• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tech disc test driven development

I don't know any of the details, which are presumably proprietary. But i can at least imagine that if the accelerometers can measure precisely 9.81m/s/s for a short period of time then they can assume they're stationary, and then any additional accelerations they subsequently pick up can be calibrated from there to give speed and other metrics.

GPS would be nowhere near accurate enough, so it's all done with accelerometers and a bit of clever maths.

The circled joints / knuckles are called the DIP joint.
thumbnail.pngalbert tamm dip flexion.png

wysocki-dip-extension.png

In climbing, on small holds (crimps) where only your finger tips can fit, it's common to move from the left to the right grip positions the closer you get to your limit / needing max grip power. To me, the DIP extension disc golf power grip as more similarities to the stronger crimp grips in climbing.

The open hand grip in climbing feels like the forces are working to uncurl your fingers as you reach your limit, whereas the full and closed crimps feel like you are locked in and slip when friction / force angles change rather than fingers being forced open.

climbing grps.jpeg
stats compared 2.png
The wobble increase on the DIP flexion grip may reduce if I get more used to that grip.
Many big arm pros use DIP joint flexion power grips and don't seem to have an issue with it's power, but it definitely doesn't feel as powerful to me as the DIP joint extension grip and is a bit harder for me to fully commit to max power when using DIP joint flexion.

The circled joints / knuckles are called the DIP joint.
View attachment 339137View attachment 339140

View attachment 339139

In climbing, on small holds (crimps) where only your finger tips can fit, it's common to move from the left to the right grip positions the closer you get to your limit / needing max grip power. To me, the DIP extension disc golf power grip as more similarities to the stronger crimp grips in climbing.

The open hand grip in climbing feels like the forces are working to uncurl your fingers as you reach your limit, whereas the full and closed crimps feel like you are locked in and slip when friction / force angles change rather than fingers being forced open.

View attachment 339141
View attachment 339143
The wobble increase on the DIP flexion grip may reduce if I get more used to that grip.
Many big arm pros use DIP joint flexion power grips and don't seem to have an issue with it's power, but it definitely doesn't feel as powerful to me as the DIP joint extension grip and is a bit harder for me to fully commit to max power when using DIP joint flexion.

I think a lot depends on the angle of the finger-ends in flexion. Imagine if you could get right around the disc, with the first knuckle actually touching the underside of the disc (fingertips on the inside rim). It would be almost impossible for someone to pull the disc out of your hand.

But if you're in flexion with the finger-ends at 90 degrees to that (fingertips on the flight plate next to the rim, more like in your flexion photo) that would be much much less strong. Somewhere in between would have a grip strength somewhere in between, i think.

Basically, if the force ripping the disc out is orthogonal to the flexion in that last joint, it would be weak, but if the force is directed along that last bone then it would be the strength of the next joint that matters, and i think that's probably a lot stronger.

Thats a really cool observation but do the three other fingers beside the index finger matter that much for power on the disc when the index finger is the pivot point? Extension gets more nose down as it pushes the back of the disc up but it feels weird as hell.

Tech disc records the path of the disc, does the path it rips out change between the two grips?

Thats a really cool observation but do the three other fingers beside the index finger matter that much for power on the disc when the index finger is the pivot point? Extension gets more nose down as it pushes the back of the disc up but it feels weird as hell.

Tech disc records the path of the disc, does the path it rips out change between the two grips?
That's my thought. Get the index finger in a powerful position and the other three fingers are somewhat along for the ride. The others are there to support the disc and help control the nose angle

Ricky's grip and the extension grip seem like a variation of the Climo "split-fork" grip. The idea is that the non-index fingers are pushing up against vs. pulling into palm. Either way, the idea is to get the other three fingers out of the way to pivot around the index (assuming a front-loaded grip)

This obviously changes for, say, a fan grip

(ETA: interestingly, I learned the power grip with the index and pinky in extension and the middle and ring fingers in flexion. Not sure if that has changed or not. I use the Climo grip, anyway, since I've never been comfortable with the power grip)

I plan to test it again with max power throws and also test a 2 finger grip to see the spin comparison and power comparison but when I tried a few max power throws with more finger curl (DIP joint flexion) it felt harder to get max power. Maybe my body just didn't want to commit fully because it felt like the grip wasn't as strong.

When I first got the tech disc I thought I'd get more spin with a 2 finger power grip because it seems like a more pure pivot point, but in some early casual tests it was less spin for me. I think the back fingers help solidify the disc in place so that it's easier to prevent it from moving too soon and then once the back fingers pop off you get the pivot point at the front whereas with a 2 fingers grip, your pivot point is more susceptible to be compromised by also having to strain to secure the disc without the added support from the back fingers.

However, I don't normally try to do a lot of late wrist curl in my throw, but I believe it can help to improve grip strength on the disc indirectly by delaying the final pivot point by pocketing the disc behind the hand for longer so the the moment of max grip strength required is both delayed and shorted to a smaller period of time due to the delay. So late wrist curl may be more important for a 2 finger grip to make it easier to hold on. However, even without it, I'm confident I can hit close to my max speed with a 2 finger grip since my fingers have rock climbing conditioning from the past and my favorite climbs were the ones with small holds, like how the rim is a small edge. Also, for max grip strength in a 2 finger grip, I would not curl the middle finger.

Gossage looks like his middle finger doesn't curl though. A potential grip power increase by reducing DIP joint flexion may be more noticeable in a 2 finger grip. The middle finger really needs to lock into place and hold the disc securely and more curl doesn't have that "locked in" feeling from the joints because the forces feel like they are peeling open the curl as opposed to the forces being met and supported by locked knuckles. In fact, the forces even feel like they contribute to a deeper locking in of the knuckles so that the fail point becomes friction being overcome. This is how it feels to me in climbing when comparing the open hand grip vs full crimp.

1715013693905.png

Last edited:
Here is Innova's glossary of terms. Don't need to treat that like a holy book obviously, just know you like terms.

Watching the DDO tournament and the super confusing comments reminded me of this again.

at 8:10

Calvin throws this hyzer shot that flips due to huge headwind and Jeremy exclaims "who throws a forced anhyzer into that headwind...??"

1715040362384.png

To make things worse, your linked glossary and the jomez pro glossary have conflicting definitions of some of the terms which is probably why many people you meet use them differntly:

Jomez Glossary:
(weirdly they also sometimes say the somewhat ambiguous phrase "hook up") instead of simply saying "fade" or something else.

Force-over
an anhyzer release with a overstable disc, relying on the stability of the disc to hook up

Flex Shot (S-curve)
shot type starting on a hyzer angle to slowly turn right and then fade to the left for a RHBH, completing an S-shape in flight

Innova Glossary:

Flex Shot

A Flex Shot is performed by throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the overstability of the disc turns the disc back to the left. It is a very common shot that pros use

S-Shot

An S-Shot is thrown using an understable disc to the left side of the fairway. The turn of the disc causes it to turn over and fly to the right side of the fairway. As the disc slows down it fades back to the left.

To me, force over just sounds like it's an overstable disc being forced to turn by releasing it on anhyzer, hence you have to force it since it's beefy it won't turn without being forced. But, funny enough, pros also force overstable discs to turn from hyzer releases too like in the big distance comps.

Flex shot sounded like a synonym to force over to me because the word 'flex' and 'force' from 'force over' kind of sound like they go together, you flex (muscle it) to force something. Or, the word 'flex' is describing the S curve shape as in it's "flexing one way and then flexing back the other way". But if flex is referring to the S shape then it could still be hyzer release to S curve like the jomez definition.

I doubt the commentators would call it that but I also watch it on mute so maybe they have been.
I wouldn't doubt anything since they just called a hyzer release shot that turned due to headwind a force over and proceed to wonder why Calvin would intentionally choose to "force it over" when he clearly didn't.. lol

As a professional disc golf commentator, I must defend people saying stupid things. Sometimes, we must keep talking, even when there's not much to say, and things happen fast, so you cannot expect everything said to make sense. Usually we watch the same video as you (without pausing and freeze frames) and come up with the stuff on the fly. I know some commentators write their "improvised" stuff and plan ahead, but I'm sure Jomez doesn't have time for that.

I urge everyone to try and talk for a couple of hours straight on a video watching disc golf without saying something that ended up not being entirely true. Do it.

As a professional disc golf commentator, I must defend people saying stupid things. Sometimes, we must keep talking, even when there's not much to say, and things happen fast, so you cannot expect everything said to make sense. Usually we watch the same video as you (without pausing and freeze frames) and come up with the stuff on the fly. I know some commentators write their "improvised" stuff and plan ahead, but I'm sure Jomez doesn't have time for that.

I urge everyone to try and talk for a couple of hours straight on a video watching disc golf without saying something that ended up not being entirely true. Do it.
If I talked for a couple hours straight over a disc golf video I'd tank that brand faster than they could issue an apology.

Watching the DDO tournament and the super confusing comments reminded me of this again.
This all made me think about how I used to react to Cris Collinsworth commentating the NFL.

There was a season or two where it was like he had just learned the phrase "RPO," and I swear I heard him say it several dozen times during every broadcoast. It probably wasn't that many, but it felt that way.

And then of course for years he shamelessly professed his love for the 7X, and he would say "TOM Braaady" over and over again. Such was his love that he would say "TOM Braaady" even in games that neither featured him nor had anything to do with him.

But you know what? Now that TOM Braaady isn't in the NFL I miss Collinsworth saying it sometimes.

Calvin throws this hyzer shot that flips due to huge headwind and Jeremy exclaims "who throws a forced anhyzer into that headwind...??"

View attachment 339171

To make things worse, your linked glossary and the jomez pro glossary have conflicting definitions of some of the terms which is probably why many people you meet use them differntly:

Jomez Glossary:
Flex Shot (S-curve)

shot type starting on a hyzer angle to slowly turn right and then fade to the left for a RHBH, completing an S-shape in flight

Innova Glossary:

Flex Shot

A Flex Shot is performed by throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the overstability of the disc turns the disc back to the left. It is a very common shot that pros use

I wanted to make your worse even worse - what if the disc is not only flipping over because of the headwind, but because Calvin knows his discs and implicitly or explicitly understands which one will flip at what speed to what degree in which headwinds etc.?

I'm a lot like you in a few ways, so I think for a year or two I sort of ignored what the commentators said because I started to notice these things and where the language didn't meet what was happening to the naked eye, then eventually just developed my own internal thoughts. Then when I came back and watched more Uli and Jerm (or whomever) they felt more like Collinsworth - I kind of like the hamminess and jabs and occasionally weird phrase and comparing what they say with what we all see on camera. I don't really "fault" anyone because like @Jaani is saying everything's happening fast, these dudes just played a full round of pro golf, and they're moonlighting the commentary. But as an amateur trying to understand what the hell is actually going on sometimes requires independent "homework" if you care to know. If you don't have regular access to pros it can be hard, and even then I'm never 100% sure the words all mean the same thing to two different people. I mean even in some areas of science that's true, so why wouldn't it be the case in less constrained environments? You literally get concensus papers from time to time in science where a lot of people hash out their semantic baggage, and even then they still usually end with lists of caveats and currently irreconcilable differences.

I kept your Innova vs. Jomez Flex shot glossary example because that's exactly annoying to someone who wants to be clear, and it's personally annoying to me because I tended to use a different term to describe one of those definitions in my own head. So I guess I am happy to drop any terms and just think about the release angle, trajectory, intended apex out of the hand like Sidewinder tends to since it simplifies the "human" part of the problem for throwing objects more generally even if you prefer different framing concepts or details. Then there is the very complex interaction of the disc with those variables plus the wind etc. that I still only partly understand but the Aerodynamics thread is helping me.

9da32d0daaa9a9c7b28fc0627b5e9d4f.png

McBeth also talks about the Apex as the aiming point here. I am curious if every pro does this whether they realize it or not - it certainly looks like most tend to to me in their preshot routines. I noticed over time that I am always automatically thinking about the apex of my putter shots - I barely even look at the basket once I understand where it is. I just trust the apical aiming point, distance, and disc. I literally visualize the apex like Paul is talking about there - disc orientation at the apex included. Some discs will fade, some will stall and drop, some will continue to turn over out of the apex. I don't really have to think about it at all for the discs I use the most because it becomes more automatic over time. If a hole or line are new I'll stand there staring longer trying to figure out where the apex is, then when that is "solved" I just tee off. My preshot routine feels like it takes forever when that extra bit of "analysis" happens but my cardmates said they don't even notice it, which is an interesting internal perception thing.

Putters are great learning tools because they tend to have simple flight characteristics, but there's a lot more to the game. For drivers things are more complex and my brain and body clearly still need to learn a lot more there. Since my outdoor practice time is basically limited to rounds these days, I tend to still KISS and prefer throwing hyzer(flips) of one kind or another since I intuitively better understand how to move to make them happen better and better over time and they're close to what I do with my indoor drive practice, then it's more just about learning the speed/disc/flight path interaction, which could take a lifetime.

Since I have always trended extreme hyzer and my misses are usually early releases due to posture collapse or blocks more than WTF Richards these days, I am usually working with drivers that start with flip going left-to-right and then either keep turning or fade back. I do think there are obvious advantages to a more overstable game but forcing my body to do that has always been harder than starting on hyzer and then recently working to tone it down when needed/use more OS where it makes sense, etc. Interestingly I still find throwing true flat or true anhyzer release angles much easier from a standstill, and I'm usually using my X-step when I want more "free" power anyway.

I have a friend who started out only being able to throw true anhyzer because he couldn't brace at all who tries to convince everyone to throw flat. He noticed that I tend to overcomplicate some shots and convinced me that there are indeed real situations where throwing flatter with a simpler flight path will benefit me, so I am learning from him - but we compromised at me throwing less harsh hyzers, which as he put it "is fine as long as you do whatever you are doing consistently" :). I told him part of the reason that I didn't want to throw flat was not just stubbornness - I get hurt faster when I try to throw truly flat release angles no matter how I am moving, and especially as I approach driving speeds.

Everyone's a little different and everyone probably finds compromises between their tendencies and what is "ideal" as their game develops, I'd expect.

If I talked for a couple hours straight over a disc golf video I'd tank that brand faster than they could issue an apology.
I'm pretty sure after 30 minutes I would start saying crap like

"Wow, Paul has pretty long legs for his height. Is he a 30" inseam or a sneaky 34"?"

"You know, sometimes you gotta drive AND upshot AND putt for dough."

"Well, it looks like this hole is pretty much mopped up, and what else is new? These women are excellent. You know, Steve West did an analysis suggesting that there are in fact no convincingy statistical differences between people that fans call 'woods players' and 'open course players' on tour. But he didn't publish it because he was worried it would upset people. Do you think we should call him now?"

"It looked like on that shot he had slightly more anterior pelvic tilt than we're used to seeing which impeded his space through the pocket and led to some collapsing posture and compensation on the front side, but we'd have to rewind the tape and show you framewise. Jerm, go get some beers because this is going to take a while to explain."

Last edited:
This all made me think about how I used to react to Cris Collinsworth commentating the NFL.

There was a season or two where it was like he had just learned the phrase "RPO," and I swear I heard him say it several dozen times during every broadcoast. It probably wasn't that many, but it felt that way.

And then of course for years he shamelessly professed his love for the 7X, and he would say "TOM Braaady" over and over again. Such was his love that he would say "TOM Braaady" even in games that neither featured him nor had anything to do with him.

But you know what? Now that TOM Braaady isn't in the NFL I miss Collinsworth saying it sometimes.

I wanted to make your worse even worse - what if the disc is not only flipping over because of the headwind, but because Calvin knows his discs and implicitly or explicitly understands which one will flip at what speed to what degree in which headwinds etc.?

I'm a lot like you in a few ways, so I think for a year or two I sort of ignored what the commentators said because I started to notice these things and where the language didn't meet what was happening to the naked eye, then eventually just developed my own internal thoughts. Then when I came back and watched more Uli and Jerm (or whomever) they felt more like Collinsworth - I kind of like the hamminess and jabs and occasionally weird phrase and comparing what they say with what we all see on camera. I don't really "fault" anyone because like @Jaani is saying everything's happening fast, these dudes just played a full round of pro golf, and they're moonlighting the commentary. But as an amateur trying to understand what the hell is actually going on sometimes requires independent "homework" if you care to know. If you don't have regular access to pros it can be hard, and even then I'm never 100% sure the words all mean the same thing to two different people. I mean even in some areas of science that's true, so why wouldn't it be the case in less constrained environments? You literally get concensus papers from time to time in science where a lot of people hash out their semantic baggage, and even then they still usually end with lists of caveats and currently irreconcilable differences.

I kept your Innova vs. Jomez Flex shot glossary example because that's exactly annoying to someone who wants to be clear, and it's personally annoying to me because I tended to use a different term to describe one of those definitions in my own head. So I guess I am happy to drop any terms and just think about the release angle, trajectory, intended apex out of the hand like Sidewinder tends to since it simplifies the "human" part of the problem for throwing objects more generally even if you prefer different framing concepts or details. Then there is the very complex interaction of the disc with those variables plus the wind etc. that I still only partly understand but the Aerodynamics thread is helping me.

9da32d0daaa9a9c7b28fc0627b5e9d4f.png

McBeth also talks about the Apex as the aiming point here. I am curious if every pro does this whether they realize it or not - it certainly looks like most tend to to me in their preshot routines. I noticed over time that I am always automatically thinking about the apex of my putter shots - I barely even look at the basket once I understand where it is. I just trust the apical aiming point, distance, and disc. I literally visualize the apex like Paul is talking about there - disc orientation at the apex included. Some discs will fade, some will stall and drop, some will continue to turn over out of the apex. I don't really have to think about it at all for the discs I use the most because it becomes more automatic over time. If a hole or line are new I'll stand there staring longer trying to figure out where the apex is, then when that is "solved" I just tee off. My preshot routine feels like it takes forever when that extra bit of "analysis" happens but my cardmates said they don't even notice it, which is an interesting internal perception thing.

Putters are great learning tools because they tend to have simple flight characteristics, but there's a lot more to the game. For drivers things are more complex and my brain and body clearly still need to learn a lot more there. Since my outdoor practice time is basically limited to rounds these days, I tend to still KISS and prefer throwing hyzer(flips) of one kind or another since I intuitively better understand how to move to make them happen better and better over time and they're close to what I do with my indoor drive practice, then it's more just about learning the speed/disc/flight path interaction, which could take a lifetime.

Since I have always trended extreme hyzer and my misses are usually early releases due to posture collapse or blocks more than WTF Richards these days, I am usually working with drivers that start with flip going left-to-right and then either keep turning or fade back. I do think there are obvious advantages to a more overstable game but forcing my body to do that has always been harder than starting on hyzer and then recently working to tone it down when needed/use more OS where it makes sense, etc. Interestingly I still find throwing true flat or true anhyzer release angles much easier from a standstill, and I'm usually using my X-step when I want more "free" power anyway.

I have a friend who started out only being able to throw true anhyzer because he couldn't brace at all who tries to convince everyone to throw flat. He noticed that I tend to overcomplicate some shots and convinced me that there are indeed real situations where throwing flatter with a simpler flight path will benefit me, so I am learning from him - but we compromised at me throwing less harsh hyzers, which as he put it "is fine as long as you do whatever you are doing consistently" :). I told him part of the reason that I didn't want to throw flat was not just stubbornness - I get hurt faster when I try to throw truly flat release angles no matter how I am moving, and especially as I approach driving speeds.

Everyone's a little different and everyone probably finds compromises between their tendencies and what is "ideal" as their game develops, I'd expect.

I'm pretty sure after 30 minutes I would start saying crap like

"Wow, Paul has pretty long legs for his height. Is he a 30" inseam or a sneaky 34"?"

"You know, sometimes you gotta drive AND upshot AND putt for dough."

"Well, it looks like this hole is pretty much mopped up, and what else is new? These women are excellent. You know, Steve West did an analysis suggesting that there are in fact no convincingy statistical differences between people that fans call 'woods players' and 'open course players' on tour. But he didn't publish it because he was worried it would upset people. Do you think we should call him now?"

"It looked like on that shot he had slightly more anterior pelvic tilt than we're used to seeing which impeded his space through the pocket and led to some collapsing posture and compensation on the front side, but we'd have to rewind the tape and show you framewise. Jerm, go get some beers because this is going to take a while to explain."

I like the banter and fooling around, so I'm not complaining about that @Jaani

I only don't like that they, as pros, and commentators are really confusing with the already difficult to pick up terminology surprisingly often. Sometimes they get serious with it and correct each other and other times they are really off and don't seem to notice or care. This case was especially bad because they got a REPLAY that made it much more clear what happened but Jerm was already saying and thinking one thing initially and just kinda kept going with that thought while he had a perfect example in a replay to answer his own question he was exclaiming with shock.

I don't expect people to be able to see the release angle exactly, unless it's slow mo'd which I've stated before as a problem that limit how accurate the terms can be since in many cases what is noticed is the disc's angle after some amount of flipping instead of noticing the angle at the moment of release, but this example was a perfect case to see it clearly on a replay with a perfect camera angle.

I've done live lectures for hours at a time for software engineering to students who don't know the terms, it's not the same, but I know to some degree what it's like to have lots of technical terms and an audience that doesn't know them and try to be careful with the distinctions and I have higher expectations about the technical details when you are both a veteran pro and a veteran commentator.

@Brychanus I like that apex putter comment and feel like a lot of people miss it, it's funny because I had a really nice deep C2 birdie putt for a star frame save where while setting up for it, for a moment, I realized how weird it might've looked because I was looking at some leaves like 10 feet above and 10 feet to the right of the basket. Probably looked like I was spacing out / staring off into space, lol. But it happened to almost be the perfect apex aim point and it hyzer'd into the back of the basket without hitting chains and swirled around the basket.

1715093939494.png
1715094652853.png

Noticed Gavin Rathbun seems to use the F1P-3 grip alignment. In the first pic you can see the disc resting pinky-side of the palm. Also, that thumb position usually results from this alignment. What's interesting though is when I grip it hard in this alignment, it bends the disc between the thumb and the pinky side of the palm contact points but whenever I see a pro using this grip, I haven't seen the disc bending. I suspect pros who use this grip alignment don't use a lot of thumb pressure since the thumb is in front of the index finger and therefore unsupported underneath if you add a lot of thumb pressure (hence my disc bends when I do). I'm used to a lot of thumb pressure since my normal grip alignment of F1P0 results in the thumb able to be placed directly above the index finger (if not moved to the deep flight plate).

I need to retest the F1P-3 grip with less thumb pressure now to see the impact (but will keep firm pressure on the other fingers). But then of course I'll also want to compare low thumb pressure with F1P0 as well. But I'm also wanting to test things with max power more now as well.. which is tough since it takes longer because I can't do as many reps. And I might've just gotten a minor meniscus tear in my right knee now from pickleball to balance out the one in my left knee.. yikes.

I've done live lectures for hours at a time for software engineering to students who don't know the terms, it's not the same, but I know to some degree what it's like to have lots of technical terms and an audience that doesn't know them and try to be careful with the distinctions and I have higher expectations about the technical details when you are both a veteran pro and a veteran commentator.

@Brychanus I like that apex putter comment and feel like a lot of people miss it, it's funny because I had a really nice deep C2 birdie putt for a star frame save where while setting up for it, for a moment, I realized how weird it might've looked because I was looking at some leaves like 10 feet above and 10 feet to the right of the basket. Probably looked like I was spacing out / staring off into space, lol. But it happened to almost be the perfect apex aim point and it hyzer'd into the back of the basket without hitting chains and swirled around the basket.
I was just trying to explain how to express multilevel crossed and nested models in R to PhD students, one with a sharp clinical background and one a sharp programmer. Even starting with a simple picture and the most basic line of code imaginable it took a good 15 minutes of sharpening up what we were all saying before it seemed like we were all saying the same thing, and I had to revisit a couple concepts I had mostly forgotten and was second-guessing until we finally all built the rationale "from scratch" together. Brains are weird, dude.

Speaking of apexes and brains and brain training, I remembered this post by SocraDeez about how the eyes start to flick back and forth between the apex and the location of the plant in advanced form:

Rathbun: I still like thinking & tinkering with grip-body interactions a bit. Earlier in that same thread Sidewinder had a few "address" clips from Rathbun that have since died, but I recall that Rathbun has externally rotated hips and his move seems to emphasize a lot of horizontal abduction (whereas Simons' tends to also have noticeably more vertical shoulder abduction like a dingle arm that tracks with his entire postural "centrifuge" - the part of his move that is still moving more like a pendulum). Maybe the Rathbun move works better with a more linear shift and slightly flatter overall move in the shift toward the target, in which it also seems intuitive you can apply or need less thumb pressure to commit through the release point, or at least different than maybe Simon, Klein, or GG. Maybe with the thumb that far forward it's a little more naturally leveraged by the thumb without adding additional pressure, too. My arm action seems to have more shoulder abduction like Simon or GGs or a dingle arm drill; if I take some of that shoulder abduction away and let the thumb go more forward (which is a little awkward on wide rims since I have short digits) I get something more like you're describing with Rathbun. Physically I find it significantly easier to throw more like the dingle arm but it seems possible that something like that is happening for Rathbun.

Somewhere past 50 mph the thumb is basically just an alignment guide and the grip pressure is from the 4 digits crushing like a grip strength machine. At least for me. This applies to stacked fan grips and 3 and 2 finger grips too.

I can throw with my thumb off the disc completely but my release height suffers in consistency.

Somewhere past 50 mph the thumb is basically just an alignment guide and the grip pressure is from the 4 digits crushing like a grip strength machine. At least for me. This applies to stacked fan grips and 3 and 2 finger grips too.

I can throw with my thumb off the disc completely but my release height suffers in consistency.
For me and my normal grip I feel a consistent thumb pressure pinch point that is pretty equal to the effort my index and middle finger are gripping with through the swing at my max speeds.

But when I switch to the F1P-3 alignment the thumb naturally moves quite a bit in front of the index finger (without feeling like you are trying to reach the thumb further) so a thumb + index pinch point isn't really available / practical, so the thumb doesn't have much to press against and therefore, I think, naturally becomes more of a guide and takes a backseat role.

When I first did the grip comparison though I was so used to having a certain amount of thumb pressure that I just kept it anyways and so it ended up bending the disc when in front of the index finger.

@Brychanus with my normal F1P0 alignment I cannot move the thumb in front of the index finger, it simple doesn't have enough reach. I can move it a bit more forward but all of it's force is still supported by the index finger under it. If I try to move it further forward I end up "cheating" and changing the grip alignment. You can always move the thumb more into the flight plate or closer to the rim in either grip alignment, but how far forward it is compared to the index finger is mostly a function of the alignment of the disc in the hand it seems. E.g., F1P0 with deep flight plate (DFP) thumb position, or rim FP seam position, it's still not in front of the index finger, but both of those thumb positions with F1P-3 for me are in front of the index finger.

Latest posts