• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iphone app for ranging throws???

MGregg85

Does anyone know of a good app for ranging the distance of your throw? I'm not talking about using it to see how far I am from the pin, I just want to have a quick estimate of how far I threw my disc.

I guess i'm not sure how to do this in google earth. I did find MyCaddie Pro which is a free app, it has maps of a lot of golf courses but the cool part is that you can map your own local courses with google earth on your home computer/laptop so I added my local disc golf course and the next time I play I'll try it out.

This might be something we could really adapt to disc golf use if people put in the time to add their courses.

You could always throw from the pin, walk to your disc, and then look to see how far you are from the pin.

I don't have an iphone though so I'm not useful for suggesting alternate apps to what you already have.

I guess i'm not sure how to do this in google earth.

Just zoom in on an area of the globe where you're throwing. Click on the ruler tool to bring out the tape. Click and hold from the "tee" and drag to where you threw. In my experience, if you throw around large enough objects (baseball fields, sheds, goals, etc.) you'll have enough markers for reference.

Bottom line, I'm not sure the iPhone can do this. I don't have one. Google Earth might be terribly slow on a phone because of all the bandwidth it needs to run efficiently quickly. Just use a desktop to get the idea. Write them down and return to the field. Then you'll have a bearing on your distance next time you practice.

Latest posts