• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this supposed to be a joke? (Hole #3 Disctractions @ Hueston Woods)

I played this course once and really enjoyed it! I don't particularly remember how I approached this hole but this is the course where I realized how useful a forehand shot can be in a variety of situations.

fbf763d4.jpg

Here's the photo i took last fall. Looks ok to me. i've seen worse.

I'll have to get out there to see it myself, but I think I'd try a flex RHFH shot from the right side of the tee box. Maybe even from a standstill if I had to reach out far enough to get around the tree and keep a foot on the pad.
290wxax.jpg

I hate trees that are immediately in front of tee pads. It is not a design flaw in my opinion, I just hate it because it accentuates the worst part of my game; forehand shots. 95% of the time if I need to go right, I have figured out the perfect arm speed to snap to power ratio in order to get my disc to go right from a normal backhand shot.

Holes like this, such as BRP #16/17 (depending on layout), have a tree immediately in front of the tee, giving me no margin for error for that kind of shot, or it forces me into a throw that is hit or miss at best.

However, again I do not consider it a bad hole because it is forcing me to step outside my normal game. My strategy would still be the same, make sure whatever I do do for an opening shot is clean enough that no matter where I land I can consistently and easily save it for par in case the first shot is not perfect.

fbf763d4.jpg

Looks like a fun hole. Buzzz ss through the left gap, unless that left fairway edge is closer and/or thicker than it appears.

Looks like a fun hole. Buzzz ss through the left gap, unless that left fairway edge is closer and/or thicker than it appears.
I'd hyzer-flip a beat Comet instead of the Buzzz. Flexing a Hornet through that left gap would work too. Either way, if you take a little off the shot you should be able to par the hole. Those are the types of holes that I use to teach newbs to take what the course gives you, instead of trying to score on every hole.

I'll have to get out there to see it myself, but I think I'd try a flex RHFH shot from the right side of the tee box. Maybe even from a standstill if I had to reach out far enough to get around the tree and keep a foot on the pad.
290wxax.jpg

Let me know when you go there so I can watch you climb down the ravine to get your disc. :)

I had a nasty ricochet Saturday from the other tee that kicked way right and was sure I was in the ravine. Turned out I was nowhere near it. There's a lot more real estate than it seems unless you run long. With the lines you have to throw, it's best to play the hole short. It just doesn't pay to run at this pin from either tee.

Let me know when you go there so I can watch you climb down the ravine to get your disc. :)

Ha! I've never played Hueston Woods but I'll try to get down there in the next month or two. If (when) I throw my disc in the ravine I'll be sure to let you know.

fbf763d4.jpg

The first pic didn't really show the skinny trees to the right, I too liked the RHFH flex idea, or even a decent hyzer with a Zone around the first two trees to the right.

With this pic, as a RHBH, I would go left gap - turning a Tangent or Tursas over to a gentle straight/right fade up the fairway.

Well this is no joke. We have many holes like this in MN. I prefer to play courses like this. Wide open holes are a joke.

I like the updated pics, and I still think it looks like a great hole. I love choices from the tee. I headed to the course page and saw it's 300' from here? If I'm there, I'm turning over something from the left window and getting around 200' from it if I hit it.

Hudson Mills Original #17 had a tee-off like this. I haven't played it in probably 10 years and am not sure if it still exists like it did in the 1990s, but I loved it. You could lolly-gag something through there a little more easily and have a more lengthy difficult 2nd shot, or try to rip one through there to get closer for shot #2, but face a greater risk of nailing the trees right in front of you, and you're probably bogeying if you fail. Each day I played it, I felt differently about what I could do at the moment and had to think about it.

Not boring.

Managed to hit that flex RHBH shot with my trusty Leo.. then hit a tree on the approach. :doh:

Still parred it, though (it's a 4). Thanks for all the input! Trying a couple of different approaches has made me much more aware of that "hit" point in my backhand.

Im going with a leo or buzzz on that one. A lot of my regular courses have 2-3 holes like this especially from advanced.

gentle underworld shot for me. Turn it over slightly to miss that middle tree to the right, then it will hook up a little up toward the basket.

The first pic didn't really show the skinny trees to the right, I too liked the RHFH flex idea, or even a decent hyzer with a Zone around the first two trees to the right.

With this pic, as a RHBH, I would go left gap - turning a Tangent or Tursas over to a gentle straight/right fade up the fairway.

Much better pic,,way more room in the middle than it looked like. Thats not even that tight, plenty of room just to go up the middle with a teebird/volt/saint.

Latest posts