• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Super Cali fair?

Is Super Cali fair

• Total voters

ERicJ

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Seems like typical doubles rules for the odd-man-out or "Cali" player involve giving him one extra throw per hole. Recent local play/discussion has brought up the option for the odd-man-out to pay the entry fee twice and get "Super Cali" (aka "schizo" in some areas) which allows him to throw twice from every lie and choose the best one.

The local discussion revolves around whether the same player throwing the second shot themselves is the equivalent (in terms of fairness) to having a partner throw the second shot.

Looking to get some outsider opinions

Thats how I run my league. More often than not that person still struggles. It is an advantage but you are paying twice and that adds risk.

I RARELY have anyone pay twice. they just do 1 throw per hole for free.

It depends I think. In a situation where two players are strong in separate areas, FH vs BH or accuracy vs distance, good putter not a good putter they will probably be better off with a partner. Though if a player is well rounded in most areas the extra throw is a big advantage. Being able to adjust off the first throw.

Paying twice? No! That doesn't make sense to me.

AND ----- ONE------- extra throw per hole, their choice which one.

Depending on the skill level I could see a huge advantage when putting. There is less pressure and if you are a decent putter you can adjust your second shot.

It might depend on how many discs the player carries too. If he has one disc for a certain shot then it might be harder to hit the same line with a second disc.

They do this at my local league occasionally...only the player paying twice only gets TWO extra throws per hole, not twice from each lie.

It is almost always a bad deal for the player, from what I can tell.

If you allow Super Cali, my suggestion is to not let the Cali player make their second throw/putt right away and have at least one other person in the group make their throw before the Cali player makes their second attempt. That minimizes any grooving effect, especially on putts.

My own opinion on the matter is that traditional Cali rules of one extra throw per hole is generally not enough to make up for the lack of a partner throwing a second shot from every lie. But... giving the same player the ability to throw, see the result, make corrections, and re-throw, then choosing the best one is generally more advantageous than having a partner.

I like the "mulligan" modification that if you want to pay twice, you get the option to throw twice from each lie... but if you throw the second shot you must play from the second shot.

Interesting. Sounds like Super Cali is a little bit Overpowered for the solo guy. Like the alternative forms of it better. Although I'm sure I'd still be little threat solo in the Pro/Am doubles I play.

This thread reminds me of Menu items at Coffee Shops in Amsterdam.

Doubles get's two throws per shot....Cali gets one extra throw per hole, it's not fair at all for the one person playing Cali.

I think super cali where someone gets two shots per lie is a bit ridiculous. I do like the idea of two extra shots per hole however. And as far as fairness goes, it really just depends on the player. It's a big disadvantage for a lower skilled player to play cali no matter the method, and a advantage for a higher skilled player. In reality, it's never going to be completely fair when someone plays cali/super cali.

The so called rule is one extra shot per hole for the single guy except....if you pay twice like a regular group would, you get 1 extra shot per throw. Doesnt make sense to pay half as much as a doubles group to get same amount of shots as them and take all the money instead of splitting it.

I don't run my doubles with a super Cali. I do give Cali an extra drive on the par 4 holes with another shot to be used at their discretion.

When I play Cali and pay twice I'm always told to play as LHBH for one throw and RHBH for the other.

My own opinion on the matter is that traditional Cali rules of one extra throw per hole is generally not enough to make up for the lack of a partner throwing a second shot from every lie. But... giving the same player the ability to throw, see the result, make corrections, and re-throw, then choosing the best one is generally more advantageous than having a partner.

I like the "mulligan" modification that if you want to pay twice, you get the option to throw twice from each lie... but if you throw the second shot you must play from the second shot.

I agree here. Reg Cali is a disadvantage, super Cali is an advantage. I like you're mulligan idea.

And I've seen the local talk:| The topic got alot of attention. I can't believe though that they are doing a mini where everyone is playing super cali. That's gonna take forever and, they never limit 4 to a card as they say they do. I'm gonna pass on this traveling mini.