• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it better to have many discs or just a few?

Well, I kind of got it because it was so heavy and I was feeling a bit cheeky. I don't know what IIRC means. Also I was wondering why they would make a disc that is too heavy... seemed kind of odd to me.

I don't compete so it doesn't really matter. Maybe some day...

My Drone's weight sticker said 177+ and I weighed it at the store and it was a bit overweight. I then weighed all my other discs to find that they all weighed a gram or 2 more than the disc said. I was wondering if this is a common occurrence. Maybe Discraft is making outlaw discs... :eek:

i carry 20 discs but only 9 molds. none of my duplicates fly the same, for example i carry a first and second run shock. i have a very stable volt and one that turns a lot, same with the amps. max weight tensor min weight tensor, then one eclipse one neutron for the rest of the line up. i carry 4 ions, really only putt with one, but have an exact replica of it on hand. have one i could lose, and one baller soft neutron ion.

i like my lineup, probably wouldn't dump anything but there are definitely some that stay in the bag all round.

I think I own about 50 discs.. 10 of which are wizards for practicing my putting at home with my (costco) practice basket with added inner chains.

Some discs I own aren't molds I keep in my bag, but they are discs that I find interesting and could potentially use. Fo4 example I might take out a buzzz(I always have two in the bag) and add my m2 if its gonna be a pretty windy day.

Other than that I just have multiples of the discs I like to throw. I carry 22 discs in the bag and it works pretty well. I have most shots covered.. check sig for molds.

My problem as a beginning player is that I have a huge bag and a ton of discs...and I'm far from a master of most of them. I often think my game would be better if I carried 3 discs instead of 30

My problem as a beginning player is that I have a huge bag and a ton of discs...and I'm far from a master of most of them. I often think my game would be better if I carried 3 discs instead of 30

Pick your 5 most used discs, and play a few rounds with just those 5. Bet you score better than ever.

I carry 23 discs only to throw 90% of my shots with one of 4 discs :Teebird, Valk, Wizard, or Voodoo.

I guess I'm a masochist....

Pick your 5 most used discs, and play a few rounds with just those 5. Bet you score better than ever.

Truth! One of my casual rounds soon is going to be an Inoova Classics bag, with Wizards tho. I'm not going to mess with my putting. Roc/Stingray/Teebird/Leopard/Wiz.

The number doesn't matter as long as you throw what you carry. No point in carrying extra disc.

I only carry 2 different molds of distance drivers, but I carry many of those molds. I'm a little more diverse with the fairway drivers with four molds...three if you count the CE TL as a Teebird as well, but again, I carry multiples.

Where I really get a lot of molds is my mids and putters. Currently in my bag I've got 5-6 mids, depending on your definition (I use the DGA Breaker as my short mid though it is technically a putter) and I have the Jokeri for my driving putter, Rhynos for drives and approaches and Pures for putting.

I like my set up, but there are plenty of players who carry less and are better than me. There's also players who carry more and are better than me. It's whatever works.

I usually carry 14 discs. 4 putters and whatever mids and drivers I need for the course I'm playing. I almost always use all 14 discs in a typical round.

Although I haven't bought all of the discs, I have bought and have given a serious tryout to most of them. If you're playing 3 or more rounds per week, I would advise doing this. IMO, trying out new stuff is more fun than "beating that same old disc to death". I was so glad I started buying Swedish plastic. It works for my game. Find what works for you the fun way... and keep those plastic injection machines busy.

Words of wisdom :D

I also wanted to ask what sort of weights you prefer for your discs. Right now my drivers are all around 171g, my putter is 175g, and I have a 176g Buzzz and a 182g Drone. I love the Buzzz but my Drone is new and I haven't thrown it a whole lot, it has basically no glide and is like throwing a brick. Although I did get it just to have a super OS disc for strong hooks, so I don't expect to throw it 300+ feet.

I guess I am just wondering if I should consider a heavier or lighter driver (Also I didn't want to start another thread just to ask this question, I hope that's ok).

Best weight for all discs is between 167 to 170.

Lighter weights are easier to throw and easier to control when weathered a bit.

I've been throwing these weights for a while now and my distance and form just keeps getting better and better.

Best weight for all discs is between 167 to 170.

Lighter weights are easier to throw and easier to control when weathered a bit.

I've been throwing these weights for a while now and my distance and form just keeps getting better and better.

Pretty broad stroke there, wouldn't you say?

As for the OP's question, play around with different weights. I used to only throw max weight (thought it'd make me more of a man), but once I picked up some lighter weights, I was amazed at the variation a couple grams can give.

I like my understable discs to be a little lighter, they'll glide further in a tail. And conversely, I like my headwind discs to be a little closer to max weight.

Depends on the player

I think that you should have a good amount of disc's but it depends on the player. You want to get use to certain discs that you do good with but you also want to give other disc a chance because you might be better with the other disc. I like it when i find a disc i have no clue about so i end up throwing it better and when you find disc's that you like to play with you can by multiples to get the best you can out of your game:clap::thmbup:

indecision is not good for shot making. I pretty much know what I'm throwing at the courses I play the most, unless it is unusually windy

15-20 discs ok if 2-3 of the same molds/back-ups/multiple putters

15-20 disc not ok if 10 different drivers/brands that all do the same thing and 5 different mids and 5 different putters. Most newer players will start of this way but will eventually see what other wiser players do and then follow by example. It's not something that can be told to them. Obviously, you're not a newer player, but that's the philosophy.

15-20 discs ok if 2-3 of the same molds/back-ups/multiple putters

15-20 disc not ok if 10 different drivers/brands that all do the same thing and 5 different mids and 5 different putters. Most newer players will start of this way but will eventually see what other wiser players do and then follow by example. It's not something that can be told to them. Obviously, you're not a newer player, but that's the philosophy.

I've never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

I'm a second year player, and I carry about 20 discs. The main reason for this is, I don't know them all as intimately as I'd like (insert pun here). For the most part, I know what they all do, but one of my favorite things to do (when given the chance), is to try to throw 10 different discs at the same line. Or bomb the same amount off an elevated tee, to really see the flight patterns. Mostly just seeing what is possible with each disc.

Out of those 20, I probably really use 3 or 4 drivers, 2 or 3 mids, and 1 putter. Maybe I just like to feel like I'm burning more calories by carrying a heavier bag.

Latest posts