I am offered it I assume they felt some sort of pressure by me being behind them so I pass.

Sounds like an odd situation.

Others, don't really have anything to do with my joy of disc golfing. I simply don't worry about what others are doing. Play music, throw 3 discs, scream and yell, stop and smoke down...... I am more than happy to take whatever action I need to keep having fun.

Others, don't really have anything to do with my joy of disc golfing. I simply don't worry about what others are doing. Play music, throw 3 discs, scream and yell, stop and smoke down...... I am more than happy to take whatever action I need to keep having fun.
True. This situation was kinda like driving in the right lane just cruising, then someone starts riding your booty with high beams on refusing to go in the passing lane.

Takes two to tango. Just walk off and come back after he throws. If he wants to sit there all day, IDK...

More of a rant.

Take a seat, and take a break so they know to play through. Or play the round together. I like my solo rounds personally. They don't happen that often.

I'm usually the asshole that's catching up to you after each hole, just hoping you'll ask if I want to play through. It doesn't get in my head, but it seems like it's always the worst hole to let me play through on. I hit the first available, wife does the same, we can't find either drive and proceed to take 6's or we can't find a disc and just have them play through only to be stuck behind them the rest of the round. This is FAR more common in my experience.
Been there, done that. 😳

I can attest to this.
Ru4's never let my lousy round, ruin his day. 😉

What really grinds my gears is when there is only a few of us on the course, I'm playing slow for various reasons and the solo guy a few holes ahead tries to play slower. I don't want to play through, my knee hurts and I'm in no hurry. So I have to sit, look at my phone, let him get a few holes between us and then he starts throwing multiple shots and putts, playing slow again. This has happened far more often than fast guy playing behind me.