• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it better to have many discs or just a few?

I carry 11 different molds, and 1 backup for each in case of loss.

I used to carry about 5 molds, and had multiple "break-in" levels for different shots.

For me, i would rather have all newer discs, that barely break-in and are consistently the way they start. It makes my playing more consistent than continually learning how my always breaking-in discs flies. (which white 180g KC Roc is my super beat-in US one and not my super beat-in straight one?)

I have discs designed for different flight paths, with very little overlap for the same shot. I walk up and look at the path to the basket, take in account the wind/elevation/density of obstacles, and I have a single disc to use for that exact toss. Easy and consistent for me. i'm much more confident on the course now, knowing that I have the disc for basically every shot I need

Pardon me for being too lazy to read this entire thread to see if anyone else feels the same way as I do...

The OP stated the question:
"Is it better to have many discs or just a few?"

I thusly answer:
"MANY DISCS!" "DISCS ARE GOOD!" "MORE DISCS ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN LESS DISCS!"

Salivating disc-whore rant off.

Karl
Ps: Yeh, I think it's a disease....

i carry my discs in my hand

I play with 4 discs and I just carry them in my hand.

As an experiment in 2011, I played all year using only an Aviar, a Roc, an Eagle and a Valkyrie. The freedom of playing without a bag was as much fun as I'd expected, but I was surprised to find my game took a noticeable jump up. Since then I've been using a variety of discs, but I still just carry four unless it's a course with significant lost disc potential.

I believe I gain more than I lose using this minimilist approach. As I see it, the biggest issue in my game is operator error and using the same discs all the time helps me with that.

But then I'm one of these old guys who've been playing a long time and I'm just in it for the good times.

what is the record for most discs carried for a tournament?

200? or more than that?

Pardon me for being too lazy to read this entire thread to see if anyone else feels the same way as I do...

The OP stated the question:
"Is it better to have many discs or just a few?"

I thusly answer:
"MANY DISCS!" "DISCS ARE GOOD!" "MORE DISCS ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN LESS DISCS!"

Salivating disc-whore rant off.

Karl
Ps: Yeh, I think it's a disease....
Haha well yea I agree!
I play with 4 discs and I just carry them in my hand.

As an experiment in 2011, I played all year using only an Aviar, a Roc, an Eagle and a Valkyrie. The freedom of playing without a bag was as much fun as I'd expected, but I was surprised to find my game took a noticeable jump up. Since then I've been using a variety of discs, but I still just carry four unless it's a course with significant lost disc potential.

I believe I gain more than I lose using this minimilist approach. As I see it, the biggest issue in my game is operator error and using the same discs all the time helps me with that.

But then I'm one of these old guys who've been playing a long time and I'm just in it for the good times.
That's awesome, though. I like that approach, keep it simple. You then learn exactly how every disc behaves and how to throw them to do what you want. Although I think it would be less freedom without a bag since you can't use it to hold a drink and your car keys, etc! I don't like having stuff in my pockets when I play.

I pretty much have one backup of everything in my bag. Losing a disc is a psychological thing I don't want to deal with during a round; having a back up so I can still cover that shot helps.

When I first started I was under the mind set that carrying a few discs and make them do what you want was easier than having many discs and let them do the work. I'm the opposite now, as I carry something like 20-25 (including backups of most) for varying shots.

Do they all get used on the course? Depends on which course, but most of the time, absolutely not. But to me it's comforting knowing I have the disc for the job when the time arises, as opposed to a lighter load and potentially not having that disc you need bagged.

Is it better to have many discs or just a few?

Yes :D

I have found that I can throw my Roc3 more consistently than any disc in my bag. That being said I am only pushing it out to just over 300' so the fairway drivers will stay. Also I like over stable for my forehand since I'm usually throwing them when I want a disc to go hard right. My other rocs (KC, DX) are needed because I like that they turn for me and have great glide. Oh, and I really like throwing putters so the Pure and Sinus stay. I probably carry too many discs, but they all get thrown occasionally. A lineup of Wizard-Roc-Leopard-Teebird would be interesting/fun I think

First off, as previously stated it depends on what course your playing. For a short chip & putt course you can get away with only using a small number of discs. For short courses i use my small bag with about 10 discs & for very short courses i use 3-5 discs. If im going to play a course i've never played before or a very difficult course/a course that requires a large variety of shots I use my whole arsenal of about 30 discs. Another factor that decides how many discs you should carry is what kind of player you are/what shots you throw. I have a friend who only throws overhand so he only uses 3 discs (2 drivers & 1 putter) he is very good player who has won quite a few tournaments. He refuses to carry any more discs than 3, so his full arsenal is only 3 discs. My full arsenal is around 30 discs because I throw backhand, sidearm, tomahawk, thumber, & backhand roller & I need a adequate number of discs to shape different lines with each type of shot. A lot of disc golfers throw mostly backhand with the occasional overhand or sidearm shot to get out of trouble or only for a few tee shots. Because many players do this mostly backhand style of play they don't need more than about 15 discs as there full arsenal. Also weather conditions & wind change what discs you should carry (example: a couple more overstable discs on a windy day or discs with more grip on a wet/rainy day). Also carrying the least number of molds & the least number of total discs when possible is a good idea to say the least. So its a good idea to carry copies of the same mold. With that said if someone is just starting to play disc golf they don't need a lot of discs because they need to master the fundamentals before expanding their disc collecting. With all that said its the indian not the arrow, so a great player with a few discs can slaughter a decent player with a lot discs at their disposal. Hope this helps.

I'd say for beginers 1-3 disks are perfect so you can learn how they fly and slowly add more disks as you master more skills of the game and know how disks fly. No point in going out and playing if you have a bunch of disks and how no clue how they fly. Might as well just have 1 disk that you know like the back of your hand imo.

I would not advertise that weight. Max weight for a Drone is 180.0 IIRC.

I use mids around 175, drivers 170, putters 169-172

Max weight of Drone is 178.5 actually. Though most of the Z Drones are at least 180g.

When I began playing last fall I started out with five or six discs, but this quickly grew in number. I've limited myself to 13 discs because that is what fits in my bag. I don't want to go to a bigger bag because this one fits in my motorcycle side bag. Besides, the "baker's dozen" covers all of my shots thus far.

Just this past Monday though, my son suggested that our second round at Bear Creek (Grapevine, TX) be a "two disc round" and I picked a Z Buzzz and a Z Comet since BC is a somewhat short course and my Buzzz drives well and the Comet shapes shots well and can also putt. Surprise, surprise, I shot a 61 with my full bag and a 59 with the two discs.

Still, I'll mostly carry and play a full bag.

Curtis

Last edited:
Most people start out with 3-4 discs, then get hooked and start trying new molds. This usually leads to a bag with say 8-12 discs. Next on the cycle as you progress is looking for that magical disc or thinking you need a monster and firebird, which you might. I see a ton of folks with up to 20 discs.

Your much better off in the long run simplifying your bag. Amount of discs is just a function of if your breaking in new ones or have a few extras for losing on massive courses. But I'd suggest following the classic innova model for molds and modify for vendor.

avair, roc, teebird, whatever fast driver, firebird. This is a simple bag for someone just throughing one handed (bh or fh but not both). Philo is a good example.

So then you could expand to flipping putter, straight putter, new stable off the tee putter...same with 3 rocs...flippy, straight, new. Same with teebirds although you might only need two. Maybe 4 destroyers of different beatness. One two firebirds.

You could expand to add flippy molds in fairway and fast drivers...such as leos and sidewinders, but honestly your better in the long run learning the flip shot with a putter or mid...or learning sidearm or thumber.

Max weight of Drone is 178.5 actually. Though most of the Z Drones are at least 180g.

I was mistaken then. I couldn't remember exactly. It is common knowledge that Discraft has trouble producing the Drone mold in Z and CryZtal plastics without it being overweight.

I'd say for beginners 1-3 disks are perfect so you can learn how they fly and slowly add more disks as you master more skills of the game and know how disks fly.

That is my strategy. I have only a few but purchased them when I had no real clue what I was buying. Now since I have obsessed and learned more about myself I'm purchasing the correct disc but only want 3 or 4 main disc's. Since I don't know what I NEED I'll stick the the main types until I know myself more.

I'm not in love with my Avair P&G though . . . but maybe it's ME and not the putter.

Is the question about "having" or "carrying"?

I have many duplicates of discs I carry so I can take them to the field and practice with the same mold. I also compare molds and try different weights.

It's also pretty well established the different individual discs of the same mold fly differently, and that's good to know when throwing a hole with OB/water/schule in play.