• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Ion vs Pure

I threw a Pure for about 4 to 5 rounds, they are very glidey, and thats why I hated putting with them. I used the Ion about 2 years ago, and switched to the voodoo, Now I am back to the ion. It is a little bit harder to get used to putting, but once you get it they are MOney. I use on for my understable mid spot too.

Write your own dictionary. I'll continue to use Mirriam-Webster's.

An overstable disc that flies the "L" or "C" are a change in motion. That's an INstability, not stability. The term "more stable" technically means more resistant to change, not less.

Tbird let's all not get into this on this thread. We all have argued this exact thing like 5 times so we should just be content disagreeing. Your argument that a disc that stays in a dead straight line is the most stable is good. I think our argument that a disc is more stable the more it resists turning makes more sense because flippier discs are more unstable as it is harder to predict exactly how they will fly or where they will land. As a bonus I think it is easier to say this disc is more or less stable than this other disc you have thrown before/are comparing to instead of this disc is slightly overstable and this one is a hair understable etc. etc.

Tbird let's all not get into this on this thread. We all have argued this exact thing like 5 times so we should just be content disagreeing. Your argument that a disc that stays in a dead straight line is the most stable is good. I think our argument that a disc is more stable the more it resists turning makes more sense because flippier discs are more unstable as it is harder to predict exactly how they will fly or where they will land. As a bonus I think it is easier to say this disc is more or less stable than this other disc you have thrown before/are comparing to instead of this disc is slightly overstable and this one is a hair understable etc. etc.

Let's not bring this up here, but let me tell you about the other side of the argument. Good one! :thmbup:

Let's not bring this up here, but let me tell you about the other side of the argument. Good one! :thmbup:

Just in case you forgot how awesome my argument is lol. I can't help but argue...I'm an addict.

regardless of whats right or wrong, most people would say more stable = more overstable and less stable = more understable.

But both are fine and everyone know what everyone means.

I'm in complete agreement with tbird888's original statement, however I did have to FTFH.

:p

:hfive:

That's a fix I can approve.

Had to add my own change. You refer to me in the third person earlier in the sentence, but you mentioned for whom you fixed it in first person. :D

For the sake of disagreeing the Ion is great and the Pure is a glidey mess.

:hfive:

That's a fix I can approve.

Had to add my own change. You refer to me in the third person earlier in the sentence, but you mentioned for whom you fixed it in first person. :D

HA! I KNEW that was gonna come up. DAMN IT!! :doh:

A+

I have spent a lot of time with both. I have thrown the ION in every plastic except Neutron. I have thrown the Pure in every plastic except Zero Hard. at the end of the day it's all about what feels better in your hand. For a long time I felt like the ION was a better putter but the truth may be that it was always me. I'm solid Pure now just for mold consistency and I like the lower profile feel.

You cannot go wrong with either disc. with these two it truly is more about preference of feel.

MVP Ion Proton. Hands Down. End of thread...

OK, I should try a Pure too! ;)

But I fell in love with the Ion on first grip and haven't really looked back. I don't use it much for driving, but that is probably my mistake. I have been trying it lately off the tee for 250ish distances, and it has been more accurate than my Mid ranges a lot of time.

What I hear a lot is the Pure is the best putter around off the Tee, so I really need to try that, maybe I can stop messing around trying to find the perfect Mid and just use the Pure...

Last edited:
The one thing I kind of have an issue with on driving off the tee with the Ion is the grip. I love that rim when I've got my fingers spread out under it and am putting with feel, but I find it less natural to get my standard driving "Power grip", with 4 fingers on the rim. That is a problem I have with a lot of putters though. The exception being the Breaker I have which I would use for short drives in windy conditions, and has a nice rim for driving IMO.

Which is a better overall disc for putting and driving?

I ha e not thrown the Pure but based on what I ha e heard about it I think it would compare to the Anode more.

Both the Ion and Anode are great for putts, approaches and drives. I can tell you they are each a bit deeper than the Pure, and I would expect them to hold up in wind a little better as well.

I think I only saw one person mention it in passing, but the Ion has a bead. I don't like beads so it wasn't for me.

Went to a Opto Pure for straight line laser approach shots and it's money every time.

Putt with a Swan 1 though. Almost exactly the shape of a Pure (feels exact in the hand) but slightly less stable which works with my loft putting.

Latest posts